Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing car from US to Oz

Bringing car from US to Oz

Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all
Default Bringing car from US to Oz

I know there are several threads on the subect of taking a vehicle from the UK to Oz but I'm in Florida and I can't find out any info, does anyone know any information.

Normally I would not bother but I have a Porsche, the same vehicle in in Oz is almost three times the price , therfore out of reach so if it would be a reaonsable price I might consider, the only thing I see as a problem would be the left hand drive.

Regards
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:59 pm
Diz
one step closer!

Diz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really niceDiz is just really nice
Smile shipping left hand drive hummer h2

We are hoping to move to Perth next year (vetassess practical on 8th April) on 176 state sponsored visa. OH has a Hummer H2 2005 left hand drive which we have owned for about a year. The price in UK has gone through the floor recently and we stand to lose 10k off the price we paid. We are thinking of taking it with us but dont know how hard it will be. Should we hire a bigger container to pack it with our stuff or ship it on its own? any help would be great cheers Diz x
Old Mar 28th 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

huuuugo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bringing car from US to Oz

I believe you can import it as a private import. It will need to be made ADR complient thru DOTARS RAWS, I believe. ($2500 to $3000). If the car is older then 1st jan 1989, you can import it with no restricions, it would merely need a engineer certificate (approx. $400) and road-worthy-check. (approx. $60)

If it's within 30 year of age, it would need to be converted to RHD, unless you want to register it in Western Australia or the Northern Territory, where LHD vehicles are allowed.

when importing you would need to pay the shipping, import duty (5%), GST (10%) of value of the car AND shipping cost!! Also, wharfage, quarantine fees, inland transport, blah blah blah.. (not much all up, approx $1000, just some small cost for different fees and services) GST is of course the major cost, depending on the value of the vehicle.

The LHD to RHD conversion would be costly too, if needed to be done $15.000 or so, I'd guess.

Hope this helps
HUGO
Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: shipping left hand drive hummer h2

Originally Posted by Diz
We are hoping to move to Perth next year (vetassess practical on 8th April) on 176 state sponsored visa. OH has a Hummer H2 2005 left hand drive which we have owned for about a year. The price in UK has gone through the floor recently and we stand to lose 10k off the price we paid. We are thinking of taking it with us but dont know how hard it will be. Should we hire a bigger container to pack it with our stuff or ship it on its own? any help would be great cheers Diz x
It would cost you way more than that to get it in here and then converted. I'd forget it to be honest...
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:06 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I don,t think you need to convert them anymore, just have a warning sign on the rear [caution ,left hand drive}. because of the width it might be trouble getting in container {8,6 ft] wide.
Would have to go "roll on roll off".......can be expensive ,weigh up your options.......mm
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:09 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I don,t think you need to convert them anymore, just have a warning sign on the rear [caution ,left hand drive}. because of the width it might be trouble getting in container {8,6 ft] wide.
Would have to go "roll on roll off".......can be expensive ,weigh up your options.......mm
You could park it on the opposite side of the earth, it would get here eventually.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:20 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
You could park it on the opposite side of the earth, it would get here eventually.
? How the earth is flat
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:37 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huuuugo

If it's within 30 year of age, it would need to be converted to RHD, unless you want to register it in Western Australia or the Northern Territory, where LHD vehicles are allowed.
So the LHD Yank tanks that I see driving around Brisbane are a figment of my imagination.

BTW, you forgot the LUXURY CAR TAX for a Porsche.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Well, like I said, IF it's within 30 years of age, it MUST be converted to RHD (unless in WA or NT)

The Yank Tanks you see might be over 30 years of age if they are LHD.

No luxury car tax on a second hand car.

HUGO
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:19 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I am not an expert, but I was flicking through some car mag the other day and there were a whole bunch of LHD new (last decade) F150s and Hummers being advertised. I don't think they were all in NT or WA. Maybe you can "launder" registration through those states?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:25 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

<voms into bucket - what a horrible car the Hummer is>

PS most famous Hummer owner in Australia is the choreographer judge of So You Think You Can Dance...
Old Mar 29th 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

There are, but if they are Hummers H3's, they are Aussie dealer imported RHD versions, while most H2's and H1's are either converted to RHD or currently registered in WA or NT. Or they are being imported and sold unregistered, needing conversion to comply..

F150's etc. (all vehicles within 30 years of age MUST be converted to RHD) don't have excemption. You'd find that all of these vehicles are in fact RHD or registered in WA or NT.

HUGO
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Two threads merged
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:31 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 -&amp;gt;

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

leave the car at home buy a new one here the car industry needs the cash
Old Mar 29th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mr mover
You'd find that a warning sign is only allowable for LHD vehicles that are in Australia temporarely, like the ones belonging to holiday makers that bring their own for upto 12 months (yes, lots of German people for instance, bring their own campervans or off-road motorhome over for the duration of their holiday)

A Hummer H2 would fit easy inside a shipping container, width wise. They are 81.2 inche (206) cm wide, a shipping container is about a foot and a half wider!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.