Brisbane advice

Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane advice

Hi, moving over to Brisbane with wife and 2 kids in January and looking for some advice from anyone in Brisbane.

I've done a lot of research on the schools and have got the list down to about 5 schools in an area with a train station and 5 in areas without, I will be working in Fortitude Valley so would prefer to get there by train or by another method of public transport that's just as quick. Would appreciate any answers to the following

1.Chapel Hill State School has excellent results, but Chapel Hill looks quite far out. What are the public transport links (bus I assume) like with CBD and what's an average journey time?

2. As above with Rainworth State school in Bardon, what are the public transport links like and average journey time from Bardon to CBD?

3. Part of me fancies living near the coast and I have researched Manly, however the schools in that area don't have as good results. Shorncliffe state school seems better and is only 20mins on the train, but what is Shorncliffe like? Used the search tool and the results are poor (only 4 threads). doesn't seem to be many properties for rent either. Any views on Shorncliffe?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 11:32 pm

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane advice

Originally Posted by bingobob777 View Post
Hi, moving over to Brisbane with wife and 2 kids in January and looking for some advice from anyone in Brisbane.

I've done a lot of research on the schools and have got the list down to about 5 schools in an area with a train station and 5 in areas without, I will be working in Fortitude Valley so would prefer to get there by train or by another method of public transport that's just as quick. Would appreciate any answers to the following

1.Chapel Hill State School has excellent results, but Chapel Hill looks quite far out. What are the public transport links (bus I assume) like with CBD and what's an average journey time?

2. As above with Rainworth State school in Bardon, what are the public transport links like and average journey time from Bardon to CBD?

3. Part of me fancies living near the coast and I have researched Manly, however the schools in that area don't have as good results. Shorncliffe state school seems better and is only 20mins on the train, but what is Shorncliffe like? Used the search tool and the results are poor (only 4 threads). doesn't seem to be many properties for rent either. Any views on Shorncliffe?
Have you read the excellent advice given by Fish.01 in this thread?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=queensland

Loads of info on suburbs and transport etc...

Good luck!
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely established suburb. No direct train/bus service. Need to take bus to Toowong or Indooroopilly and change to train or another bus. Transport alone will be at least 40 minutes each way. Check your travel time on www.translink.com.au by putting in the addresses.

Great suburb near city with some very nice old Queenslanders (houses, may be people too). Slightly shorter commute than from Chapel Hill but again no direct bus/train service.

There is direct train service from Manly (or other bayside suburbs as far south as Cleveland) to the Valley. 30-60 minutes depending on when/where you get on the train. How old are your children? I would happily send my kids to any state primary between Manly and Cleveland (on the train line), apart from Wynnum West and Wynnum Central state schools.
What defines "good results" for primary schools? I would only worry about results if I was considering high school.

I don't know the Shorncliffe area but am sure someone else on the Redcliffe penisula can answer that for you.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 26th 2010, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Rainworth is an excellent choice. It has a very good reputation in the area and is in one of the nicest suburbs Brisbane has to offer IMO. I guess good NAPLAN results are a bonus (but maybe not that vital in primary) but, according to www.MySchool.edu.au, the teachers do have the benefit of drawing their children from the following demographic.

Index of Community Socio-Educational Advantage (ICSEA):

Bottom quarter = 0%
Middle quarters (low) = 0%
Middle quarters (high) = 7%
Top quarter = 93%

You can catch route 475 outside Rainworth school which drops you in fortitude valley 26 mins later according to the timetable.

Most of the other schools in the area have great reputations as well....Bardon, Milton, Ithaca Creek etc...

Is Wilston State School on your list? It is near a train and in a lovely area.

Ironside State Primary at St Lucia?

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 26th 2010 at 2:36 am.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:50 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

We really loved Wilston and visited the state school which has good results and great all-round opportunities for children. However we failed miserably in our search for a rental (something to consider if you are looking to rent in that area). We found nothing even remotely suitable under $700 a week and bear in mind that the school has a strict catchment and rarely has the spaces to allow children in from out of catchment.

We are in Manly now and our son goes to Manly state school. Although Wilston school had better results, we had to extend our range of locations so that we could secure a decent rental. In the areas that we liked, Manly state came up with the best results and we all loved the ethos and vibe of the school upon visiting. We have heard nothing but good things about the school since we arrived and we/our son have had no complaints so far. Good luck in your search
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by myrtle1 View Post
We really loved Wilston and visited the state school which has good results and great all-round opportunities for children. However we failed miserably in our search for a rental (something to consider if you are looking to rent in that area). We found nothing even remotely suitable under $700 a week and bear in mind that the school has a strict catchment and rarely has the spaces to allow children in from out of catchment.

