Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boat fishing and work?

Boat fishing and work?

Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Boat fishing and work?

Im hoping to relocate to the east coast of oz sometime around the new year, but the thing is I want to live between Brisbane and Caines and own my own charter boat, plus carry on working as a plumber(sprinkler fitter) hopefully only short term. So far for convience of being near possible work and owning a charter boat, I can only find Bribie Island which is probably just commutable to Brisbane.
So does anyone have any other location's along that part of the coast they think that I could still carry out both and if so where? as I'm planning to visit again in september to look for somewhere to live for me and my family. My wife would like to be near a shopping centre if poss, plus I have 4 kids that are still at school.
Cheers for any help Ron
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Boat fishing and work?

sounds like a nice dream you have, hope it all goes well.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:33 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocket01
My wife would like to be near a shopping centre if poss,
dont mean to be flippant, but in aus theres a shopping centre every couple of km
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rocket01
Im hoping to relocate to the east coast of oz sometime around the new year, but the thing is I want to live between Brisbane and Caines and own my own charter boat, plus carry on working as a plumber(sprinkler fitter) hopefully only short term. So far for convience of being near possible work and owning a charter boat, I can only find Bribie Island which is probably just commutable to Brisbane.
So does anyone have any other location's along that part of the coast they think that I could still carry out both and if so where? as I'm planning to visit again in september to look for somewhere to live for me and my family. My wife would like to be near a shopping centre if poss, plus I have 4 kids that are still at school.
Cheers for any help Ron

im quite close to bribie at the moment
im also looking to buy or share a boat so i have been down to the harbour recently it very well run but be aware that the peek time traffic from brissy cbd and bribie is very bad you are looking about 2 hours on a good day
some real nice houses around there saw one yesterday 5 beds quite new on 2 acre in nice estate for 505k dollars plenty of mossies in the area though
keep in touch as i visit more marinas i will let you know what they are like
also some licenses required and some training to own a boat of any type

if you have got a few bob there are houses with your own jetty and moorings at scarbough close the north lakes estate (better for commuting to brissy)
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Just a question in my mind.

I would think that you would need quite a few years to get to know the area well enough to operate a charter boat.

It is difficult to get people to come back if they didn't catch anything the first time.
(unless it is a massage parlour)
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 9:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mipik
Just a question in my mind.

I would think that you would need quite a few years to get to know the area well enough to operate a charter boat.

It is difficult to get people to come back if they didn't catch anything the first time.
(unless it is a massage parlour)
I've been here 4 yrs, owned a boat for three of them, prior to that I lived on one at the marina in Tin Can Bay. I'm out most weekends fishing and even with a few yrs local knowledge I still don't drop on fish like the pro boats do. There's a few charter boat skippers in my area most have, as you say, a lifetimes fishing experience. Many are ex trawler skippers well versed in what the ocean can throw at them, I often drink with a couple of them and they tell tales like only fishermen can.
I think the OP would be better buying into a charter boat and paying a skipper who has that necessary experience. He could then do the deckie's work while working towards his "Masters ticket" The weekend boaties licence is not sufficient to run a commercial charter boat venture.
It's a good living when the weathers good, I did a few trips when I first arrived and the look on the punters faces as they haul up a few big Reds or Pearlies is just so rewarding. Just lately it's been blowing so strong the charter boats have been tied up for weeks on end, still paying licences and insurance etc. with no cash coming in is a position I'm not comfortable with.
Good luck to the OP here's a few links to some info on Masters tickets etc. It can be done, you can live your dream, you just need to put in the hard graft.

http://www.widebay.tafe.qld.gov.au/r...er_class_5.pdf

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/16159.html

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/16214.html

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Licensing/