Bricklaying

Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

jeffseye is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Bricklaying

Hi all

I`m thinking of the big move just a few questions to rack peoples brains
i am a bricklayer 32 been in the job for 15 year time served apprentice
can any bricklayers out in australia now tell me what areas of australia should i be looking for and if i got there how quick could i pick up work once i got a visa .
Is it easy to rent straight away if you have no references to give.

I have a daughter aged 7 do you pay for her to go to school how easy is it to enrol a child into school there.

Thank you i will think of a few more questions later

At the moment my head is going to explode how do people start to make the move

haha

bye
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Bricklaying

Another question i forgot to ask if a brickie could answer for me i have worked in the uk as a subby (CIS) and Cards in (employed) what is the difference between the wages in australia between the two because if i get a visa i would not have the tools to start by myself so i would have to work for a builder already there

thanks again
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:15 pm
formerly Poppy

Poppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to all

Hi

I'm not a bricklayer, but my OH is. We live south of Sydney and he works in Sydney and the money is not good, works out about 300 pounds a week, but have heard that the money is much better in Perth as there is a building boom going on there, so that would be your best bet.

Even if you work for somebody else, you still need your own tools. Trowel, brick hammer, level etc! You can't be a subbie anyway unless you get a licence which you will need references etc and it can take a while. THere are quite a few threads about bricklaying on here, so put the word in at the top under search and they will come up.

They have both private and state schools here, but you still have to pay for books for the state schools. The primary state schools here are called Public Schools and I think the one my sons go to is brilliant, better system than UK, so hopefully that is a reflection of the schools here in general, but I don't know!

Don't know if I have answered all your questions, but if I can help anymore, I will try.

All the best! I lived in North Shields and Gosforth as a kid, where are you from.

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks poppy

i live in wallsend
Old Feb 26th 2007, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Do all the brickies that go out to australia get there own transport straight away for there job or do some jobs provide vans
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:12 pm
Aussie Wannabes

tonynhayley is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm applying as a graphic pre-press tradesperson but money isnt that great and Ive also done lots of bricklaying so I'm looking to do that as a backup. I've researched the bricklaying and to be honest I've hardly found any bricklaying jobs in Perth, the most I've seen is in Victoria. Plus looking at the real estate websites there are so many new builds in Victoria compared to Perth which may give an idea of the potential bricklaying work, just search realestate.com.au . Everyone keeps going on about the bricklaying boom in Perth but so far I havent found anything to support that. Can anyone help with information about bricklaying in Perth?

Thanks,

Tony, Hayley & Kids.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:42 pm
Aussie Wannabes

tonynhayley is an unknown quantity at this point

See thats the problem for us brits, all we have access to is the web and not the local papers. Are there any decent website resources for bricklayer vacancies?

Thanks,

Tony, Hayley & Kids.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:30 pm
formerly Poppy

Poppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to all

Hi

You should do search at the top for bricklaying because aston man did a months reccie in Perth and he's a bricklayer and he couldn't believe how many jobs there were. There is a building boom there, lots of people on here will tell you.

Good luck anyway.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Hi

Hubbie is a brickie and we are going to Perth. OH has spoken to brickies out there and as the other poster says Aston Man has just come back and Ohippychick on here whom I pm alot has said that as soon as we get off the plane OH will walk into a job. There is also a thread on here somewhere with somone who got an email from their agent with an email address and phone no. of a company looking for brickies.

Hope this puts your mind to rest.

Nikki
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonynhayley
I'm applying as a graphic pre-press tradesperson but money isnt that great and Ive also done lots of bricklaying so I'm looking to do that as a backup. I've researched the bricklaying and to be honest I've hardly found any bricklaying jobs in Perth, the most I've seen is in Victoria. Plus looking at the real estate websites there are so many new builds in Victoria compared to Perth which may give an idea of the potential bricklaying work, just search realestate.com.au . Everyone keeps going on about the bricklaying boom in Perth but so far I havent found anything to support that. Can anyone help with information about bricklaying in Perth?

Thanks,

Tony, Hayley & Kids.
Hi

If you go onto www.thewest.com.au it gives you the jobs round Australia. I looked tonight and there were 7 jobs in the Perth Peel region and 16 for the Perth metro region (I think a couple were for labourers) but I couldn't find any for the Victoria region.

