Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bricklayers llicense in NSW Help?

Bricklayers llicense in NSW Help?

Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough
Question Bricklayers llicense in NSW Help?

Hi other half went to get his UK paperwork verified in Sydney filled out the forms etc so he could then apply for a license but was told it wasn't possible anymore he had to have Oz qualifications in order to get a license.
Can't see how he got VISA as a skilled in demand for a bricklayer but then can't get a license unless he goes back to college and re do everything again just so it is Australian.
If you research it online it doesn't say this anywhere.
Can any bricklayers out there help that have done this recently in NSW.

Thanks a lot.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all
Default Re: Bricklayers llicense in NSW Help?

He`ll have to contact RPL (Recognition of prior learning) and go from there,be prepared for a lot of time and money spent on bureaucratic bull-as I did in Queensland
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

i cant speak for how they do it in other states but here in wa to get the same papers you just need to get skills recognition.
i did mine through skill hire who i get my apprentices from. it took about 2 days spread over a couple of weeks. i gave them a portfolio of work and they asked a few questions. it was sent off to the dept of education and 3 weeks later i had a nice new cert sat in the house.

i would try the dept of ed or ask one of the labour hire companies. also look for australian bricklaying blocklaying training fund ABBTF. they do the industry training. i keep getting texts saying the cost is down to abt $400 for doing it. will see if i can dig some numbers up when i get home from work

perth
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tramway
Hi other half went to get his UK paperwork verified in Sydney filled out the forms etc so he could then apply for a license but was told it wasn't possible anymore he had to have Oz qualifications in order to get a license.
Can't see how he got VISA as a skilled in demand for a bricklayer but then can't get a license unless he goes back to college and re do everything again just so it is Australian.
If you research it online it doesn't say this anywhere.
Can any bricklayers out there help that have done this recently in NSW.

Thanks a lot.
We're in NSW and hubby is a brikkie and that's what skill we came over on. He hasn't (by choice) wanted that work over here but from the local adverts you don't need a license to work for someone else (only if you are self employed) you just need a white card which you can get online or a half day course etc, it's just a H&S type card lots of workers in different areas need it.

If you wanted to set up as a builder then you'd need a license.

NSW Office of Fair Trading is you best best for answers, they'll give you the most up to date info as they issue/admin all the certifications/licenses
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy66
We're in NSW and hubby is a brikkie and that's what skill we came over on. He hasn't (by choice) wanted that work over here but from the local adverts you don't need a license to work for someone else (only if you are self employed) you just need a white card which you can get online or a half day course etc, it's just a H&S type card lots of workers in different areas need it.

If you wanted to set up as a builder then you'd need a license.

NSW Office of Fair Trading is you best best for answers, they'll give you the most up to date info as they issue/admin all the certifications/licenses
Yip that's the score, good advice!

If you need/want licence need to get recognition to Certificate 3 level AQF, this can be done by assessment. Look at places like the Building Industry Skills Centre (BISC) in Castle Hill. They are part of TAFE and do 1-3 day practical and written assessments in many trades. I got my carpentry AQF there.

Although some building contractors do still insist on subbies having licences in their own individual areas as a protection of their home warranty insurance.

I'm a carpenter and have found that that is generally the case with the builders I've dealt with.

Rate per brick the project home builders are paying is around $1.30 at mo so pretty good if hubby can wack em in! Plus it's easy as mainly timber frame so just brick veneer, and windows installed ready to brick around!

Last edited by MrCro; Jan 13th 2011 at 1:25 am.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

perth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to allperth tiger is a name known to all

get in touch with these in your state. there are incentives to get your trade recognised in oz.

http://www.becomeabricklayer.com.au/

perth
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

tramway will become famous soon enoughtramway will become famous soon enough

Cheers all, he has been working for various contractors here for a year but wants his license now and do his own work same as he did back in UK so
he went into the Trade Recognition office in Darlinghurst with his NVQ paperwork to get them recognised here as per the internet and numerous calls to different government offices re this but the lady in there wouldn't do it she insisted he had to have Australian qualifications, why you would need to get them verified if they were already Australian is another question.

He told her he know other people that did this but she said the system had changed and said qualifications had to be Australian.
So in order to get a license from what she was saying he has to re do all his NVQ equivalent here just so they are Australian.
He has 20yrs exp as a bricklayer plus his NVQ's and got the resident Visa on that basis but can't convert his UK skills to Oz inorder to get a license can't believe this to be true.
He is fed up phoning all the Government offices just get passed around and some say this is how its but the lady in the office wouldn't do it so don't know how to get round this.

Last edited by tramway; Jan 13th 2011 at 7:15 am.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 9:03 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers all, he has been working for various contractors here for a year but wants his license now and do his own work same as he did back in UK so
he went into the Trade Recognition office in Darlinghurst with his NVQ paperwork to get them recognised here as per the internet and numerous calls to different government offices re this but the lady in there wouldn't do it she insisted he had to have Australian qualifications, why you would need to get them verified if they were already Australian is another question.

He told her he know other people that did this but she said the system had changed and said qualifications had to be Australian.
So in order to get a license from what she was saying he has to re do all his NVQ equivalent here just so they are Australian.
He has 20yrs exp as a bricklayer plus his NVQ's and got the resident Visa on that basis but can't convert his UK skills to Oz inorder to get a license can't believe this to be true.
He is fed up phoning all the Government offices just get passed around and some say this is how its but the lady in the office wouldn't do it so don't know how to get round this.
Usual bulshitting jobsworth Aussie I expect. I was told exactly the same 8 years ago. Went to a smaller more friendly office where the guys were able to have a chat & I was sorted in 1/2 an hour. Then it took another 7 months of red tape to actually get the licence. One thing I learned then is don't phone anyone, it's to easy to get someone who just can't be arsed. Pay a personal visit to a smaller regional office, be polite & bite your tongue, tell them what they want to hear etc.etc.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

try TAFE or the BISC as suggested, they can give you the AQF without going back to college all over again. They are big on RPL here so with assessment of producing your portfolio of work and references etc you should have no probs with 20 years experience!

Licencing office then cannot argue!