Brisbane

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice
Default Brisbane

Hi all,
Have arrived in Brisbane yesterday -on holliers for a week. First impressions were quiet good. Doesn't seem to be anywhere near as scenic as Perth though - is a lot grubbier. The colour of the river is brown - manky. Having said that the weather is excellent and the city itself seems to be lively. I was wondering what are the not to miss things will being here. So far I have done the city tour, walk a lot of the city centre and have been to the Kuala reserve. All ideas are welcome. Are the gold coast - surfers paradise, Australia zoo worth seeing - thank for your help.

Xabi
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:42 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane

Originally Posted by xabialonso
Hi all,
Have arrived in Brisbane yesterday -on holliers for a week. First impressions were quiet good. Doesn't seem to be anywhere near as scenic as Perth though - is a lot grubbier. The colour of the river is brown - manky. Having said that the weather is excellent and the city itself seems to be lively. I was wondering what are the not to miss things will being here. So far I have done the city tour, walk a lot of the city centre and have been to the Kuala reserve. All ideas are welcome. Are the gold coast - surfers paradise, Australia zoo worth seeing - thank for your help.

Xabi
Yes, they are well worth seeing if you can fit them all in. For example, you need at the very minimum one day to see Australia Zoo, and that's moving along pretty smartly. The Gold and Sunshine Coasts could take up to a week to sample all the highlights.
So seeing you have got less than a week.........
Is the Swan River a deep blue then? As for the colour of the Brisbane River, seeing there has been alot of rain near the headwaters recently, washing alot of sediment down.......
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

Xabi
Sorry but did you say you were in Brisbane??? I live right in the cbd and walk along the river daily or jump on the cats as and when and I think it is fab here. The city is very clean and is cleaned up every night and interestingly so is the water. The only negative are the numbers of people selling the big issue and all the charity workers trying to get at you credit cards. Perth is beautiful as is Western Australia but there is way more to do here in Queensland and an amazing array of places to go within an hour of the city. I sincerly hope that you don't freak the future Brisbane bound people out with terms like brown and manky and grubbier.

Regards

Sue
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:08 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Xabi
Gold Coast is great to visit. There are some great things to do.... you have the theme parks- MovieWorld, DreamWorld, Wet&Wild, SeaWorld - and the Wildlife park at Currumbin is excellent. Shopping is great too.

Claire
x
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The colour of the river is brown - manky.
Xabi
All rivers are brown after heavy rain....that is what rivers do...they carry floodwater.

Try looking at the Swan river in Perth after a storm

G
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:14 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I have been to both Perth and Brisbane and certainly didn't find Brisbane grubbier - both clean I thought! For us there just seemed so much more to do in Brisbane and surrounds and as we are currently so close to London I don't think I could cope with the geographical isolation of Perth. We had a great time at Australia Zoo and the Sunshine Coast was great. You get a great view of Brisbane from Mt Cootha if you haven't got time to get far from Brisbane.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
I have been to both Perth and Brisbane and certainly didn't find Brisbane grubbier - both clean I thought! For us there just seemed so much more to do in Brisbane and surrounds and as we are currently so close to London I don't think I could cope with the geographical isolation of Perth. We had a great time at Australia Zoo and the Sunshine Coast was great. You get a great view of Brisbane from Mt Cootha if you haven't got time to get far from Brisbane.
I agree, Mount Cootha offers spectacular views across the city and coast, and if you can combine this with an afternoon in the Botanic Gardens at its foot, it makes a great location for viewing the Queensland sunset- this will convice even the hardest sceptic Brissie is a beautiful city!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

kizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud ofkizbut1 has much to be proud of

Hi Sue

I have to confess I am Brisbane bound and yes I am a little concerned by grubby, brown etc . I dont expect everything to be pink through these rose tinted goggles our family is wearing, but it does rattle you a little when you hear it...

Jo

Originally Posted by suebrennan
Sorry but did you say you were in Brisbane??? I live right in the cbd and walk along the river daily or jump on the cats as and when and I think it is fab here. The city is very clean and is cleaned up every night and interestingly so is the water. The only negative are the numbers of people selling the big issue and all the charity workers trying to get at you credit cards. Perth is beautiful as is Western Australia but there is way more to do here in Queensland and an amazing array of places to go within an hour of the city. I sincerly hope that you don't freak the future Brisbane bound people out with terms like brown and manky and grubbier.

Regards

Sue
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

brisbane is NOT dirty or grubby. they're always out cleaning and sweeping the streets after dark, and after the clubs close the streets are cleared of litter - which is more than could be said for the likes of edinburgh, glasgow, manchester, london etc at times!!!

the river is browner with more sediment after the rain, but other than that it's no different to any other river that flows through a city!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Xabi
We went there recently and don't know where you looked but it certainly wasn't grubby at all we didn't see any rubbish and found it clean and spotless - a beautiful city And as for the river, as others have said about the rain etc. we went on a sunny day and it wasn't brown!!!! nor manky!!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kizbut1
Hi Sue

I have to confess I am Brisbane bound and yes I am a little concerned by grubby, brown etc . I dont expect everything to be pink through these rose tinted goggles our family is wearing, but it does rattle you a little when you hear it...

Jo
Hi Jo

Trust me I think the description was inaccurate although everyone is entitled to their opinion. It really is a lovely city. PM me when you arrived and I will take you for a long walk and show you what I mean.

Sue

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 12:37 am
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

I agree OP's words are strong. Brisbane is lovely and we certainly do not find it grubby. Huzzy works all round Brisbane city and used to work all round London, says that the two do not even compare.

I had a great night in Fortitude Valley the other weekend (New Farm area) and after growing up in Camden Town London, I would say it compares favourably. The atmosphere was electric with live street bands and lots of different age groups, styles of people. It was great.

The Botanical Gardens are beautiful and the old colonial architecture fantastic. I think OP needs to slow down and have a good look.

But our opinions are truly our own.

Vics x

Last edited by Jimmy Cliff; Oct 3rd 2006 at 12:52 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:57 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

Xabi

No, you’re quite right with your interpretation of Brisbane River and the city.

It is dirty.

Overall, Brisbane is a retirement village compared to Sydney or Melbourne, but with crime.

If you want natural beauty come to Sydney. The Brisbane River doesn’t even compare to our Harbour.

You're moving from the other side of the world - why settle for 2nd best.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:05 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Pic taken from my balcony yesterday.

Look at the colour of the Harbour. You can keep your Brisbane, Swan and Yarra Rivers.
Attached Thumbnails Brisbane-picture-071.jpg  
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:07 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MD09
Pic taken from my balcony yesterday.

Look at the colour of the Harbour. You can keep your Brisbane, Swan and Yarra Rivers.
haven't you given us that photo before? or are the boats all at anchor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.