Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brining in Household goods

Brining in Household goods

Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice
Default Brining in Household goods

Could someone advice me on following.

Is there a time limitation in Bringing down your household goods to Oz after visa validation.

Could we bring in the goods in many consignments.

When preparing the post shipment documents, are we expected to be 100% accurate of the quantity of all goods on board.

Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brining in Household goods

You can move your stuff as & when you like.
Accuracy with your documentation would be good,as you are less likely to have problems with the customs people who can be very thorough if they think you are trying to deceive them.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
You can move your stuff as & when you like.
Accuracy with your documentation would be good,as you are less likely to have problems with the customs people who can be very thorough if they think you are trying to deceive them.

Does it mean even after 6 or seven years I could bring in furniture and electrical appliance duty free.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 1:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shafanm
Does it mean even after 6 or seven years I could bring in furniture and electrical appliance duty free.
Why would you live without your belongings for six or seven years?
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You don't pay duty unless you are bringing in new stuff.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 6:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Even then you won't unless you're bringing in multiples of new stuff. A new TV or vacuum cleaner will be ignored. 20 won't.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Why would you live without your belongings for six or seven years?
We have some expensive antique furniture over 150 years old. plane to get them down only after we have our own house, which I belive would take about 5 to 6 years.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We have some expensive antique furniture over 150 years old. plane to get them down only after we have our own house, which I belive would take about 5 to 6 years.
Just to be on the safe side, I would take dated photos of your furniture in your current home, so that should there be any issues in the future, you can evidence that you owned the stuff way back when!
Or you could send an e-mail to customs & ask their advice!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I don't understand why you wouldn't want them with you wherever you were living, I'd want my stuff around me whether I owned the house or not. I imagine you'd have to prove you've owned them the whole time and are not importing 'new to you' stuff but you'd have to check with AQIS because I really have no idea about the length of time.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

I have some unpacked electrical appliances which we got has gift over 2 years ago, will this be liable to duty or should I remove the packing and ship.

sorry for being a pedantic,
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have some unpacked electrical appliances which we got has gift over 2 years ago, will this be liable to duty or should I remove the packing and ship.

Personally, I would remove the packaging.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

It's up to you. Sally would unpack, I wouldn't, I'd leave the original packaging. I did with our microwave and vacuum cleaner as I felt the packaging would be best protection and had no issues at all, not sure I even declared them as new.

However we might have been really lucky, no idea.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's up to you. Sally would unpack, I wouldn't, I'd leave the original packaging. I did with our microwave and vacuum cleaner as I felt the packaging would be best protection and had no issues at all, not sure I even declared them as new.

However we might have been really lucky, no idea.
How about brand new dishwasher and washing machine? We never opened them from the packaging as the place where we are now have integrated machines. We were gonna try and sell them before we leave but having seen the price of appliances (particularly washing machines) in Oz we decided to take them. Should we take off the packaging and make them look used? Or would customs not care about them. Are they only interested in multiple quantities of items as you mentioned.
If we do get duty on them what could we expect?
Cheers
EDIT: We don't have original receipt as they were a gift.

Last edited by soulrebel; Apr 21st 2010 at 7:10 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

We are going to buy our son a new bed here and leave it in the packaging. Also a microwave, washing manhine, bedding etc. We also have the boxing/packaging for all our household stuff that when we come to pack we were going to put it all back in the original boxes, Should wwe not do any of the above?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by soulrebel
How about brand new dishwasher and washing machine? We never opened them from the packaging as the place where we are now have integrated machines. We were gonna try and sell them before we leave but having seen the price of appliances (particularly washing machines) in Oz we decided to take them. Should we take off the packaging and make them look used? Or would customs not care about them. Are they only interested in multiple quantities of items as you mentioned.
If we do get duty on them what could we expect?
Cheers
EDIT: We don't have original receipt as they were a gift.
I'd leave them in original packaging as well. They've been packed better than the removal people would do and I honestly don't think AQIS will be interested, they understand that people buy stuff or are given stuff as leaving presents for example and as long as you don't have multiples of the same item they will realise it's a personal use thing. I don't know of anyone who's been charged for bringing the odd brand new thing into the country. If there has then I might not have left our stuff in the original packaging If there is anyone, I love to hear about it, just so everyone knows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.