Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Coast Buy or Rent?

Brisbane Coast Buy or Rent?

Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Michellemabelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane Coast Buy or Rent?

Hi, I’m waiting for my 547 visa for a job in Brisbane CBD, ETA September, fingers crossed. I’ll be bringing my son with me, he’ll be on a working holiday visa for now, but looking to go to Uni next year. 1st question, buy or rent? I know the property prices in some areas have dropped but I plan on staying for 3 years plus, and I suspect a permanent move. I’m looking for a 4 bed house, bay views a must. 2nd question, where to move? I want to stay near the coast and commute, I fancy anything from Manly down to Redland Bay, anything within a 45 min commute. I also know that they have changed the law with regard to expats buying property in Oz, what are the new rules for a property being FIRB free?

I’m female, 30 something, single and pretty sociable and I’ve got loads of things I want to do e.g. sailing, horse riding, salsa, cooking, I’m sure I’ll meet plenty of folks. Are there any meet ups for the young team? My son is a typical bloke, into gadgets & girls, not necessarily in that order, he was studying computer art at Uni in Scotland and wants to fit that in as well. How is the job situation for his age group, where should he start to look for casual work? OK sorry, more than 2 questions, any help would be greatly appreciated….cheers.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 4:08 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Coast Buy or Rent?

Cleveland, Batside, sorry Bayside, there are some old bats there though!

Rent for at least a year till you find your feet!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Bayside a great area- but a four bed house in Manly with a view would be $850,000/1mill plus. Its a popular commute zone. Birkdale thornside and wellington point slightly cheaper. Check out realestate .com. Manly has great community vibe, lots going on and plenty of lovely cafes, but sleepy in the evening so son may find it too quiet. Cleveland has more evening life.
I would rent for 6 months too to give you an idea of areas.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Michellemabelle
Hi, I’m waiting for my 547 visa for a job in Brisbane CBD, ETA September, fingers crossed. I’ll be bringing my son with me, he’ll be on a working holiday visa for now, but looking to go to Uni next year. 1st question, buy or rent? I know the property prices in some areas have dropped but I plan on staying for 3 years plus, and I suspect a permanent move. I’m looking for a 4 bed house, bay views a must. 2nd question, where to move? I want to stay near the coast and commute, I fancy anything from Manly down to Redland Bay, anything within a 45 min commute. I also know that they have changed the law with regard to expats buying property in Oz, what are the new rules for a property being FIRB free?

I’m female, 30 something, single and pretty sociable and I’ve got loads of things I want to do e.g. sailing, horse riding, salsa, cooking, I’m sure I’ll meet plenty of folks. Are there any meet ups for the young team? My son is a typical bloke, into gadgets & girls, not necessarily in that order, he was studying computer art at Uni in Scotland and wants to fit that in as well. How is the job situation for his age group, where should he start to look for casual work? OK sorry, more than 2 questions, any help would be greatly appreciated….cheers.
I suggest thinking about how you will commute into the CBD. Possibly consider looking at locations near a station with views...suggestions would be Raby bay.....
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Bayside a great area- but a four bed house in Manly with a view would be $850,000/1mill plus. Its a popular commute zone. Birkdale thornside and wellington point slightly cheaper. Check out realestate .com. Manly has great community vibe, lots going on and plenty of lovely cafes, but sleepy in the evening so son may find it too quiet. Cleveland has more evening life.
I would rent for 6 months too to give you an idea of areas.
Here's a one with bay views.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...anly-107614858
Old Aug 18th 2011, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

If you are only staying for 3 years is it worth buying, we have a nasty thing called stamp duty (same as the UK) down here and on a $800,000 property without a mortgage it is $31,000. Plus when you leave and sell the property via an agent you will all incur fees of approx $25,000. This doesn't take into account any other fees you will have to pay, solicitor, advertising, pest inspection, various searches, etc.

Go into this with your eyes wide open, and I'd recommend you rent to begin with as a mistake could be very costly.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
If you are only staying for 3 years is it worth buying, we have a nasty thing called stamp duty (same as the UK) down here and on a $800,000 property without a mortgage it is $31,000. Plus when you leave and sell the property via an agent you will all incur fees of approx $25,000. This doesn't take into account any other fees you will have to pay, solicitor, advertising, pest inspection, various searches, etc.

Go into this with your eyes wide open, and I'd recommend you rent to begin with as a mistake could be very costly.
sometimes the nice ones are not available for rent........and if you rent you could be moving on a frequent basis which is also stressful and expensive