Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car insurance in Queensland

Car insurance in Queensland

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance in Queensland

Can anyone tell me........what the insurance costs arelike and what is available....can you drive on the insurance that comes with the registration.....it is a bit confusing??????
amanda
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:00 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Car insurance in Queensland

Originally Posted by mand8002
Can anyone tell me........what the insurance costs arelike and what is available....can you drive on the insurance that comes with the registration.....it is a bit confusing??????
amanda
We pay $375 (Suzuki Swift) and $392 (Daewoo Nubira) for our cars, for fully comp cover with AAMI, including protected NCD. You can get an online quote from http://www.aami.com.au

The third party cover that comes with the car rego (Road Fund Licence) is included in our total rego costs of $582 per car. About $350 of that is the CTP cover. You are able to drive on that cover, but don't have any accidents that involve other cars or property!

CAR INSURANCE
* Compulsory Third Party (CTP, Greenslip) is a compulsory insurance to cover Injury to Third Parties, that must be taken out when registering a motor vehicle. It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury and NOT damage to other property cars etc.

* Comprehensive Insurance is an optional insurance cover that covers damage to your car, and/or other vehicles or property that may be damaged in an accident.

Many Insurers will accept your word that you have proof of No Claims Discount from the UK, but in the event of an accident, it is highly likely that they will want to see the proof prior to paying out the claim. My advise is to send a copy of it to the Insurer, so they have it on file.

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

MarkandJulie will become famous soon enoughMarkandJulie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Car insurance in Queensland

We insured our car with AAMI but they wouldn't accept my word as proof of our no-claims bonus. I had to contact Direct Line in the UK and get them to send me a letter confirming my insurance history. Had to pay full price that AAMI had quoted and then claim refund when Direct Line letter came through. Sorted it out pretty easily. Went from rating 7 to rating 1 as soon as letter arrived.

Originally Posted by mand8002
amanda