British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bringing Instant Noodles (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bringing-instant-noodles-475451/)

discobay Aug 20th 2007 3:48 pm

Bringing Instant Noodles

This may sound like a sad request but I am anticipating some busy days ahead house hunting and may not be able to shop and cook as healthy as I would like so would anyone be able to tell me whether it is allowed to bring in instant noodles (the type in plastic packets which you add to boiling water with the enclosed satchets of sesame oil and soup powder)?

Amandabee Aug 20th 2007 5:48 pm

Re: Bringing Instant Noodles

yes you can

petereb Aug 20th 2007 6:07 pm

I would say no.

I thought they were VERY strict on bringing in ANY food. Surely better be safe than sorry, you wouldn't want a fine to be your first experience of Australia.

asher Aug 20th 2007 6:08 pm

I am not in Oz so don't know but surely they sell stuff like that there:confused:

steve`o Aug 20th 2007 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by asher (Post 5212737)
I am not in Oz so don't know but surely they sell stuff like that there:confused:

yes of course they do ;)
and we have running water and in most areas inside dunnies :rofl:

Amandabee Aug 20th 2007 6:19 pm

you can bring in any food as long as it has been processed. for example pot noodles, chocolate, lollies, tins of food.

It is unprocessed items, fruits, nuts, meat etc that you can't. Just tick the box on your immigration form that you have food items, they will check for you, and take away what you can't bring in.

steve`o Aug 20th 2007 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Amandabee (Post 5212810)
you can bring in any food as long as it has been processed. for example pot noodles, chocolate, lollies, tins of food.

It is unprocessed items, fruits, nuts, meat etc that you can't. Just tick the box on your immigration form that you have food items, they will check for you, and take away what you can't bring in.

and if you declare something you get through customs quicker as its always the shortest queue ;)

so graba packet of mcvities and get in the short queue :rofl:
o and i like the choccy ones :rofl:

petereb Aug 20th 2007 7:26 pm

I stand corrected !!!

eddie007 Aug 20th 2007 7:47 pm

surely super noodles are banned on health grounds? :rofl:

discobay Aug 20th 2007 11:30 pm

So in summary I may get picked up by the health police but otherwise customs will let me through. Thanks for the helpful advice.

biggy Aug 20th 2007 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by discobay (Post 5213999)
So in summary I may get picked up by the health police but otherwise customs will let me through. Thanks for the helpful advice.

you can buy them here and personally I think they are better...especially the spicey ones in Coles $2.20 for 5 packets....bargain lol

biggy Aug 20th 2007 11:41 pm

1 Attachment(s)
here ye go

discobay Aug 20th 2007 11:43 pm

By spicy ones do you mean the Korean-branded ones? In general, instant noodles are cheaper in HK.

Stella340 Aug 20th 2007 11:59 pm

You can buy them in any hostel from the vending machines! :confused:

We saw lots of young travellers slouching around in sleeping bags and unwashed hair eating noodles for breakfast, dinner and tea? Surely that's not healthy?

Pomster Aug 21st 2007 12:10 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 5212847)
and if you declare something you get through customs quicker as its always the shortest queue ;)

....unless you are on a flight from Malaysia or Hong Kong, then the 'declare' queue is huge, with people declaring bat's ears and pig nipples! (I flew MAS 2 weeks ago and it took an hour to get through AQIS)

And noodles are really cheap in the numerous Asian grocers around the place. My (Asian) hubby eats them by the bucketload and will only pay 28cents per packet!