Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bricklayers in Melbourne

Bricklayers in Melbourne

Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:34 am
Just Joined

kevandems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bricklayers in Melbourne

Hi guys, first post on this site, usually sceptical about these kind of forums but I must say that everyone is so supportive of eachother it has warmed my cockles reading the threads, hence this request for information....
I am currently looking at moving to Melbourne on a 457 visa working in recruitment. My partner is a bricklayer, could anyone please advise on the demand, if any, for excellent brick/blocklayers in Melbourne and average salaries?
Also, I'm looking at roles around the 60K mark, we have no kids and plan to rent in the short term. Can you live on this kind of wage in Melbourne?
I look forward to hearing from anyone that can help me and send my thanks in advance!!!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:47 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bricklayers in Melbourne

Hi Guys, about two years ago brickies were getting a dollar a brick on sub-contract.I'm a carpenter and have a few contacts.If you have a problem finding work , contact me and I'll make some calls ( can't give any guarantees though).I only joined this site today ,not sure if you can send pm's or not ,think that would be the way to go.Any question's about the building give me a buzz.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

thank you very much ukcadet, really appreciate your response. How long have you been in Melbourne? For trades is it the simplest thing to leave the job search until you are there in person and ready to start? Oh yeah, how have you found the sites out there compare to the UK? MY boyfriend was working on sites in London for years and that's part of the reason we're leaving - just so grim!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Hi Guys, about two years ago brickies were getting a dollar a brick on sub-contract.I'm a carpenter and have a few contacts.If you have a problem finding work , contact me and I'll make some calls ( can't give any guarantees though).I only joined this site today ,not sure if you can send pm's or not ,think that would be the way to go.Any question's about the building give me a buzz.
You need to post at least 5 times before you can send a PM...so....hello ...
Old Dec 18th 2007, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

just been reading various different threads on here regarding work for bricklayers in MElbourne, is it really that grim? 3 day weeks if you're lucky or has anyone had a better experience? HElp, I'm worried already!!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:04 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevandems
just been reading various different threads on here regarding work for bricklayers in Melbourne, is it really that grim? 3 day weeks if you're lucky or has anyone had a better experience? HElp, I'm worried already!!
Alot of the homes in melbourne were/are constructed using slab and timber frame. A brick skin is applied but not in all cases due too cost. However due to increased environmental targets the more expensive construction of double brick is becoming more competitive.

We are using a system of brick forms which provide excellent thermal and sound insulation. http://www.thermacell.com.au/index.php This is not advertising but something you (THEOP) could have a look at ie broaden your skill base to include other types on construction.

There is supposed to be a large price increase in the cost of concrete in April so do not how this will affect the overall construction in Melbourne/Victoria.
(Most of the delay seem to be with planning in council:curse
Old Dec 18th 2007, 7:57 pm

just been reading various different threads on here regarding work for bricklayers in MElbourne, is it really that grim? 3 day weeks if you're lucky or has anyone had a better experience? HElp, I'm worried already!!
never heard that one about three day week.Been in Mel for 11 yrs.As a subby you can work all the hours you want,very rare to loose a day due to rain.If it does rain, I usually get my kit off and dance around in my jocks( we have had a drought the last 7 years) don't panic,there's still water coming out the taps.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:32 pm

thank you very much ukcadet, really appreciate your response. How long have you been in Melbourne? For trades is it the simplest thing to leave the job search until you are there in person and ready to start? Oh yeah, how have you found the sites out there compare to the UK? MY boyfriend was working on sites in London for years and that's part of the reason we're leaving - just so grim!!!!
work conditions:Union sites are very good , usually commercial site's,in saying that I've only worked on three of them for a total of 12 months.I work in housing.Your given the plans by a supervisor and left to it.You might see them again or you'll meet him on the next job.The jobs are generally individual and in different locations.It's not uncommon to be chasing your money and because of the volume of work you get through it can soon mount up.I've been burnt once,which is good going in 18 yrs(Perth for 7)being left on your own means you have to be organised,think ahead of supervisor ,let them know if you need anything,if you leave it to them you'll loose money.
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
You need to post at least 5 times before you can send a PM...so....hello ...
Thanks Doc . I'll have to pull my finger out
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Doc . I'll have to pull my finger out
You're welcome
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:58 pm

You're welcome
see that your a blood thirsty med student,you could team up with my wife,she works in the emergency dept( luv's it)
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

see that your a blood thirsty med student,you could team up with my wife,she works in the emergency dept( luv's it)
The ED is cool - always something going on! What does she do?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 4:25 am

The ED is cool - always something going on! What does she do?
she has been working in ED for about 7 yrs ,I think, at Royal Mel.Her position at present is Nurse Educator it's on the unit and she goes out on the floor when the proverbial hits the fan.Also doing her Master's.I'm very proud of her.She 'd have a fit if she saw this,she like's to keep it low key.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

she has been working in ED for about 7 yrs ,I think, at Royal Mel.Her position at present is Nurse Educator it's on the unit and she goes out on the floor when the proverbial hits the fan.Also doing her Master's.I'm very proud of her.She 'd have a fit if she saw this,she like's to keep it low key.
Excellent.