Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane 2nd Most Expensive????

Brisbane 2nd Most Expensive????

Old Aug 30th 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Brisbane 2nd Most Expensive????

Hell

I have read with interest that Brisbane is now the second most expensive? Is this in general or just in terms of house prices, is the cost of living in comparison to average earnings more or less in brisbane than melbourne

Thanks

Laura
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:01 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane 2nd Most Expensive????

all are my opinions.

talking about everything but housing, generally, brisbane is slightly cheaper in the long run, except for eating out. more choice in melbourne means lower prices - well, that was my impression over new year last year. everything else is similar in price, except fuel is definately cheaper in brisbane.

housing is another matter. apparently the 'average' house and land package in melbourne is cheaper than the 'average' house and land package in brisbane. but you have to realise that melbourne is a big sprawling city, so they have places classed as melbourne that are a whole heap further outside the city, it is not really comparing like-for-like. but, melbourne has a higher median house price than brisbane. so make of the housing market what you like!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:03 pm
BLC

Originally Posted by brisnick
all are my opinions.

talking about everything but housing, generally, brisbane is slightly cheaper in the long run, except for eating out. more choice in melbourne means lower prices - well, that was my impression over new year last year. everything else is similar in price, except fuel is definately cheaper in brisbane.

housing is another matter. apparently the 'average' house and land package in melbourne is cheaper than the 'average' house and land package in brisbane. but you have to realise that melbourne is a big sprawling city, so they have places classed as melbourne that are a whole heap further outside the city, it is not really comparing like-for-like. but, melbourne has a higher median house price than brisbane. so make of the housing market what you like!
Thanks for that feedback, we have been swinging between Melly & Brissie, Brissie is coming first (at the mo), the more experiences I can hear, the more informed I will become.

Cheers
B

Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:55 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
all are my opinions.

Also the 'average' plot in Brissie is probably bigger than an everage plot in Melbourne so it's probably a bit swings and roundabouts.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

thanks for the replies, I thought as much but thought I would seek out informed opinions. Either way we wont be able to buy for a while when we get out there.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:08 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wmoore
Also the 'average' plot in Brissie is probably bigger than an everage plot in Melbourne so it's probably a bit swings and roundabouts.
Talkikng about block sizes, we have noticed how small they are in Perth Don't get it really, it is a vast country can't we have a decent size garden.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Talkikng about block sizes, we have noticed how small they are in Perth Don't get it really, it is a vast country can't we have a decent size garden.
They're getting smaller and smaller - the real estate agents have woken up to the fact that they can make loads more money selling a 400 SQM block instead of a 750 or quarter acre for the same price. These tiny blocks are no good if you want a garden or a pool.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:26 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hell

I have read with interest that Brisbane is now the second most expensive? Is this in general or just in terms of house prices, is the cost of living in comparison to average earnings more or less in brisbane than melbourne

Thanks

Laura
Brisbane is vast and expanding at an alarming rate.

I know a lot of ppl who migrated from Melly and Syd and Adelaide to Brizzy because of the weather.

Debs mum has just gone back to the uk, and did a fly around oz whilst she was here " on her broomstick"

She loved Cairns, was disappointed with Ayers Rock, and wasnt impressed with Adelaide, albeit she said shopping there was great, mind she only spent 4 days there.

Our friend just down the rd, came from Melbun 4 yrs ago, shes a Melbunna

She loves it here but........... she has said many times, if she had the money she would move back tomorrow.

Fi , Debs mate ( my missus ) is a QLD'er but herfamily all live in Tazzy, she LOVES it here, living in Helesvale she gets to see a lot of life lol

She said Tazzy is like a busy WAKE its really nice and you knew ya shoulda gone, but afterwards wished you hadnt bothered

I have never been to Tazzy but its on most qld'ers wish lists that i hav spoken with.

Just a CRAPPY fact i think i read on here :

Perth is the REMOTEST major city in the world !!!!! and according to ppl we know from Perth BOY DONT YA FEEL IT, again never been lol so cant add my fourpenneth