Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Booking holiday home, Sunshine Coast

Booking holiday home, Sunshine Coast

Old Jun 13th 2016, 11:43 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Booking holiday home, Sunshine Coast

For Easter 2017.

Any suggestions of good websites to use for browsing/booking, and decent locations (any to avoid?), etc.?

There are ten of us (though two of us are <6 yrs) and we need minimum of four bedrooms, preferably five. In NZ there are really just two websites for booking baches so it's all very easy and this is doing my spud in.

We don't have to be by the sea but near water/ with pool would be nice. Would consider GC if it was somewhere quiet (my mother is convinced it would be lunacy to go there over Easter and keeps going on about the M1 being impossible, etc.). I think my visiting sister would enjoy the GC and I have been wanting to explore the hinterland a bit for years. So either SC or GC would be fine, so long as we can avoid the crowds/ traffic. Two of the three family units plan to fly up from Sydney; my family plan to drive up (from Newcastle - my kids are all grown so can suck up the long car journey).

Advice would be most gratefully received. Here's some in return: never offer to be the one who organises a holiday for extended family
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booking holiday home, Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
For Easter 2017.

Any suggestions of good websites to use for browsing/booking, and decent locations (any to avoid?), etc.?

There are ten of us (though two of us are <6 yrs) and we need minimum of four bedrooms, preferably five. In NZ there are really just two websites for booking baches so it's all very easy and this is doing my spud in.

We don't have to be by the sea but near water/ with pool would be nice. Would consider GC if it was somewhere quiet (my mother is convinced it would be lunacy to go there over Easter and keeps going on about the M1 being impossible, etc.). I think my visiting sister would enjoy the GC and I have been wanting to explore the hinterland a bit for years. So either SC or GC would be fine, so long as we can avoid the crowds/ traffic. Two of the three family units plan to fly up from Sydney; my family plan to drive up (from Newcastle - my kids are all grown so can suck up the long car journey).

Advice would be most gratefully received. Here's some in return: never offer to be the one who organises a holiday for extended family

AirBnB would be a great start, and I have also used Booking.com as well- both allow you to filter for your requirements.

S
Old Jun 14th 2016, 12:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

As well as airbnb also look at http://www.stayz.com.au/
Old Jun 14th 2016, 1:36 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links - very helpful. Are you familiar with GC and SC? Is my mother right that the GC would be "hell over Easter" with logjam on the M1? Is Varsity Lakes a quiet enough area?

I think the problem might be finding somewhere that suits folk in their mid-60s and teens ....
Old Jun 14th 2016, 1:39 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links - very helpful. Are you familiar with GC and SC? Is my mother right that the GC would be "hell over Easter" with logjam on the M1? Is Varsity Lakes a quiet enough area?

I think the problem might be finding somewhere that suits folk in their mid-60s and teens ....

Personally, I'd say the GC would be hell at any time of year, but thousands of kids can only work to make it a lower level of hell.

S
Old Jun 14th 2016, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The GC tends to polarise people, love it or hate it. I like it myself, but I agree with your mother, it could indeed be hell over Easter.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 5:37 am
---

OK, thanks - will go for SC then If nothing else, because I can't be done with 7 days of her saying 'I told you so'!
Old Jun 14th 2016, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Is my mother right that the GC would be "hell over Easter" with logjam on the M1?
Hell any time.

Sunshine Coast all the way.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 6:05 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Beoz
Hell any time.

Sunshine Coast all the way.

Apart from Gympie. Never Gympie.

S
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never noticed the GC being hell over Easter. I don't live around Surfers/Broadbeach or the theme parks but life goes on as normal. Supermarkets get stupid on the Thursday but I'm fairly sure that happens the world over. The motorway is busy on the Thursday afternoon/Friday morning going south and then north Monday afternoon, apart from that someone needs to show me the hell

Apart from anything else why would the Sunshine Coast be any different? People from Brissie go North as often as they go South, it's a holiday. Call me confused.

However wtf do I know, I've only lived here 10+ years. Some of you are obviously way more knowledgeable.
Old Jun 14th 2016, 11:02 pm
---

Well, it's all academic now as we are now going to Byron Bay.

At least we can do theme parks from BB so the older teens (and husband) will be happy.

Used the Stayz site - thanks all.

moneypenny: I kept looking at the map and saying, "but the GC is massive, right? It can't all be busy". I have a fanciful notion to visit Tamborine Mountain and if it has been all up to me we would have stayed in a retreat up there
Old Jun 15th 2016, 1:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's all academic now as we are now going to Byron Bay.
LOL...you were worried about traffic and now you're going to Byron Bay at a peak time! That road in and out of Byron town towards the north IS horrendous at holiday time!
Old Jun 15th 2016, 4:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Whatever goes down. You have the most lovely family holiday BB.
Old Jun 15th 2016, 11:29 pm
---

Originally Posted by bcworld
LOL...you were worried about traffic and now you're going to Byron Bay at a peak time! That road in and out of Byron town towards the north IS horrendous at holiday time!
No, my mother was. And as she is in her 60s then she is allowed to be contrary

Originally Posted by BEVS
Whatever goes down. You have the most lovely family holiday BB.
Thanks BEVS I have both sisters and their families coming over in the next 9 months: exciting!