Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bondi Beach May ban Smoking

Bondi Beach May ban Smoking

Old May 18th 2004, 7:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bondi Beach May ban Smoking

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...783503854.html

Manly has now done the right thing so here is me hopeing Bondi will follow suit. Too many scummy smokers leaving their butts in the sand.
Old May 18th 2004, 7:43 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bondi Beach May ban Smoking

Originally posted by bondipom

Manly has now done the right thing so here is me hopeing Bondi will follow suit. Too many scummy smokers leaving their butts in the sand.
Competes with the toilet flushes?

Just kidding...
Old May 18th 2004, 7:54 am

Originally posted by Ulujain
Competes with the toilet flushes?

Just kidding...
da Bondi Cigars.
Old May 18th 2004, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom

Interesting article -I had no idea it took 12 yrs for a ciggie butt to decompose!
How do they stop people smoking on a beach? Do they have non smoking police? Great idea though - it really used to annoy me in Asia when we found a beautiful beach and people would start smoking near us- kinda spoils the unpolluted atmosphere.
Old May 18th 2004, 8:36 am

Originally posted by helinuk
Interesting article -I had no idea it took 12 yrs for a ciggie butt to decompose!
How do they stop people smoking on a beach? Do they have non smoking police? Great idea though - it really used to annoy me in Asia when we found a beautiful beach and people would start smoking near us- kinda spoils the unpolluted atmosphere.
There are council rangers and the police sometimes wander up and down. Drinking is banned but only the rowdy are ever moved on. People disposing their cigarettes anywhere other than a bin piss me off as the butts end up getting washed down storm water drains and into the harbour/ocean anyway. The other danger is smouldering butts (fnaar fnaar) being chucked out of cars and igniting bush fires. I think that is far more common than arsonists.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

oh dont get me started on this subject! The state of some of the beaches is terrible for fag butts....St Kilda beach was also very bad....that and dog sh1t.

I found it really sad that people travel to beautiful places and drop fag butts everywhere. Whitehaven Beach at the Whitsundays was another....why go to such a place of beauty and destroy it? And of course I've had my rant on here about the father who flicked his lit fag butt into the crocodile pen at a wildlife park with his 3 small children alongside.

76% of all litter in Melbourne is cigarette litter. Like you say, butts end up in the stormwater drains which then empty into the waterways. They have found butts in the stomachs of marine life in Port Phillip Bay.

A lot of people will blame backpackers and youths in general but I used to walk through the CBD in Melbourne and watch professional adults, smart business atire, flick butts onto the floor. Used to drive me mad!

I'm pleased to read that Manly & Bondi have taken these steps. Late last year a new law was introduced which ordered all outdoor seating in bars/restaurants to have covered ashtrays on the tables - not sure if that was federal or Vic state but it was a great move.