Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Borders 40% off books

Borders 40% off books

Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Borders 40% off books

For all of you pissed off with the high price of books in Australia, Borders have 40% off all books for a week from today.

You need to sign up for their email newsletter at:
www.borders.com.au
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:04 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Borders 40% off books

Originally Posted by Amazulu
For all of you pissed off with the high price of books in Australia, Borders have 40% off all books for a week from today.

www.borders.com.au
I picked this up on one of your previous posts, thanks. As one deal ends there is always another one to replace it. There are only 2 disadvantages - as far as I know the only branch in Perth is in the CBD. More importantly, I read a week or two ago that Angus & Robertson (I think it was them) have agreed to buy them out in Australia removing the competition so it probably won't last.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:16 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

www.borders.com.au

signed up and got a voucher for 20% to print off....

still worth it tho - thanks for the headsup
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I picked this up on one of your previous posts, thanks. As one deal ends there is always another one to replace it. There are only 2 disadvantages - as far as I know the only branch in Perth is in the CBD. More importantly, I read a week or two ago that Angus & Robertson (I think it was them) have agreed to buy them out in Australia removing the competition so it probably won't last.
It would be very sad if they were bought out - although I couldn't find anything online about it. A&R and Dymocks are a pile of pooh compared to Borders. Until the Borders store in Perth opened the state of bookshops here was dire. One of the only things I miss about the UK is decent bookshops.

If this happens, Amazon and The Book Depository are going to be getting more of my money.

Just found something:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...75-643,00.html

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 14th 2008 at 1:39 am.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:03 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

It would be very sad if they were bought out - although I couldn't find anything online about it. A&R and Dymocks are a pile of pooh compared to Borders. Until the Borders store in Perth opened the state of bookshops here was dire. One of the only things I miss about the UK is decent bookshops.

If this happens, Amazon and The Book Depository are going to be getting more of my money.

Just found something:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...75-643,00.html
Well that is something. It will be a shame to lose Borders but at least it seems A&R lost out and so there will still be competition to them and Dymocks.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They're not exactly overrunning with stores unless you're in Vic or NSW are they? Bummer. Never mind, I'll have to keep on with the second hand bookshop we have. I'm just a bit slow getting to new books
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
They're not exactly overrunning with stores unless you're in Vic or NSW are they? Bummer. Never mind, I'll have to keep on with the second hand bookshop we have. I'm just a bit slow getting to new books
Bit of a trek for you, but the one at Chermside would be worth the effort

I hope its not true that A&R are taking over, waited long enough for a decent bookshop here, and while some of A&R's stock is good, they also have a horrendously high percentage of remainders (that's the piles of books sold off cheap, similar to newsagents). They aren't anywhere near the high standard of Borders
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Well don't miss out on the Bookfest at Brisbane Convention Centre - twice a year, Jan and June. They had 2 million books at the last one.

There's a smaller one on the Gold Coast - usually about Sep I think.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, went to the GC one
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:09 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Well don't miss out on the Bookfest at Brisbane Convention Centre - twice a year, Jan and June. They had 2 million books at the last one.

There's a smaller one on the Gold Coast - usually about Sep I think.
Thats the best sale ever. The Bloke despairs once I get in there I have to take him along so he can make trips back to the car when I fill the bags up
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

I take a set of suitcase wheels
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats the best sale ever. The Bloke despairs once I get in there I have to take him along so he can make trips back to the car when I fill the bags up
This is also done at the Perth convention centre twice a year and although there are some good titles and a whole heap of bargains, there is also a whole load of shite on sale too.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

This is also done at the Perth convention centre twice a year and although there are some good titles and a whole heap of bargains, there is also a whole load of shite on sale too.
Oh definitely. You have to take the time to search, but you can unearth some good stuff amongst the garbage. Lots of older novels that look like they have come across the world in a container........they are the really good books, but you have to dig among the remainer paperback rubble to find tham.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh definitely. You have to take the time to search, but you can unearth some good stuff amongst the garbage. Lots of older novels that look like they have come across the world in a container........they are the really good books, but you have to dig among the remainer paperback rubble to find tham.
If I was ever sentenced to life imprisonment in a London Waterstones can't say I'd be too gutted.

Jus as long as I'd get visits from family I'd be set for life.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If I was ever sentenced to life imprisonment in a London Waterstones can't say I'd be too gutted.

Jus as long as I'd get visits from family I'd be set for life.
THe big Waterstones and Foyles on Charing Cross Road are 2 of the best bookshops in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.