Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Breaking a lease

Breaking a lease

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:45 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Breaking a lease

Has anyone got any experience of this ? The agent who we rent from were pretty full on re. breaking it (ie; our fingernails will fall out, the milk will curdle, the sky will fall in etc ) when we signed.
However we have now bought somewhere and are due to settle on Friday with the lease on our rental still to run until middle of April .

Any advice ?

Anyone want a rental (4x2, 3 months old) in Butler WA ?

Gillian
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Breaking a lease

Originally Posted by sme
Has anyone got any experience of this ? The agent who we rent from were pretty full on re. breaking it (ie; our fingernails will fall out, the milk will curdle, the sky will fall in etc ) when we signed.
However we have now bought somewhere and are due to settle on Friday with the lease on our rental still to run until middle of April .

Any advice ?

Gillian
We don't rent but some friends of our are moving out of their rental next week after only 3 months of the 6 months lease.
They were told that if they break the contract they would have to pay up the full 6 months....unless they found somebody else to take over.
Luckily for them a new tenant was found straight away and they owe nothing.
They still have to clean all the house, carpets, do the gardening etc before inspection.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:52 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

You can break a lease - but expect to pay some of the advertising costs for finding a new tenant and the full rent until a tenant is found. If a new tenant is found then they take on the lease and you get out of it.

Its reasonable to have to pay the advertigins costs because the owner would expect to pay 2 times per year ( avg of 6mth leases) but because you are cuasing a notional 3rd time then its reasonable for you to have to pay.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:56 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
You can break a lease - but expect to pay some of the advertising costs for finding a new tenant and the full rent until a tenant is found. If a new tenant is found then they take on the lease and you get out of it.

Its reasonable to have to pay the advertigins costs because the owner would expect to pay 2 times per year ( avg of 6mth leases) but because you are cuasing a notional 3rd time then its reasonable for you to have to pay.

I agree its reasonable to pay for costs etc and rent until someone is found and am prepared to do this. Just after a bit of anecdotal advice as have never done this sort of thing before, could do with someone to hold my hand when I speak to the agent as she was pretty scary:scared:
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme

Any advice ?

Gillian
I dont know much about breaking the lease but we are after a good sized newish 4x2 in that area! We have been looking at one in Butler today and have sent in an application for it but we still want to look at others too.

We need to have it sorted before the end of Jan as thats when our belongings arrive.

PM me with the details if you like, as long as it has ducted air con?

Cheers.

Stu.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:06 am
sme
......in the sand !

It hasn't got ducted but one on the wall - would that do ?

Gillian
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

I think we're looking for one with ducted up to now but I'll let you know.

The other couple's house we looked at in Butler today were also breaking their lease! Unless it was you! lol Nah that one had ducted air con.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:09 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
It hasn't got ducted but one on the wall - would that do ?

Gillian
My usual approach to this sort of thing is to ring them and say ' Hi - we will be breaking the lease, can you advise us how you usually do this - Im sure you've been throught it a million times'..... and pause ;-)

Its just business Im sure they'll be fine. I understand your hesitation though, of the letting agents we've dealt with in renting for 2yrs since arriving I would certainly cross continents to avoid one of the old 'darl's ' a right battleaxe with a blue rinse.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 11:14 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by spalen
My usual approach to this sort of thing is to ring them and say ' Hi - we will be breaking the lease, can you advise us how you usually do this - Im sure you've been throught it a million times'..... and pause ;-)

Its just business Im sure they'll be fine. I understand your hesitation though, of the letting agents we've dealt with in renting for 2yrs since arriving I would certainly cross continents to avoid one of the old 'darl's ' a right battleaxe with a blue rinse.

Could you do it for me ?

I know I'm just being a big Jessie