bread flour

Old May 6th 2006, 6:11 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question bread flour

Now that the bread machine has finally arrived with us in Oz, we may as well start putting it to use.

Been into the local Woolies and all the bread flour they have is premixed, I just want to be able to get bread flour as it is (preferable white and wholemeal). Know where I can get some?

thank
walaj
Old May 6th 2006, 6:18 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bread flour

Originally Posted by walaj
Now that the bread machine has finally arrived with us in Oz, we may as well start putting it to use.

Been into the local Woolies and all the bread flour they have is premixed, I just want to be able to get bread flour as it is (preferable white and wholemeal). Know where I can get some?

thank
walaj
Hi Walaj, you should be able to buy bread flour in Woolworths or Coles, I got some the other day in Woolies made by Tip Top called "High Grade" flour, but Im sure the Defiance one is just called Bread Flour - could be called Strong Flour, so keep an eye out for that as well.

Since you are obviously a wizz with the bread machine maybe you should contribute to my Bread recipe thread http://http://britishexpats.com/foru...d.php?t=371177
Old May 6th 2006, 6:25 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

thanks - It still can take an age looking around the supermarket getting familiar with different names/brands, that you start to stare and stare at the shelves, eyes glaze over and can't find anything (even if it is staring right back at you).

Will look again, or try in a bigger store

as for recipes, just go with what is in the booklet that came with the machine (the only diff I do is to put a bit of wholemeal in the white loaf so it is not as spongy), which reminds me it (the booklet) has yet to surface in all the unpacking.
Old May 6th 2006, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

The only one I've found so far is Wallaby Bakery Flour which comes in 5kg bags (Can't remember where I found it but it was after a number of weeks hunting in every supermarket I came accross). I also found that most the bread stuff here is pre-mix.
Old May 6th 2006, 6:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks - It still can take an age looking around the supermarket getting familiar with different names/brands, that you start to stare and stare at the shelves, eyes glaze over and can't find anything (even if it is staring right back at you).

Will look again, or try in a bigger store

as for recipes, just go with what is in the booklet that came with the machine (the only diff I do is to put a bit of wholemeal in the white loaf so it is not as spongy), which reminds me it (the booklet) has yet to surface in all the unpacking.
Good idea about the bigger store, our local Woolies is only a small one & you could easily miss the breadmaking stuff altogether if you werent looking!

If it's any help the TipTop High Grade flour is in a yellow package, my Woolies only had it in a 1.2kg pack, but the Defiance one comes in 2 larger sizes (I think 4 & 8KG?).

The premix ones certainly seem to dominate the market, especially ones with flavourings in them, Ive only ever used one & I thought it was horrible .
Old May 6th 2006, 7:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I've always fancied a breadmaking machine - are they all they're cracked up to be? Or would it be shoved into the pantry alongside the olive destoner and the ham shaver?
Old May 6th 2006, 7:21 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I've always fancied a breadmaking machine - are they all they're cracked up to be? Or would it be shoved into the pantry alongside the olive destoner and the ham shaver?
Now that is a very good point! It seems some are real enthusiasts and others lose interest after the novelty wears off. It may not just be a matter of personality but the quality, sizes and range of breads, buns etc your machine can spit out.

Some people I have heard end up scoffing vast quantities of bread they otherwise wouldn't have, and end up a size or two large as a result

If you've got a good oven, some loaf pans, a few recipes etc you can easily turn out good bread without the need for a bread machine. Make two or three loaves at a time, one for eating that day (and the next 1-2 days maybe), the others to freeze so they are fresh when you do go to eat them.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:09 am
no longer searching

Originally Posted by Wol
I have been in cooking mode the last few days - partly in an effort to fill the empty big freezer and just cause I can use all the cooking implements that have been missed these last few months.

Apart from bread, which I prefer to set the night before so you wake up with the smell of bread filling the house, I want it to take hard work out of making dough for pizza bases.

