Bottle Banks?

Old May 8th 2010, 12:47 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bottle Banks?

You know the way in the UK there are amenity sites where you drive in and go to each different skip with whatever material you're dumping? Well we've found our local one of those, no problem.

What it is that I'm looking for though is those things you'd find at the likes of Tescos etc, the recycling 'banks' for you to put your glass bottles/plastic/old clothes etc in, what are they called here so I can do a local search on the t'interweb?!

Thanks in advance folksters xo
Old May 8th 2010, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bottle Banks?

Here in sydney all households have glass/plastic recycling bins which are collected fortnightly so I guess no need for those.

I have seen clothes recycling banks (the company run ones which make money for themselves as well as a bit for charity) here but they sometimes seem to be not where expected. I know of one near me on the edge of the road which is almost wasteland so it is worth looking where you wouldn't expect, otherwise do you have a local charity shop?
Old May 8th 2010, 12:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
Here in sydney all households have glass/plastic recycling bins which are collected fortnightly so I guess no need for those.

I have seen clothes recycling banks (the company run ones which make money for themselves as well as a bit for charity) here but they sometimes seem to be not where expected. I know of one near me on the edge of the road which is almost wasteland so it is worth looking where you wouldn't expect, otherwise do you have a local charity shop?
We have a recycling bin but we recyle a lot and unlike in the UK where my OH could crush his beer cans, he now drinks out of bottles and they are bulky in the bin...
Old May 8th 2010, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
We have a recycling bin but we recyle a lot and unlike in the UK where my OH could crush his beer cans, he now drinks out of bottles and they are bulky in the bin...
If you need a bigger one try calling your council, both the councils I've lived in have been happy to provide extra recycling bins (one had a small charge for the bin but it was less than $100).

Watch out if you want an extra/bigger rubbish bin though as some councils increase your rates to cover the extra landfill you're creating.
Old May 8th 2010, 1:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
If you need a bigger one try calling your council, both the councils I've lived in have been happy to provide extra recycling bins (one had a small charge for the bin but it was less than $100).

Watch out if you want an extra/bigger rubbish bin though as some councils increase your rates to cover the extra landfill you're creating.
Brisbane have just announced that they're rolling out larger bins that the customer has to pay $30 for. Don't have them here though, so it's possibly not 'normal'. May be worth ringing your council Jen, to ask if they do the bigger bins.
Old May 8th 2010, 1:54 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Cut down on the booze?

Clothes banks are outside St Vinnies. Ask the cooncil for another/a bigger recycling box.
Old May 8th 2010, 3:02 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

smash the bottles
Old May 8th 2010, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

We have a large recycling bin provided by council, but that's only because they only pick up the recycling once a fortnight. They alternate with green waste. You should be able to check with your council if you can get a bigger one.

Here in Melbourne, most councils operate transfer stations that will let you dump recyclable items for free if you need to, in addition to the normal collection. Worth to check if your council offers this service. It's very handy when you move in and have to get rid of all the boxes the flatpack furniture came in
Old May 8th 2010, 4:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Brisbane have just announced that they're rolling out larger bins that the customer has to pay $30 for. Don't have them here though, so it's possibly not 'normal'. May be worth ringing your council Jen, to ask if they do the bigger bins.
We tried recently in Brisbane to get a second recycling bin for our units and Brisbane told us we'd have to pay - even though at present there is one bin between 3 units, emptied fortnightly. The two gys in one unit fill that one their own with coke bottles, so I've given up. There aren't any public recycling bins so I now just throw everything in together. I hate doing it, I'd much rather recycle stuff but I don't have a choice.
The only alternate here is the public tip but to use that you either have to be a ratepayer (ie the landlord) or have a very amenable landlord who will give you the ticket he has from the council.
Old May 8th 2010, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

norfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nice

Or just throw them from your car window,which is apparently the norm here in Perth!!
Old May 8th 2010, 9:01 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

In Adelaide the 10cents deposit on all drink containers makes sure you don,t see them any were , lots of pensioners roaming the streets ,and road sides collecting , and making a quid ...........mm
Old May 8th 2010, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
In Adelaide the 10cents deposit on all drink containers makes sure you don,t see them any were , lots of pensioners roaming the streets ,and road sides collecting , and making a quid ...........mm
Don't think it hasnt crossed my mind to make the occasional trip to Adelaide with my luggage full of empties
Old May 9th 2010, 12:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't think it hasnt crossed my mind to make the occasional trip to Adelaide with my luggage full of empties
I always thought they sent a truck & trailer for your weekly empties
Old May 9th 2010, 12:40 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

So to conclude, there's no such thing as a bottle bank here in oz?! Not gonna order a second or larger bin as it's a Defence property and we're not here for too long, thanks folks xo
Old May 9th 2010, 1:38 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cresta57
I always thought they sent a truck & trailer for your weekly empties
Not any more, they only have MY bottles to deal with now - twas different when Bernie was drinking here too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.