We are in Manly now and our son goes to Manly state school. Although Wilston school had better results, we had to extend our range of locations so that we could secure a decent rental. In the areas that we liked, Manly state came up with the best results and we all loved the ethos and vibe of the school upon visiting. We have heard nothing but good things about the school since we arrived and we/our son have had no complaints so far. Good luck in your search
Yes, is expensive...but saying that probably cheaper than Bardon where they are looking. $700 is a lot....we are in a dearer area than Wilston and paying $520 but granted it is a small 3 bed house. We've finally bought a new house so looking forward to moving in a few weeks... Hope all is well with you.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
Yes, is expensive...but saying that probably cheaper than Bardon where they are looking. $700 is a lot....we are in a dearer area than Wilston and paying $520 but granted it is a small 3 bed house. We've finally bought a new house so looking forward to moving in a few weeks... Hope all is well with you.
Still rave over your posts about suburbs when we were looking - you helped us loads!! We still have the odd pang about Wilston - really loved the area and the school was fab - would've loved our son to go there. Chatting to people within the area though, they all said that there was a higher than average number of owned houses - leading them to comment and warn us that the rental houses were often rentals for a reason - ie. next to trains, businesses etc - we often found this to be the case . But we absolutely love where we are now - views of the bay - even though I may have to strain my neck a little!!!! - and a great family area with loads going on. All's good with us and we are settling well - many thanks for all your valuable early help!
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Still rave over your posts about suburbs when we were looking - you helped us loads!! We still have the odd pang about Wilston - really loved the area and the school was fab - would've loved our son to go there. Chatting to people within the area though, they all said that there was a higher than average number of owned houses - leading them to comment and warn us that the rental houses were often rentals for a reason - ie. next to trains, businesses etc - we often found this to be the case . But we absolutely love where we are now - views of the bay - even though I may have to strain my neck a little!!!! - and a great family area with loads going on. All's good with us and we are settling well - many thanks for all your valuable early help!
No worries. Scary thing giving advice as everyone is so different so just have to say what I like and hope it helps someone. Lots of lovely houses in Wilston so that probably keeps the rental price high as well. Bardon would be the same though I imagine. Always love hearing when a family like yours has found a place they like...must go a long way to helping you feel settled after such a big move. We have friends off another site who moved to Redcliffe and they are very happy. Now that you are on the bayside you can join the "seabreezes" club telling the rest of us how much cooler you are in summer
Old Sep 26th 2010, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
Now that you are on the bayside you can join the "seabreezes" club telling the rest of us how much cooler you are in summer
Ha - well .... if you can't beat 'em .......
Old Sep 26th 2010, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

We found nothing even remotely suitable under $700 a week and bear in mind that the school has a strict catchment and rarely has the spaces to allow children in from out of catchment.
This appears to be the case for suburbs with highly ranked state primary schools - high rent and strick catchment. In addition to the state schools already mentioned on this thread, there's also Norman Park State School (on direct train line to the Valley) and Robertson State School (short drive to city).

Robertson has programs for gifted children I've been told by a couple of friends. Norman Park is ranked top ten of all primary schools in Brisbane area.

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:34 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

We live in Chapel Hill but I drive or cycle generally. Bus is the only way from there without any driving, but its around 40 mins (peak) to the CBD then extra to Fortitide Valley Peak driving is about 30-35 mins. Western Freeway and Milton Rd are very busy and depending on where you are Moggill Road is a real slow go too. So be prepared. These are the only roads to/from the city so everyone uses them.

Off peak its about 20 mins by car or bus. Cycle is 30 mins and a good run most of the way on cycle paths (except for all the hills!)
Old Sep 26th 2010, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Drinky will become famous soon enough

Shorncliffe School has a very good name and the suburbs surrounding it are lovely. There's good fishing off Shorcliffe peir but the beach isn't very sandy. The train link from Shorncliffe is very good and will take you direcly into the city. You can obtain a 'Go card" which will make your public transport costs marginly cheaper, these can be obtained from local designated shops and the train station itself. Trains tend to run every 20mins into the city and the bus service is good. Properties are expensive in areas such as Sandgate (the next suburb along) but if you move a few K's inland then more reasonable prices can be found.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

1. Chapel Hill's approximately 10k from the CBD. Direct bus 444 or 443 from Moggill Road into Roma Street change to train. Alternatively drive to Indooroopilly, park in the shopping centre and walk to the train station, twenty minutes into Fortitude Valley. Very good primary and high schools in the Chapel Hill / Kenmore area.

2. Bardon's much more inner city, older housing, smaller plots . . . don't know much else.

3. Manley approx. 20 km from CBD. I work in Manley a couple of days a week and used to get the train from Roma Street. Manley - Fortitude Valley, 46 minute journey.

Have a look at http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/Pages/Default.aspx for train times etc.

Last edited by spartacus; Sep 27th 2010 at 12:51 am.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

This is all really good advice- my husband is too going to work in the valley so times are handy- which of these areas have brick homes?? drafty 'shacks' make me thing a greater numbers of creepy crawlies...

Also what is the website link for school catchment areas please? though as a depury head tables are not everything and the feel of the school etc is vital too.

How old are your kids BingoBob? mine are 5 and 3 so one will be starting year 1 again in January and the other who would have been one of the youngest here in his class will get an extra year off and be one of the eldest (birthday 2nd July) - not sure how that'll stand him on his return..... (I teache top end juniors not littlies - though I am sure I'll learn...)
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder View Post
This is all really good advice- my husband is too going to work in the valley so times are handy- which of these areas have brick homes?? drafty 'shacks' make me thing a greater numbers of creepy crawlies...

Also what is the website link for school catchment areas please? though as a depury head tables are not everything and the feel of the school etc is vital too.

How old are your kids BingoBob? mine are 5 and 3 so one will be starting year 1 again in January and the other who would have been one of the youngest here in his class will get an extra year off and be one of the eldest (birthday 2nd July) - not sure how that'll stand him on his return..... (I teache top end juniors not littlies - though I am sure I'll learn...)
Hi, my kids are 4 and 1. My 4 year old will be 5 next April, so will start prep year when we get there hopefully in January, she'll be one of the youngest in her class, whereas in Scotland she would start in August and be one of the oldest.

Maps for school catchment areas can be found here by the way.

http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/...ropolitan.html

Just in case anyone is interested I've attached the spreadsheet I've used to record all the figures from the NAPLAN results for Primary year 3.
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Brisbane School results.xls (19.0 KB, 181 views)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.