Reload this Page >

Box Hill / Doncaster in Melbourne

Box Hill / Doncaster in Melbourne

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:49 am
Just Joined

LizInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Box Hill / Doncaster in Melbourne

Hey all,

Any idea how the suburbs of Box Hill and Doncaster are? I need to go to Blackburn for work and my partner to the CBD. So wondering where to stay??? All tips are welcome !!

Cheers
LizInOz
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:01 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Box Hill / Doncaster in Melbourne

Originally Posted by LizInOz
Hey all,

Any idea how the suburbs of Box Hill and Doncaster are? I need to go to Blackburn for work and my partner to the CBD. So wondering where to stay??? All tips are welcome !!

Cheers
LizInOz

They are both ok Liz although my preferance would be for Doncaster.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Round Laburnum station is pleasant
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:22 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Round Laburnum station is pleasant

Don't be cruel you.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:24 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Cheers
LizInOz
Friends parents live in Doncaster. Boxhill has a big chinese community so alot of great food if you enjoy chinese. Have driven through both and they seem okay - Have not heard anything wrong - others may have more info.

We are moving to Malvern which is not too far away looking at a Melways
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:26 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Don't be cruel you.
Bordy, What area are you mate? is there something about L Station we should know about?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:43 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by thebears
Bordy, What area are you mate? is there something about L Station we should know about?

I'm in Ferntree Gully but I wouldn't fancy living around any of the stations in the Eastern suburbs. They tend to draw the kids at night, we had a stabbing at FTG station the other weekend & a guy killed recently trying to train surf from Bayswater.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

sg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura about

Hey all,

Cheers
LizInOz
Hi LizInOz,

I spent 3 weeks on a reccie there last year, my Godmother lives in Boxhill North, very nice area, above average on the house price front. Her daughter works in the WestFIeld Shopping Center in Doncaster, so I had one or two trips there to do a bit of shopping and generally look around, Doncaster looks good as well.

I am sure otheres that live close by will be able to give you better feed-back, as my experience was only "first impressions"

Regards

sg1964
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road

Laburnam and Blackburn are both really nice, the trainline is a really good service as well, If you can afford it, I would go for Blackburn/Lab over Box Hill and Doncaster. Doncaster seems nice but if you need public transport it may be awkward.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:55 am
Australia since 09/2001

Location: Chichester > Wellington 04/00 > Melbourne 09/01 > Perth 12/06
natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice

Hi - we're in Mount Waverley (Ashwood end) and that's not too far from Blackburn. Blackburn, Blackburn South are ok. Boxhill itself is as someone's said Chinese - heavily so - but it has a good centre to it - it's well serviced (hospital, shopping centre etc.).
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:58 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by natmcg
Hi - we're in Mount Waverley (Ashwood end) and that's not too far from Blackburn. Blackburn, Blackburn South are ok. Boxhill itself is as someone's said Chinese - heavily so - but it has a good centre to it - it's well serviced (hospital, shopping centre etc.).
Isnt Ashwood near Malvern?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:01 am
Australia since 09/2001

natmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nicenatmcg is just really nice

Isnt Ashwood near Malvern?
Yes - not far - Ashwood, then Ashburton - I think Glen Iris comes next and then Malvern? All much of a muchness. Ashwood is tiny anyway.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:56 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by natmcg
Yes - not far - Ashwood, then Ashburton - I think Glen Iris comes next and then Malvern? All much of a muchness. Ashwood is tiny anyway.
My wife used to live in Ashburton when she went to school in Melbourne. We looked at Surrey Hills and Canterbury but now seem quite settled on Malvern/Glen Iris areas.

You are heading off shortly for Perth?

Have you managed to catch up with Shelley and Darren? they are in Mount Waverley.

Kiwi
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:05 pm
Australia since 09/2001

My wife used to live in Ashburton when she went to school in Melbourne. We looked at Surrey Hills and Canterbury but now seem quite settled on Malvern/Glen Iris areas.
Malvern/Glen Iris are good areas - significantly more pricey being closer into the city however.

You are heading off shortly for Perth?
Yes - mid-September - so shortlyish I guess.

Have you managed to catch up with Shelley and Darren? they are in Mount Waverley.
Nope - never heard of them. Perhaps I should look them up... Fellow expats I take it?
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

My brother lives within a 10 minute walk of Laburnum Station in Blackburn, right near Laburnum Primary School. It's a very nice area - quiet, nice parks, no trouble with kids while we were there in Feb, and the train is very convenient to the CBD. Also a couple nice shops right near the station.

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'm in Ferntree Gully but I wouldn't fancy living around any of the stations in the Eastern suburbs. They tend to draw the kids at night, we had a stabbing at FTG station the other weekend & a guy killed recently trying to train surf from Bayswater.