Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bribane, in 3 months, panic stations!!!

Bribane, in 3 months, panic stations!!!

Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

birchaLL75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bribane, in 3 months, panic stations!!!

Hi I have just registered and am new to all of this but my husband has just been offered a job in Brisbane and the company are at the moment doing all the visa's etc so he is likely to be heading out in October. I need to sell the house and declutter by half (to get into a 20ft) asap, apart from that though my main concerns are where to live and schools for the kids. Where would you reccomend a family from a town would like to live around Brisbane, with 3 very active and sporty young boys age 7,5 and 3. any help greatly appreciated thanks, Helen
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bribane, in 3 months, panic stations!!!

Originally Posted by birchaLL75
Hi I have just registered and am new to all of this but my husband has just been offered a job in Brisbane and the company are at the moment doing all the visa's etc so he is likely to be heading out in October. I need to sell the house and declutter by half (to get into a 20ft) asap, apart from that though my main concerns are where to live and schools for the kids. Where would you reccomend a family from a town would like to live around Brisbane, with 3 very active and sporty young boys age 7,5 and 3. any help greatly appreciated thanks, Helen
Hi Helen

Welcome to BE - life must be very exciting for you at the moment!! Where to live, really depends on where your husband is based for his job.

If he's working in the city then you have lots of choices!! We live in the Bayside area, which is south east of the city. If you look at a map then areas like Cleveland, Ormiston, Thornlands, Victoria Point and Redland Bay might be suitable. Theya re great family areas with LOTS of kids activities and excellent state and private school. It's near the water which is a bonus - especially in the summer when we get the sea breezes that the inland suburbs miss out on!

The last stop on the train is Cleveland and it goes into the city - it's a fairly slow train but an opportunity to catch up with some peace and quiet!

I hope that helps - PM me if you want any more info or just reply here. Good luck with it all.

Love

Rudi
x

PS I am sure lots of people will be along the recommend their area of Brisbane......but the Bayside is the best so just ignore them
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Do an advanced search (pink toolbar at top of page), put in Brisbane suburbs and you'll find stacks of info. Very exciting stuff, good luck with it all and as has been said, loads of advice and info on here so ask away.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rudi
PS I am sure lots of people will be along the recommend their area of Brisbane......but the Bayside is the best so just ignore them

And for those who say we have no beaches ... Clevelands impersonation of a beach....

Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Verndownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Congradulations

How lucky are you! We did our validation trip in Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast in May. Everywhere is so beautiful, so friendly and just fab for kids. Good luck with the move.

Tracey
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:40 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Welcome and good luck with the move.

As someone has pointed out the Bayside suburbs are nice and good areas for families,but i do think it is vastly overrated.

We lived in Redland Bay for a while, which was ok when we rented but when we thought about buying, we found the prices very high compared to other suburbs. I suppose its horses for courses but we thought to pay that extra just to live near the water was too much.
You are fortunate if you can afford a property with a water view, so if you can't "whats the point"

We moved further inland a got a hell of a lot more for our $$$, and are very happy we did.

Any ?? please feel free to drop me a pm.

Good luck
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:13 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Bayside may be nice (and if you talk around here you're likely to think its populated entirely British folk) -

BUT

It can be a long commute to the city from Bayside.

The affluent-west (i.e. NOT the south west) has better state schools (looking at result statistics over the last few years).
Indooroopilly, Kenmore, The Gap, Ferny Grove all have very well respected state schools and have the added bonus of fine geography (tree-lined hills surrounded by bushland). We chose to live in The Gap, as it has a fantastic community feel, one of the most respected (top 3) state high schools in Brisbane, the lowest crime rate, only 20 minutes bus (15 minutes drive off-peak) from CBD and looks nice.

Ultimately its gonna be a personal decison though so come and take look before commiting to an area.

The debate over Bayside v West Brisbane will keep going on - but both are great affluent areas and sports mad kids will be well catered for ANYWHERE.

Congrats on your upcoming move - hope you manage the packing OK!!!

Feel free to ask any questions........
Old Aug 16th 2009, 1:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
We chose to live in The Gap,
I was just looking up the median property prices for The Gap, and almost had a shock... www.homepriceguide.com.au showed a much lower figure than I expected, but then it said "The Gap" was in NSW

A more realistic source www.domain.com.au shows a closer figure :
* The Gap (Brisbane) Median House Prices $486,500
The price similarity to Redland Bay is astounding.
* Redland Bay Median House Prices $485,000

I remember in 2002, being told by locals that Redland Bay would never be popular..... but it has now overtaken Victoria Point in price.... I will have to look back to the 2002 price comparisons, and see how they have changed.

Oh yes...
Redland Bay - UK born 9%
The Gap - UK born 7%

Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Like you, we have just moved from Cheshire to Brisbane (four and a half months ago). We have made Chapel Hill our home and are really pleased that we did. The kids go to Indooroopilly State School which is just five minutes away and we have Indooroopilly Shopping Centre in one direction and Kenmore Village and Kenmore Plazza in the other for all our shopping needs.

My kids are 8 and 6 and the eldest plays "Soccer" each week in Kenmore and they seem to have settled really well now. I work in Salisbury, which is about 20 minutes away, and access to the city is very easy from here. The beaches are about an hour away (Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast) so all in all we feel we made a good choice of location.

I am sure that everyone else will say that the area that they picked is the best, which is why they chose it but of course they are all wrong and I am right!!!
Old Aug 16th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

And for those who say we have no beaches ... Clevelands impersonation of a beach....
http://www.abcdiamond.com/gallery/al...ach%2001v2.JPG
Ive been there with my mate we took the jetski !!!

Kath
Attached Thumbnails Bribane, in 3 months, panic stations!!!-picture-423.jpg   Bribane, in 3 months, panic stations!!!-picture-406.jpg  

Last edited by Kath & Graham; Aug 16th 2009 at 4:38 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

hi helen,
i just want to say i know exactly how you feel, well sort of. although we have been talking about going to oz for a few years we too are going in three or so months. we actually land after a stop over in HK on 8th november. we have no jobs to go to so just looking for cheap temporary accommodation. our container wont get there till january so we will have to have basic furniture when we do find somewhere to live. the list of things to do is getting longer, we just dont seem to be ticking anything off!!
good luck
sarah
Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:35 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Ive been there with my mate we took the jetski !!!

Kath
From those tyre tracks it looks like your drove it down the beach

Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sormesher
our container wont get there till january so we will have to have basic furniture when we do find somewhere to live.
A furniture suggestion that I have made in the past..

Dining table - buy a decent outdoor setting and use indoors (or out) till yours arrives, then transfer it to the patio.

Lounge suite - depending on the size of house you move from or to, you may need a second one anyway for the 'family room".

or for $1,999... from Fantastic Furniture stores
(Does NOT include the TV or mattress )

Old Aug 17th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From those tyre tracks it looks like your drove it down the beach
Yer backed the 4 x 4 onto the beach to pop the jetski on LOL!! They weent all ours lol!!!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the Gold Coast! We live in Helensvale and are loving it. Kids aged 10 and 15. Hubby works in Brisbane CBD and gets the train to work. Takes about 1 hour and is much more relaxing than driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.