Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights/Holidays for April/May - by when do you advise doing this?

Wikiposts

Booking Flights/Holidays for April/May - by when do you advise doing this?

Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:07 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all
Default Booking Flights/Holidays for April/May - by when do you advise doing this?

Happy Xmas/New Year All!
I've seen several threads on flights recently and this has got me fretting.
We need to validate our visas by 5th May and have not yet decided whether to move permanently by this date or just take a holiday. (Our house is sold but we're nervous about moving without any job leads as I'm 40, we're not financially blessed, I've got a good job, and the kids are doing well at school, music etc., and we've never been to Oz).
If holidaying, two to three weeks centred around Easter would be best for the kids (my eldest daughter is taking her final primary school Sats in May).
If moving permanently, leaving it as late as possible would suit best.
We haven't decided on destination, but would like to visit Perth, Melbourne and Sydney if holidaying and if moving permanently go to either Perth or Melbourne (Perth is most appealing but jobs look less favourable).
Another complication - there are seven of us (kids 11, 10, 8, 6, 3).
This generally means when holidaying we need self catering accomodation (to avoid the expense of two hotel rooms) and a people carrier.
Any advice on deadlines for flight booking, how to keep the options open as long as possible, what sort of tickets to book (single, return, open-ended return), accommodation or car rental and anything else relevant (other than getting the snip!) would be gratefully received.
Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Booking Flights/Holidays for April/May - by when do you advise doing this?

I think that I'm right in saying that April/May is approaching the low season for hitting the southern hemisphere, so I would be quite relaxed about booking up either the flights or accomodation.

Neil
Old Dec 30th 2004, 8:53 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all
Default Re: Booking Flights/Holidays for April/May - by when do you advise doing this?

Sounds good - time for some more research.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 8:21 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bal56
Happy Xmas/New Year All!
I've seen several threads on flights recently and this has got me fretting.
We need to validate our visas by 5th May and have not yet decided whether to move permanently by this date or just take a holiday. (Our house is sold but we're nervous about moving without any job leads as I'm 40, we're not financially blessed, I've got a good job, and the kids are doing well at school, music etc., and we've never been to Oz).
If holidaying, two to three weeks centred around Easter would be best for the kids (my eldest daughter is taking her final primary school Sats in May).
If moving permanently, leaving it as late as possible would suit best.
We haven't decided on destination, but would like to visit Perth, Melbourne and Sydney if holidaying and if moving permanently go to either Perth or Melbourne (Perth is most appealing but jobs look less favourable).
Another complication - there are seven of us (kids 11, 10, 8, 6, 3).
This generally means when holidaying we need self catering accomodation (to avoid the expense of two hotel rooms) and a people carrier.
Any advice on deadlines for flight booking, how to keep the options open as long as possible, what sort of tickets to book (single, return, open-ended return), accommodation or car rental and anything else relevant (other than getting the snip!) would be gratefully received.
Thanks for any help.

May I suggest that as that is the time of Easter and school holidays here you book very early to avoid finding out at the last minute that especially accomodation maybe unavailable or difficult to find for your situation. It would also while you are at it to book flights and hire vehicles as even though it is the "low season", the type of vehicle you require may not be available at your destination unless you request it early.

Even when flying internally, we always book early especially flights to make sure you are able to get the one you want at the cheapest price and not what is left. We went to Melbourne in March last year and left accomodation booking until later than normal, and had to settle for a place that was further out than would have been desirable.

As you say you are now fretting so don't delay and get rid of one less hassle.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 12:05 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
May I suggest that as that is the time of Easter and school holidays here you book very early to avoid finding out at the last minute that especially accomodation maybe unavailable or difficult to find for your situation. It would also while you are at it to book flights and hire vehicles as even though it is the "low season", the type of vehicle you require may not be available at your destination unless you request it early.

Even when flying internally, we always book early especially flights to make sure you are able to get the one you want at the cheapest price and not what is left. We went to Melbourne in March last year and left accomodation booking until later than normal, and had to settle for a place that was further out than would have been desirable.

As you say you are now fretting so don't delay and get rid of one less hassle.
I totally agree.

If you have a fairly specific agenda/book your flight as early as possible. The longer you leave it, the less choice and flexibility you'll have, andf the more expensive it will be.

Good luck!
Old Jan 1st 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

I thought Good Friday this year was on 25 March. So while I agree early April might be a bit a problem -mid April onwards probably is not. I do agree though that if you want a specific flight book early to avoid disappointment.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

gasmark is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Try www.airline-network.co.uk Hard to beat on price.

Cheers,

gasmark
Old Jan 2nd 2005, 8:33 pm
Alive and boinging!

Thanks again guys. It may well be a permanent move straight off ... the problem is that me and the missus disagree on destination .. she favours Perth for quality of life ... I favour Melbourne as most jobs that match my experience seem to be there. I don't really fancy several months without work burning savings supporting a large family........