Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Boat Dealers in Sydney - Any Recommendations

Boat Dealers in Sydney - Any Recommendations

Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Boat Dealers in Sydney - Any Recommendations

We'll I'm doing my boat test in a couple of weeks and will then be looking to buy a small'ish tinny, trailer and motor. I'm thinking of buying new and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on dealers...especially in the south Sydney area?

Or anything to watch out for/make sure they include etc?

Hope it wont be like some of the car dealer stories that I read on here !
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boat Dealers in Sydney - Any Recommendations

So will my dream to follow in my Great, Great, Great, Great Great, Grandad's foot steps and be a real Captain Cook (since my name is Roger Cook), not come true
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
We'll I'm doing my boat test in a couple of weeks and will then be looking to buy a small'ish tinny, trailer and motor. I'm thinking of buying new and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on dealers...especially in the south Sydney area?

Or anything to watch out for/make sure they include etc?

Hope it wont be like some of the car dealer stories that I read on here !
Go to Sydney International Boat Show at Darling Harbour at end of month. There will be dozens of dealers there. I had a 4.1m Polycraft boat for a few months. Made of plastic, unsinkable and a lot better ride than most tinnies. Get registration for boat and trailer included, and make damn sure the motor is properly bolted through the transom. Also all safety gear should be included in the price, and the correct electrical connection from trailer to car. Take it out for a test run if possible. Don't take the first price you get, all dealers , especially at a boat shows will negotiate downwards. Play 1 off against the other. 20% off at least should be achievable in the current climate. Get a 4 stroke instead of 2 stroke engine, more expensive to buy, but much more fuel efficient and a lot quieter to run. Get a warranty for both boat and engine.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Go to Sydney International Boat Show at Darling Harbour at end of month. There will be dozens of dealers there. I had a 4.1m Polycraft boat for a few months. Made of plastic, unsinkable and a lot better ride than most tinnies. Get registration for boat and trailer included, and make damn sure the motor is properly bolted through the transom. Also all safety gear should be included in the price, and the correct electrical connection from trailer to car. Take it out for a test run if possible. Don't take the first price you get, all dealers , especially at a boat shows will negotiate downwards. Play 1 off against the other. 20% off at least should be achievable in the current climate. Get a 4 stroke instead of 2 stroke engine, more expensive to buy, but much more fuel efficient and a lot quieter to run. Get a warranty for both boat and engine.
Thanks great help...boat show sounds good and just after I get my licence (I hope)
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I had a 4.1m Polycraft boat for a few months . . . and make damn sure the motor is properly bolted through the transom.
Are the two connected?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:49 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Are the two connected?
Not any more by the sounds of it!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Not any more by the sounds of it!
I got the same impression.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Made of plastic, unsinkable .... and make damn sure the motor is properly bolted through the transom.... Get a warranty for both boat and engine.
Yes, I can also read in to these comments!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Yes, I can also read in to these comments!
Wrong, but only just. The old engine the dealer put on for a weekend, as the new one was not in stock, almost ended up on the bottom of a creek. It wasn't even tightened onto the transom. Put if back on then proceeded to really pump some sand and mud through the bitch.
Boat was sold only because it was too expensive to ship from Darwin to Sydney, after already paying $1700 getting it to Darwin from Townsville. Bloody good boat though for $10,000 with 40hp engine.