Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bring in CASH to OZ

Bring in CASH to OZ

Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

barbiedoll is on a distinguished road
Default Bring in CASH to OZ

guys we are going to perth next week to validate our visa.How much cash can we bring in to OZ without having to declare it?I know it's summer now,is it very hot?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bring in CASH to OZ

Originally Posted by barbiedoll
guys we are going to perth next week to validate our visa.How much cash can we bring in to OZ without having to declare it?I know it's summer now,is it very hot?
Think it is $10,000 max....No not hot considering time of year but very pleasant.(around 26 c)
But by next week who knows could well be up in the 30s.
Enjoy Perth and a good time of year to be here.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

sue32 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there, if i remember right its ten thousand au dollars actual cash, plus you may have credit cards etc, daughter in perth saying weather a bit funny this year, rained all last week, but then getting days at 30 odd degrees, so very mixed at mo, have a great time
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

From watching boarder security, you can bring more that $10k in as long as you declare it. They did once show someone who was setting themselves up here and had more money and they said that was fine as they had declared it and they knew it was for setting themselves up not drugs money etc.
If you don't decare it though they can keep the whole lot (even the $10k).
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Can you bring me some too ???
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Interesting.....what are the implications of "declaring it". Do you have to prove source of revenue (you would have to here) ?
Up to how much can you simply declare?

Nix
Old Nov 12th 2008, 7:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
Interesting.....what are the implications of "declaring it". Do you have to prove source of revenue (you would have to here) ?
Up to how much can you simply declare?

Nix
There's no limit, they will just make a note of what you bring - if you do it several times then flags might start being raised about the source of cash and why you are bringing so much in cash, rather than using banks etc.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Travellers cheques are safer than cash.

Currency
There is no limit to the amount of currency you can bring in or out of Australia.
However, you must declare amounts of A$10,000 or more in Australian currency or foreign equivalent.
If asked by Customs you must also fill in a Bearer Negotiable Instruments (BNI) form if you're carrying promissory notes, travellers cheques, personal cheques, money orders or postal orders.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4443

Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

barbiedoll is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your responses guys.cant wait to go
Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

n_tunbridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, rather than start another new thread, I have a question which follows on very naturally from this one, WHICH IS: what is the most economical way of moving funds from the UK to Oz? I have an Oz passport and the sum will be under AUS$10,000. Bank transfers between my UK bank and the accounts of family members resident in Oz have incurred charges, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible, thanks, Nat
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by n_tunbridge
Hey, rather than start another new thread, I have a question which follows on very naturally from this one, WHICH IS: what is the most economical way of moving funds from the UK to Oz? I have an Oz passport and the sum will be under AUS$10,000. Bank transfers between my UK bank and the accounts of family members resident in Oz have incurred charges, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible, thanks, Nat
Have a look at www.tranzfers.com
Old Nov 13th 2008, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Polyanna! If I may, a few further questions...? Have you or anyone you know used this company? Also, could I not just put all my funds in a traveller's cheque and pay it into a bank account at the other end? Thanking you again, Nat
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:24 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

We're planning on using HiFX to move money from the UK to Oz. You get a much better rate of exchange and there are no fees involved:

http://www.hifx.co.uk/personal/emigration/overview.aspx

- CDM
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response CDM. Can I just confirm, do you know people who have actually used this service successfully?
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:13 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by n_tunbridge
Thanks for the response CDM. Can I just confirm, do you know people who have actually used this service successfully?
Not personally, no, but I was pointed in their direction from other postsers here that claim to have had very good experiences with them.

When I contacted HiFX myself and spoke at length with them, I was very impressed by not only what they had to say but the way in which it was said. They weren't pushy at all. Indeed, the guy I spoke with positively urged me to shop around with their competitors to make sure I was getting the best rate possible.

As an added bonus, they referred me to Westpac for setting up my Oz bank account. As a referral from HiFX, Westpac waved the monthly maintenance fee on my account and removed the minimum deposit requirement.

- CDM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.