Hope this helps

Nikki
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic938
Hi

Hubbie is a brickie and we are going to Perth. OH has spoken to brickies out there and as the other poster says Aston Man has just come back and Ohippychick on here whom I pm alot has said that as soon as we get off the plane OH will walk into a job. There is also a thread on here somewhere with somone who got an email from their agent with an email address and phone no. of a company looking for brickies.

Hope this puts your mind to rest.

Nikki
We have seen brickies move from Victoria to Perth because of the money situation. Jobs here are plentiful and money pretty good. You will need basic tools and transport working on day rate (approx $270- $310) and then a full set of tools incl mixer etc when you get out on your own (approx $2500 a week prior to tax/GST)
Houses here are brick, other states use timber framed, hence why there's more work
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

YAFOLEY will become famous soon enoughYAFOLEY will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Bricklaying

We live in Perth (NS) and my OH is a brickie. We are here since september last year and he was lucky to land a job in the city with one of the big firms. It was a union job. Up until last week he was earning 1000 dollars a week... (less than back home but we knew the wages was lower). He had all the benefits of working for a union job but.... the guys on the site were W***** and he was "adult bullied" if I may call it that. He has been a brickie for the past 15 years and worked for 1 of the big companies back home. On this site he got that much crap every day off these two particular guys that he walked off the job last week and nearly contemplated returning to Ireland. Now my OH is 34 and is a great guy loves spending time with his kids (3 under 6) and having a beer at w/end with his mates like all normal dads! But the stress of what happened on this site got the better of him and has knocked all his confidence out of him being a brickie! He is currently doing HR lessons and has applied for a bus drivers job... but deepdown I know this is not what he wants to do. He wants to do his bricklaying. On this site the brickies worked for the labourers!!!! Now can anyone shed some light on this? I won't go into the details of what happened but it was pathetic and the guys that make the brickies lives hell on this site were ozzies!
Its hard for OH aswell cause most of the jobs are for bricklaying teams and he doesn't know any other brickies except the lads that he worked with on the site.
So at the moment he is currently unemployed, we are trying to sort out this mess but I have to say its being a pretty rough ride for us the last two months.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:37 am
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ohippy
We have seen brickies move from Victoria to Perth because of the money situation. Jobs here are plentiful and money pretty good. You will need basic tools and transport working on day rate (approx $270- $310) and then a full set of tools incl mixer etc when you get out on your own (approx $2500 a week prior to tax/GST)
Houses here are brick, other states use timber framed, hence why there's more work

That's us!!!
No work in Victoria and what is there is crap money!!
Perth's the place to be
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YAFOLEY
We live in Perth (NS) and my OH is a brickie. We are here since september last year and he was lucky to land a job in the city with one of the big firms. It was a union job. Up until last week he was earning 1000 dollars a week... (less than back home but we knew the wages was lower). He had all the benefits of working for a union job but.... the guys on the site were W***** and he was "adult bullied" if I may call it that. He has been a brickie for the past 15 years and worked for 1 of the big companies back home. On this site he got that much crap every day off these two particular guys that he walked off the job last week and nearly contemplated returning to Ireland. Now my OH is 34 and is a great guy loves spending time with his kids (3 under 6) and having a beer at w/end with his mates like all normal dads! But the stress of what happened on this site got the better of him and has knocked all his confidence out of him being a brickie! He is currently doing HR lessons and has applied for a bus drivers job... but deepdown I know this is not what he wants to do. He wants to do his bricklaying. On this site the brickies worked for the labourers!!!! Now can anyone shed some light on this? I won't go into the details of what happened but it was pathetic and the guys that make the brickies lives hell on this site were ozzies!
Its hard for OH aswell cause most of the jobs are for bricklaying teams and he doesn't know any other brickies except the lads that he worked with on the site.
So at the moment he is currently unemployed, we are trying to sort out this mess but I have to say its being a pretty rough ride for us the last two months.
Oh worked for a union site but didn't last long !! In the paper there are loads of adverts going for brickies to work with other gangs. A friend of mine whose husband has also had the confidence knocked out of him started as a labourer to get his confidence back, even as a labourer he should get more than $1000 a week but that would obviously be before tax, no hols, sick pay etc

Where's NS ?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

YAFOLEY will become famous soon enoughYAFOLEY will become famous soon enough

Yeah thats the thing with the houses you pay your own taxes and don't get paid for days off / sick etc..
Sorry I mean NR we live in Tapping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.