Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brands & Shopping

Brands & Shopping

Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Tricky Nicky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brands & Shopping

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed previously but just wondered why certain brands have not ventured into OZ as yet such as, Gap Clothing, M & S, Decathlon, Next, Amazon, . . . etc.

Seems to me that they would be very successful and Australia would represent a significant growth market, especially given that all of them already operate in Far East?

Feedback or knowledge would be very much appreciated!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:21 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brands & Shopping

I heard that GAP was opening in the new Westfield Sydney.

There will also be Zara which you'd know from the UK plus other Aussie firsts.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tricky Nicky
Apologies in advance if this has been discussed previously but just wondered why certain brands have not ventured into OZ as yet such as, Gap Clothing, M & S, Decathlon, Next, Amazon, . . . etc.

Seems to me that they would be very successful and Australia would represent a significant growth market, especially given that all of them already operate in Far East?

Feedback or knowledge would be very much appreciated!
Only 20 million potential customers over a massive landmass...?
As opposed to 400 million potential customers in Western Europe alone over a landmass smaller than WA...?
It seems a no-brainer to me. Costs are too high (think freight costs mostly) for such a small market...
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:29 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

we were never really into brand name clothes in regional Queensland. you kinda looked out of place all dressed up like that. Besides i do not like synthetics at all in a warm climate.

i either buy it at kmart or sew it myself. no need to spend that much money unless its for swimwear/beachwear that you wear all the time outside of work.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:31 pm
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

i do remember was it monsoon or accesorise that opened on the queen street mall a few years ago? i thought the prices were way to expensive compared to anything else. not seen them since in Aus.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:50 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

The high streets in Australia are still a bit different from the ones in the UK, can we please try to keep it that way a little longer.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moocow
i do remember was it monsoon or accesorise that opened on the queen street mall a few years ago? i thought the prices were way to expensive compared to anything else. not seen them since in Aus.
Accesorize was franchised and has since closed n Aus. M&S and Evans are among stores that have recently started to do internet shopping fwith AUs delivery, think thats the best we will get.
Do what I do, come home once a year and do all your shopping in one go
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Only 20 million potential customers over a massive landmass...?
As opposed to 400 million potential customers in Western Europe alone over a landmass smaller than WA...?
It seems a no-brainer to me. Costs are too high (think freight costs mostly) for such a small market...
If you use your logic, why do any foreign companies operate here (there are many)?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you use your logic, why do any foreign companies operate here (there are many)?
Not many of the smaller retailers (on an international scale) such as Next or M&S who operate mostly in the UK. The ones that are here are the large multinationals that tend to have a global presence already.

Decathlon for example has only just started its global expansion and would have to compete with local brands that have a strong hold on the market (mainly I guess Kathmandu). They have been around for years in France but not so long in the rest of Europe/world.

Amazon probably can't see the point of having operations in Oz since book and music prices are quite high and people can buy from UK/US Amazon or download at more competitive prices.

And of course there are other brands that do operate here, and probably do well, such as MNG or ... can't think of any other...

It's only a guess... I'm no economist or market analyst, but it makes sense to me anyway. Happy to be proved wrong

I do know from a friend who works for P&G (and from experience ) that in the case of Pampers nappies, they have only just introduced them to Coles, after a long trial run, because they weren't sure whether they could break the Huggies monopoly. I'm sure loads of people will jump up and down and say that Huggies are not the only brand available here, but in their price and quality range, they pretty much are on their own. I know, I've tried all the others And I was very happy when Pampers came on the market. Better than Huggies - at least for boys - any day!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

It surprises me that M&S hasn't made it's way here - there is one in Singapore which has a much smaller population and I am sure that there are enough Brits and South African's to keep it afloat.

Honestly, I would prefer to see more Supermarket competition before clothing. My sons clothes almost all come from Target who are cheap and cheerful and the quality is not bad at all.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I'd still like to see Next delivery here but I agree we need more supermarket competition.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:56 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

yeah definately need more competition regards supermarkets and yes, I'd be perfectly happy if tescos came here with the sort of offers that they offer in the uk.
Regards clothing, I wont even start on the 'choice' or the quality of ladies/mens clothes here BUT will someone tell me why there is sweet FA when it comes to boys clothes aged 10-16? its appalling!
Have been in target/kmart/big w etc etc and literally walked past their 'display' without even realising it as it was so very small. Thought I had obviously missed it and asked the person on the floor and was told that was it! Once was really up the proverbial creek as he had his jacket pinched and I couldnt find a shop with a jacket in as 'we've got in the new season now so theres no jackets till the next season'!!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Just saw on tv that gap is opening in Melbourne in a month, then in Sydney. Followed by Zara and H&M next year. Finally I might be able to get some quality clothes that dont cost an arm and a leg!!

I don't see how shipping costs come into it for oz, most of the clothes are made in India, China or other far east countries anyway. Oz is closer!

Same for population, River Island and Next have multiple stores in Dubai and they only have a 2 million population. They're in Singapore too.

I wonder if the aussie retailers can compete? I found clothes made in India and China bought from UK retailers to be of higher quality and cheaper than oz retailers. Maybe they just pick the better sweatshops to make it!!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I've just got back from Singapore and there is Top Shop, M&S, Gap, Zara, MNG, River Island, Jigsaw and more I think - so they must think it's worthwhile. I note even Next have an outlet in somewhere like Qatar but we can't have one here?

I'm sooo fed up with hearing the words "its a small market" as an excuse for everything, high prices, lack of choice etc - Singapore has 4 million people (okay squashed into the size of the IOW) but they get so much more choice in everything and better prices. Lets face it they've only got to distribute amongst a few big cities - not every country town in Oz.

This is a worry of Julia's "not big Oz" that we will never get the choice and prices?

Agreed though we could really do with some more supermarket competition and ranges!

I'm going to give M&S delivery a go once they get their winter gear in, today I decided to buy a new jumper....hardly anything left in the shops!

So far I've been lucky in that I've gone back to the UK each year so have stocked up on certain items and shoes in Singapore!

The only problem you might find with UK brands overseas is that they tend to be more expensive so you maybe better just doing mail order from M&S!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by koalakim
Singapore has 4 million people (okay squashed into the size of the IOW) but they get so much more choice in everything and better prices. Lets face it they've only got to distribute amongst a few big cities - not every country town in Oz.
Interesting population compared to area sizes...
  • Singapore 704,225 per 100 sq km
  • London 442,960 per 100 sq km
  • Melbourne 45,424 per 100 sq km
  • Sydney 37,052 per 100 sq km
  • Brisbane 33,875 per 100 sq km

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.