In the UK we would go through phases of making bread every other day, then we would get out of the habit especially if we picked a load up reduced to 10p and freeze it.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=kiwichild]
Some people I have heard end up scoffing vast quantities of bread they otherwise wouldn't have, and end up a size or two large as a result
QUOTE]

That's me!!!

I love my bread machine but to avoid the above problem I only use it occasionally now and often use the premixes like Laucke to avoid the urge to keep making loads. Otherwise it's sundried tomato and olive breads or multigrain, multiseed extravaganzas until my fly pops open! (Sorry, too much information!!) And no problems getting flour at our local woolies.
I mostly buy Helga's or Noble Rise breads which I prefer to just about anything I bought in the UK.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

thank
walaj
Hi there. I have found strong white flour in some supermarkets but struggle to get strong stoneground wholemeal. What I now do is buy bags of gluten from a wholefood shop and add it to non-strong flours. It works really well. You add 2 tablespoons to each cup of flour and you can then use whatever flour you like the taste of.
I guess someone has to use up all the gluten from all those poor folk who can't eat it...
If anyone can tell me where I can buy a replacement Panasonic bread maker in Sydney I'd be grateful as mine is giving up the ghost after years of use.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Possible Bread Enthusiasts,

I feel I have to come clean, I used to be the Product Manager for Panasonic Bread makers in the UK before leaving 2/3 years ago.

I really would advise the SD253 Panasonic model with the raisin / nut dispenser, which will drop the additional ingredients into the mixture at the right moment of the cooking process. Also has Gluten Free programs for any Ceoliac sufferers.

Also the quality of flour here will be far better, as UK is blended with Canadian to bring it up to scratch.

Hope this helps, Good Guys have Panasonic.

Tracey
Old May 6th 2006, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I got my bread maker last year for my birthday and i can honestly say it is used roughly 3 times a week ,i make white/wholemeal mix for kids, country grain brown for my self, raisin bread for hubby(gorgeous toasted) and i buy a packet of ginger bread mix which when made up tastes just like Jamaica cake, yummy.
My kids when we were on hols had to make do with shop bought bread and complained it had no taste. My kids are so fussy that i must be doing something right.
Mandy
Old May 6th 2006, 1:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My husband bought me our first one about 6 years ago and we used it so much that I burned out the motor. Same with the second one. They lasted about 2 to 3 years each, so not too worried about it. We made at least one loaf every day and either sent the kids to school with home make bread or gave it away. I just loved the smell of fresh bread in the house . New bread maker is on the list of appliances to buy when we arrive in Aus.
Something I always did, though, is to only use it for the mixing cycle and then bake the bread in the oven in a regular loaf tin. You get a better loaf without the indent in the bottom where the mixer blade was and the top is crustier.
Not sure if it's the same in the UK, but bread flour is the same as "all purpose" or "hard" flour in North America.
Old May 6th 2006, 2:21 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the one I got and I love it. Brought it mainly for gluten free programs and I've used spelt flour with great success in it. At the moment though it mainly used on the short white bread cycle for OH. Had it for about 9 months and used it nearly every day.
I got it from Panasales in Melbourne so got it cheaper but well worth while.

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog

I really would advise the SD253 Panasonic model with the raisin / nut dispenser, which will drop the additional ingredients into the mixture at the right moment of the cooking process. Also has Gluten Free programs for any Ceoliac sufferers.
Old May 6th 2006, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi Possible Bread Enthusiasts,

I feel I have to come clean, I used to be the Product Manager for Panasonic Bread makers in the UK before leaving 2/3 years ago.

Also the quality of flour here will be far better, as UK is blended with Canadian to bring it up to scratch.

Hope this helps, Good Guys have Panasonic.

Tracey
Thanks Tracey. I will give Good Guys a call. I thought Panasonic had a great product there. Much better than other bread makers I've used. Perhaps the competition may have caught up in the last few years, but I'd rather stick to one I know I like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.