Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

brisbane bound may 2007

brisbane bound may 2007

Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

wooley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default brisbane bound may 2007

just a message to say hi because i am new to this site after many hours trawling others!!! we are heading to brisbane,we being me,my wife and 18 month old son.we have booked accomadation for 6 weeks in a place called bulimba near to the city,so if anyone knows what it is like could you please fill me in.I work as a carpenter and also just wondered if anyone had any info on the prospects of work for chippies on the sunshine coast,thats enough questions for now,got plenty more up my sleeve!!! cheers for any info wooley
Old Feb 27th 2007, 9:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: brisbane bound may 2007

Originally Posted by wooley
just a message to say hi because i am new to this site after many hours trawling others!!! we are heading to brisbane,we being me,my wife and 18 month old son.we have booked accomadation for 6 weeks in a place called bulimba near to the city,so if anyone knows what it is like could you please fill me in.I work as a carpenter and also just wondered if anyone had any info on the prospects of work for chippies on the sunshine coast,thats enough questions for now,got plenty more up my sleeve!!! cheers for any info wooley
Welcome to the forum. Bulimba is a nice spot - there are plenty of cafes and restaurants there, a cinema and it's only a small boat trip to the city
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Jayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really nice

Hi Wooley,

Good choice...Bulimba is a great place to base yourself for the first few weeks. Trendy community, lots of young families. The CityCat (High speed catamaran) will whiz you into the city or Southbank (a must to visit! You & your family will love it. Lots of development happening up on the Sunshine Coast, same as down on the Gold Coast, so good opportunities for you. Enjoy the adventure, Bisbane is a beautiful City! Good luck
Old Feb 27th 2007, 10:47 pm
Vickymed

vickymed will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wmoore
Welcome to the forum. Bulimba is a nice spot - there are plenty of cafes and restaurants there, a cinema and it's only a small boat trip to the city
Hi there i am new to all this and was wondering how you exactly go about moving to oz. The hubby really wants to go although i am still unsure but would like to know more about it
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:07 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Originally Posted by vickymed
Hi there i am new to all this and was wondering how you exactly go about moving to oz. The hubby really wants to go although i am still unsure but would like to know more about it
Start here http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm

Good luck
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:10 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely love Bulimba. We get our Thai take-away from the Thai Legend on Oxford street every Saturday.

It reminds me (slightly) of a European cafe-style locality but with it's own Australian flair.

Two major plus points are that (a) it's cheap night at the cinema on a Tuesday night and (b) you can travel into the CBD via the CityCat terminal at Bulimba (though it can take 40-45 minutes to reach Riverside or Southbank) which is a lovely trip at any time of the year (added advantage being that you don't need to drive into the city itself).

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Feb 28th 2007 at 2:26 am. Reason: WTF is a "RiverCat"?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Wooley
I also love Bulimba. We used to rent in Ascot, just over the northside of the river, and we used to get the city cat (water bus) to bulimba every now and then.
There's quicker ways of getting into city, but city cat is the nisest!
Good luck, hope to see some more posts from you in the future
Jen
Old Feb 28th 2007, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies nice to know we have chosen the right spot to ease us into a lonely start,wondered what the best way to meet new friends etc. was,would it be best to go to meets? p.s i dont think anyone is as close to their mum as my wife feel really guilty tearing her away,especially knowing my mum can afford to come over but hers cant wooley
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:26 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies nice to know we have chosen the right spot to ease us into a lonely start,wondered what the best way to meet new friends etc. was,would it be best to go to meets? p.s i dont think anyone is as close to their mum as my wife feel really guilty tearing her away,especially knowing my mum can afford to come over but hers cant wooley
Hey Wooley

Wlecome............I work very close to Bulimba and can agree with all other posters, it is a very nice place...

Unfortunately we could'nt afford to buy a property there, but if you fancy dinner / beer with families drop me a pm when you get here.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

jackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nicejackie barden is just really nice

Hi Welcome to the site. Its a great source of info...
We are also off to Brisbane in June but not quite sure where to relocate, possibly sunshine coast.
Good luck with the move, J and J
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: brisbane bound may 2007

Originally Posted by jackie barden
Hi Welcome to the site. Its a great source of info...
We are also off to Brisbane in June but not quite sure where to relocate, possibly sunshine coast.
Good luck with the move, J and J
hi j and j we were also looking at the sunshine coast ,have alook at a place called buderim which is in the mountains to the east,very tropical and not to far from the beach without being in the thick of it,not sure if its to far from brisbane if you had to work in the city
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:09 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Join every club and accept every invite you get. Dont limit yourself to expat meets and just get out there. You'll find the attitude here is friendly and people will talk to you. Sports, parent groups, clubs, you name it. Get involved and you'll do fine. We have more friends here after a couple of years than we had the UK.

As to the distance from family, that perhaps is the greatest hurdle of all for any of us on here. But then the present of an airplane ticket for the MIL would no doubt go down a treat.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: brisbane bound may 2007

Hi everyone

We are hopefully moving to the Gold Coast to start my Hairdressing course in May - all dependant on selling the house first! Got everything else sorted so fingers crossed.

Can't wait to get there, but we don't know anyone in the area- just me and my boyfriend going so would be great to hear from people around the Brisbane/Gold Coast area. We will have to find a place to rent soon, all soooo exciting - an end to those grey mornings!!

Est n Sambo x
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Jayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really niceJayne_sunrise is just really nice

Originally Posted by sambo76
Hi everyone

We are hopefully moving to the Gold Coast to start my Hairdressing course in May - all dependant on selling the house first! Got everything else sorted so fingers crossed.

Can't wait to get there, but we don't know anyone in the area- just me and my boyfriend going so would be great to hear from people around the Brisbane/Gold Coast area. We will have to find a place to rent soon, all soooo exciting - an end to those grey mornings!!

Est n Sambo x
Good Luck...LOTS happening on the Gold Coast you'll have a blast.
Good luck selling your house, could be this weekend!
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Jayne! Big bundle of Karma coming your way!
This time next year, we'll have forgotten this horrible limbo period, I hope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.