bread

Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

topcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bread

I'm getting really fed up with the fresh bread available near me (choice of Brumby's/Coles/Woolies). None of it lasts long and the wholemeal etc options seem to actually be white with a token handful of whole grain. Tasmania has miles better bread (even the packaged/sliced stuff) and I'm tired of going to the supermarket all the time just for bread.

So I'm thinking of getting a breadmaker and making my own but are they really worth it? I've seen a fairly cheap one (no timer), but have vague memories of trying bread made in one back in the UK and finding it a bit strange and yeasty.

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

TC
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Do you have the bakers chain called "Bakers Delight" up there?? We have them in Adelaide and also were tading in New Zealand too. Their bread is wonderful, and htey do every kind you can thnk of. Most branches make it onsite fresh daily, and i have found that it keeps a long time.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:03 am
Goodpubmisser

Keep the bread in the fridge it lasts longer.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:03 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: bread

Originally posted by topcat
I'm getting really fed up with the fresh bread available near me (choice of Brumby's/Coles/Woolies). None of it lasts long and the wholemeal etc options seem to actually be white with a token handful of whole grain. Tasmania has miles better bread (even the packaged/sliced stuff) and I'm tired of going to the supermarket all the time just for bread.

So I'm thinking of getting a breadmaker and making my own but are they really worth it? I've seen a fairly cheap one (no timer), but have vague memories of trying bread made in one back in the UK and finding it a bit strange and yeasty.

TC
Talking about Bread ....
Our local fruit & veg shop sells bread for 95c per large loaf, and it lasts longer than the Main brands at Woolworths etc., and they cost about $2.40 a loaf. It freezes well, but only lasts about 2 days after freezing. It's the "Country" brand, also sold in some shops for $1.50 !

I'm also interested in replies on bread machines. I might get one for my wifes birthday if they are any good

Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Talking about Bread ....
Our local fruit & veg shop sells bread for 95c per large loaf, and it lasts longer than the Main brands at Woolworths etc., and they cost about $2.40 a loaf. It freezes well, but only lasts about 2 days after freezing. It's the "Country" brand, also sold in some shops for $1.50 !

I'm also interested in replies on bread machines. I might get one for my wifes birthday if they are any good

oooh..you romantic fool you...
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I've become a big fan of Turkish bread. The vietnamese bakeries can be good because they picked up a few techniques from the French.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

since i have been on my ahem... posterior reducing regime (not allowed to say diet!!) I have discovered that most breads are not that healthy for you.
Most breads unless they are high in whole grains, or rye, which is the best, are high on the glycemic food index, which isnt good for blood sugar levels.
Not that it will stop most of you eating it !! But for those looking for a healthy life, stay off all breads but the ones listed above.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

For tasty brown try Noble Rise avail in the supermarkets about $2.70 a loaf but its really thick brown and grainey.

Anyone on the sunny coast who wants to chop a bucket load off their grocery bill try Erbachers on the road out to BLI BLI from the Plaza.

Milk $1.60 compared to $2.97 in supers

Bread 900g for $1.45 instead of almost $3.00 in supers

Eggs, fresh actually laid there about $3.00

most fruit and veg half the price of supermarkets.

It does not last as long in the heat as the supermarket stuff but all that probably means is its got less chemicals in it.

They also do a cheese that has taste, Kenilworth vintage, great stuff .
Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:58 am
WBB

Originally posted by topcat

TC
my mrs has been talking about getting a breadmaker when (if) we get to aussie, is the bread that bad there ?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by welshboybilly
my mrs has been talking about getting a breadmaker when (if) we get to aussie, is the bread that bad there ?

Not in my opinion no..but its all relative according to your taste. The stuff i buy at BD is better than UK
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:31 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Why is bread so bloody expensive in Australia? They grow wheat etc surely?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:32 am
WBB

Originally posted by cherry6

i think it is hard to keep fresh for long, keeping it in the fridge does help though.

Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cherry6
In the UK the supermarkets sell it a loss leader in the supposed price wars. Same with baked beans.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:44 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

We have a bread maker. It's good and quite easy, but still can't be bothered to make it half the time, but that's cos I'm lazy.
And I can't get those ready bread packs cheaply.
And the breads that do come out are quite small. So all in all it's easier and cheaper buying here (in Holland)

In WA lots of people (I know) have breadmakers. MUch more than here. And you can get the flour with all stuff in it (so ready) in bulk easily apparently.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:45 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

What about yoghurt makers? Yoghurt is quite expensive as well isnt it? Anyone made their own?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.