Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane, Adelaide or Melbourne?????

Brisbane, Adelaide or Melbourne?????

Old Jan 1st 2010, 4:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane, Adelaide or Melbourne?????

Originally Posted by trevfitz
Hi everyone as you can tell we are looking to move to australia in the next few years and are now wanting to research the best places for our family to move to. We are a young family with 2 babies who will both be 4 and 2 when it comes to the move, obviously the children are our world and it is of the upmost importance that they settle in the area so good schools are a must.
We currently live in the uk about 40 miles outside of london and would love to find somewhere in the suburbs as city living is not for us.
We know of all the big cities in oz and are really hoping with your help to find that beautiful australian dream

Thanks for taking the time to help

Fitzpatrick family
Three very different cities there. The first thing to look at is what kind of work you do. If you can't find work then it doesn't matter what city you live in - you'll have to either make a career change or move.

My personal choice would be Adelaide, however my husband was offered jobs in both Brisbane and Melbourne recently and we seriously considered moving interstate for a second time in 3 years (having moved from Adelaide to Perth 2.5 years ago for his job). Thankfully he was also offered work here in Perth, so we did not have to move after all.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

Originally Posted by trevfitz
Hi everyone as you can tell we are looking to move to australia in the next few years and are now wanting to research the best places for our family to move to. We are a young family with 2 babies who will both be 4 and 2 when it comes to the move, obviously the children are our world and it is of the upmost importance that they settle in the area so good schools are a must.
We currently live in the uk about 40 miles outside of london and would love to find somewhere in the suburbs as city living is not for us.
We know of all the big cities in oz and are really hoping with your help to find that beautiful australian dream

Thanks for taking the time to help

Fitzpatrick family
Melbourne every time for me - its a city that has everything (well, maybe the weather could be a bit better).
Old Jan 1st 2010, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Be very wary with Aus Cities at this distance out. Aus cities tend to have a paradoxical social makeup compared to UK Cities. Where you are more likely to find the lower social economic groupings, and the problems that go with it in the outer suburbs than the inner suburbs.

Thats not a 100 pct rule... but far more so than the UK.

Unless you are on acreage, or in an established old town, I'd agree. I'd avoid the SE suburbs where we live like the plague unless you can buy into the top 20pc+ of area/housing stock. Infact, decision and choice, not money can be a driver.

Some people will buy anything to get within 10k, even 15k of the city.

60k (40miles) outside Melbourne to the E gets you into the edge of the Gippsland farming country and some very 'isolated' country living which is all very well if you are a farmer. It ain't Oxford.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 1st 2010 at 4:41 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Sirbla is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't look past Adelaide. Great, often empty beaches all along the coast. A great lifestyle with amazing food and wine and warm summers and mild winters. Great schools and unis, real estate is very cheap at the moment but an impending mining boom could mean prices will skyrocket. A great country feel and close to the eastern states if you want to meet some bogans. A great city with an exiting city but relaxed suburbs. Melbourne is nice enough but is much more expensive and doesnt have the atmosphere that Adelaide seems to have. Brisbane is growing fast and again is more expensive than ADL, great beaches but mostly a good hours drive and even further if you want one to be as deserted as you would find down in SA. Unfortunately has lost a bit of its charm as it has grown but still a nice place to be in. I would recommend Adelaide but only if you do not mind slightly warmer temps than the other two and a less big city feeling.

Good luck with your investigating.
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

That did it...Atmosphere v Melbourne... deserves this response 'tis a football thing OP

Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:29 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also agree with the 'go where the work is' thing. I have lived in Adelaide for 2 years and Gold Coast (1 hour out from Brisbane) for 3 years.

Adelaides downsides are also it's charms.......It is very old fashioned, insular and from the outside there appears to be nothing much to do. The main draw back (and our main reason for moving Interstate) we found was job availability across the spectrum of engineering for my Husband now and worried for the kids employment later. He had a good job, but was stuck, unable to 'shop around' for better hours or pay.

Brisbane is booming, infastructure is going in everywhere....anything feels possible if you are willing to put in the hard graft. It feels alot more impersonal here and the people are less innocent, friendly and dare I say intelligent and more snobbish (IMO) But it feels much more like a complete place and I don't feel trapped here geographically...there's stuff to do and places to go within a reasonable drive North and South. Here you can have any lifestyle......City smart, Arty Hippy self sufficiency, new suburban blandness, beach shack and any degree in between.

As for Climate Brisbane has less extremes and once I'd acclimatized I find it more managable here than in Adelaide. It is greener here and the whole water availability thing is less scary.

State School Catchment areas ('Zones' here) are quite important to look at when moving to an area....especially where High Schools are concerned.

Best Wishes for you move,
Jan