Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane and area reccie some notes!

Brisbane and area reccie some notes!

Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future
Default Brisbane and area reccie some notes!

Thought I would post some notes of my reccie – 3 weeks around Brisbane , Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. I would be interested if people think I got it about right or I missed something and perhaps someone will find something of interest.

Good points
Fantastic weather considering it was the equivalent of early March in the UK.
People generally friendlier than the UK – especially ex Pat Brits ironically
Children mostly much better behaved and politer than in the UK
Much bigger sense of pride in the country
Cleaner than the UK (except certain graffiti laden spots)

Bad points
House prices probably similar to the UK dependant on the area
Cost of living similar to the UK (except petrol which is cheaper).
I guess we expected the above to be more favourable given wages are lower
Children’s nappies, food etc much more expensive than the UK
Eating out – expensive

Some of the Areas visited

Noosa – fantastic spot to live but you wont get a decent property below $1M
Mooloolaba – liked it – clean and tidy – extremely laid back
Caloundra – liked it –could live there although bigger and busier than I expected
Caboolture – totally disliked and couldn’t leave quick enough, town centre especially was awful
Redcliffe – reminded me of a dated English seaside town –didn’t like at all
North Lakes – seemed like a new town without soul but nice properties – one to look at again
Brisbane – only got to see the city centre – liked a lot compared to UK cities
Hope Island – see Noosa comments (although certainly not as nice as Noosa)
Labrador – hmmm – if you like graffiti you will love it, everyone else stay clear
Southport – rough (and not the sea)!
Surfer’s – Blackpool with bigger buildings
Ormeau – really liked - big land plots with reasonable prices
Shailer Park – also liked – nice properties and very modern area – although hilly
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:20 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane and area reccie some notes!

Originally Posted by Iando
Thought I would post some notes of my reccie – 3 weeks around Brisbane , Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. I would be interested if people think I got it about right or I missed something and perhaps someone will find something of interest.

Good points

Bad points
Eating out – expensive

Caloundra – liked it –could live there although bigger and busier than I expected
Caboolture – totally disliked and couldn’t leave quick enough, town centre especially was awful
North Lakes – seemed like a new town without soul but nice properties – one to look at again
Labrador – hmmm – if you like graffiti you will love it, everyone else stay clear
Shailer Park – also liked – nice properties and very modern area – although hilly
Be aware that you came to Bris at the end of winter-early spring. It gets very hot and humid, especially from December to March. Temps can get into the high 30's and close to 95-100% humidity, Jan or Feb.
BTW, North Lakes is pretty much full of expat Brits and is know locally as Legoland.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough

Good points

Bad points
Eating out – expensive

you should have tried the bayside wynnum, manly, cleveland etc. very nice areas and a large expats community here, very good playgroups for kids and mums. north lakes - stayed there for 6months, nice houses thats all i can say. Also, in the summer months its a bit cooler south side because of the sea breeze, little hotter north side. We're loving it bayside.
gary
Old Sep 20th 2008, 4:11 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Good points

Bad points
Eating out – expensive

Can't really fault any of this ...
Old Sep 20th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

did you go anywere that wasnt on a river or the sea guess you like water think you have got it spot on, but there is a lot more to see when you go a few ks inland just discovering them my self gary
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:04 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about coming here on holiday is that whatever your opinions as a tourist are you can guarantee that they will have substantially changed in a couple of years in relation to areas and perceptions of the place.

I can honestly say that although I may have agreed with much of the original posting when we first moved to Australia, now there is much I would disagree with.

eg. Noosa would imo be a crap place to live. Wonderful if you are a tourist but try getting a decent paid job there and you will be sick of the transient touristy overpriced nature of it in short order. Surfers is not somewhere you would live. The gold coast hinterland around it is stunning and is residential rather than investment condo vacation apartments.

Having just been to the UK for a week I was stunned by the costs there of pretty much everything day to day. Restaurants, food in supermarkets and generally most things. To say that Australia is more expensive I think is purely let down that it is not the cheap place people may have envisioned.

Just my take on it. As I say, I suspect my impressions were probably very similar when I first moved here. The only thing I am glad of is that I didn't move to anywhere with the name "Lakes" or "Pines" or "Mango" in it....
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gaz & Sue
you should have tried the bayside wynnum, manly, cleveland etc. very nice areas and a large expats community here, very good playgroups for kids and mums. north lakes - stayed there for 6months, nice houses thats all i can say. Also, in the summer months its a bit cooler south side because of the sea breeze, little hotter north side. We're loving it bayside.
gary

If you were to recommend a neighborhood based on schools and public transport going to CBD - which ones would you recommend? Thanks!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiger222
If you were to recommend a neighborhood based on schools and public transport going to CBD - which ones would you recommend? Thanks!
I personally would recommend Wellington Point, but there again I am biased as I love where we live.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mand8002
I personally would recommend Wellington Point, but there again I am biased as I love where we live.
Thanks for that, Mand. What Public schools do the kids go to from Wellington Point?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

Thanks all for the responds - some great points made in reply.
I will definitely take a look at the Bayside and do some research - someone told us about it on the last day we were there as well but had no time to get there for a look.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Toowong, Taringa, Indooripilly, St.lucia etc.etc......there are lots of suburbs which fit that bill to the west of the CBD

G
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:52 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Good points

Bad points
Eating out – expensive

Would agree with most of your points. Although i think to compare UK house prices with here is a bit pointless.
Yeah property prices have increased significantly recently, but in my opinion you get far more for your money here.
If you think what most terraced houses are fetching in the uk now, for not much more you can get huge houses on biggish plots here.

Apparently Aldi is the place for good quality cheap nappies.......
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:47 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on, and why I think a reccie is a total waste of money !
Originally Posted by Centurion
I can honestly say that although I may have agreed with much of the original posting when we first moved to Australia, now there is much I would disagree with.

eg. Noosa would imo be a crap place to live. Wonderful if you are a tourist but try getting a decent paid job there and you will be sick of the transient touristy overpriced nature of it in short order. Surfers is not somewhere you would live. The gold coast hinterland around it is stunning and is residential rather than investment condo vacation apartments.

Having just been to the UK for a week I was stunned by the costs there of pretty much everything day to day. Restaurants, food in supermarkets and generally most things. To say that Australia is more expensive I think is purely let down that it is not the cheap place people may have envisioned.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

I'm with you mand8002, we have lived on the Bayside (Cleveland) nearly three years now and love the area, close to waters edge, and not too far to travel to local attractions
Always difficult when doing a reccie as you try to visit so many different places in such a short time, although you did cover quite a few areas.
Good Luck

Neill, Sharon and Jasmin
www.auspitality.com.au
Luxury Short Term Accommodation
Brisbane - Bayside

Last edited by spadgersdad; Sep 23rd 2008 at 2:41 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, Mand. What Public schools do the kids go to from Wellington Point?
Wellington Point State School and then Wellington Point State High School

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.