Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boring Tax Return Questions

Boring Tax Return Questions

Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:07 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boring Tax Return Questions

First time I've done a return, so does anyone know the following?

1. Do I have to declare my income in the tax year that I earned before migrating?

2. Does my other half have to do a return if she hasn't worked since we got here?

Ta,

Paul.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:59 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boring Tax Return Questions

Originally Posted by diddy
First time I've done a return, so does anyone know the following?

1. Do I have to declare my income in the tax year that I earned before migrating?

2. Does my other half have to do a return if she hasn't worked since we got here?

Ta,

Paul.
1 - Income from the day you turned up in Aus, they only want to know about income you earned since being resident in Aus but that could possibly include earnings from the UK if you are still getting them now, eg rental income, premium bond winning etc.

2 Yes
Old Aug 8th 2005, 5:04 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
1 - Income from the day you turned up in Aus, they only want to know about income you earned since being resident in Aus but that could possibly include earnings from the UK if you are still getting them now, eg rental income, premium bond winning etc.

2 Yes
Sorry - meant to write more and pressed the button too early

on question 2 you might not have to lodge the full form but you still have to sign a declaration check out here

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...p=001&st=&cy=1
Old Aug 8th 2005, 5:19 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

can I ask something on this subject too?

What do we do re. interest earned on our capital in the bank?

When we 1st arrived, we had a joint account and kept it for a while after my husband started work; as we were offered a mortgage and were househunting.

After 6 months, we gave up househunting, moved into a rental and I moved the money into a high interest account in just my name!

Any advice, please?

gd
Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

can I ask something on this subject too?

What do we do re. interest earned on our capital in the bank?
You've got to declare it.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You've got to declare it.
Quite right - don't risk not declaring it - banks share interest info with the tax office.

You can split the interest paid on a joint account (declare half each) but the interest paid on the account in your name (the OP, I mean) will have to go on your tax return.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

thanks for your advice!

I am intending to declare it, but wondered how to do it, ie do I halve it and put half on my return and half on my husbands?

Also, do they then ask for a percentage of it as tax?

gd
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

thanks for your advice!

I am intending to declare it, but wondered how to do it, ie do I halve it and put half on my return and half on my husbands?

Also, do they then ask for a percentage of it as tax?

gd
Yes, the joint account interest is split down the middle and half goes on yours and half goes on your husband's return.

If your bank had your tax file number(s) then you will have received the full amount of interest. If not, then they will have already deducted 48%, and paid you the rest.

What you pay is dependant on your marginal rate of tax. You might get some back (if the bank withheld 48%) or you might have to pay.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 8:58 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Just done my tax return, the bond investment was taxed, we had to declare it, and because it was joint names both had to declare 50%, also any other bank accounts where you are given interest even UK ones.

I used H&R block, very good, she got me claiming laundry expenses, internet usage, travel expenses at 65c a k/m which just made my day, my tafe fees and anything I need to buy myself for work. They where really good and yes I got a refund. She ahs given me a list of things to start collecting for next year, med expenses for the family was one, something to do with if you spend more than $1500 in any tax year we can claim some more back, so with my sons ortho work we can do that as well.

Jenny
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

smwtorrington is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks

its my first tax return as well, my tax consultant says that im only due part of the $6000 tax free bracket (pro rata) calculated from the time i arrived in australia ?? i got my visa grant (permanent visa) in August 2004 but entered on 6th Jan 2005 (so im only entitled to just under $3000 of the tax bracket before paying 30% tax rate).

anybody have any experience/ comments

many thanks

scott
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:23 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smwtorrington
Hi folks

its my first tax return as well, my tax consultant says that im only due part of the $6000 tax free bracket (pro rata) calculated from the time i arrived in australia ?? i got my visa grant (permanent visa) in August 2004 but entered on 6th Jan 2005 (so im only entitled to just under $3000 of the tax bracket before paying 30% tax rate).

many thanks

scott
That's right Scott,

Same thing happened to me; I arrived in Sept though so I got 10 months allowance - $5000.

Elaine M
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

smwtorrington is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply Elaine, you cant then calculate back to the day of your visa grant ? its from the day you landed ?

many thanks

scott
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:52 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by smwtorrington
Hi folks

many thanks

scott
Here are the tax bands for the last tax year (not including medicare).

Code:
upto   6,000	 0%
upto  21,600	17%
upto  58,000	30%
upto  70,000	42%
above 70,000	47%
Only the tax free band ($6000) is reduced pro-rata, after that, the next $15,600 is taxed at 17% (plus medicare), and so on.

A

Last edited by kirsty&al; Aug 8th 2005 at 10:56 am.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 12:17 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I did my own & Mrs Rog's e-tax return a few weeks ago (it took ages before the £/$ exchange rates were posted on the ATO website, didn't it?!) and found it extremely straightforward - certainly compared with the UK e-return, which I never managed to get to work.

We were liable to pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge but the e-return totalled up as if we had been in Oz since the 1st July. So, after phoning, I found that you can attach (on the e-return) a message explaining your figures. It's found from the "your spouse" page only, which is weird!

Anyway, MY assessment came back with the correct allowance for non-residency but Mrs Rog's didn't - they had just ignored the message. But they are very helpful on the phone - must be the fact they're in WA!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.