Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blind as a bat - will i pass medical do you think?

Wikiposts

Blind as a bat - will i pass medical do you think?

Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Default Blind as a bat - will i pass medical do you think?

I was wondering, when you have the medicals does it matter that I can't even see the board never mind read the letters out without glasses/contacts? Im very short sighted and live in my contacts (-7.5 diopter) but when i take them out i have to hold things up to my nose to see them clearly!

Has anyone with eyesight like mine, or worse, passed their medical ok???
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:11 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Blind as a bat - will i pass medical do you think?

Originally Posted by zenamethyst
I was wondering, when you have the medicals does it matter that I can't even see the board never mind read the letters out without glasses/contacts? Im very short sighted and live in my contacts (-7.5 diopter) but when i take them out i have to hold things up to my nose to see them clearly!

Hi zenamethyst,
My eyes are not brilliant either. I think I did the eye test with my glasses on and off. I took a copy of my prescription with me just in case. Luckily I did as he included it with my meds, I think he was quite new to immigration meds as he went a bit OTT. When I asked why that information wasn't included in the pack that was sent to me, he didn't seem to know. He also informed me that if I'd been wearing lenses I would have needed to take them out. This was not in the info pack either.
My advice would be to wear glasses and not lenses and get hold of a copy of your prescription. It may not be necessary but will prevent any hold ups if it is needed. Hope this helps.
Sarah
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you fill in the medical correctly would be good firstly

When we had our medicals, i didn't have to take my glasses off. Not really a big issue I wouldn't have thought. Can you read the letters ok with them.

Cheers Jo
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future

I can see fine with my contacts but not so good with glasses - even tho its the same prescription!!??!! My glasses are like jam jar bottom lenses and are only ever worn once a fortnight to give my eyes a rest from the lenses or in emergencies! Will take my daily contacts I think - and my white stick for when they are out lol!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

I can see fine with my contacts but not so good with glasses - even tho its the same prescription!!??!! My glasses are like jam jar bottom lenses and are only ever worn once a fortnight to give my eyes a rest from the lenses or in emergencies! Will take my daily contacts I think - and my white stick for when they are out lol!
I think you'll be fine. I'm 28 with the hearing of an 80 year old (thats what the NHS nurse said to me when i went for a hearing aid) and i passed. Doctor put down that it was ireversable and that i would not need medical attention.

Doctor was very clever tho and notices i was deaf by tricking me. I didn't put it down on my form because i take it for granted that i'm deaf. If you put your siituation on the form then you'll be fine

I've known people with cancer pass the medicals! .....no i really have!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Try not to worry, I passed with -5.5 and - 6.0 eyesight and owned up to not being able to even make out the first letter on the board.
Good luck,
Sam.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Theresa, Ian & Tim is on a distinguished road

My husband lives in his contact lenses he told the doctor he had his contacts in no problem at all, kept his contacts in and just had to read the letters on the card. The doctor didn't have a problem at all and his sight is really quite bad don't worry.

Theresa
Old Mar 4th 2005, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

lol - I've also got a hearing problem!! I spoke to an agent and gave her my medical history (several volumes) and she said as long as I haven't got aids I'll pass the medical. My husband said if I was a car I'd fail my MOT and be taken to the scrapyard as the only part of me that's never had an operation or a major problem is my thighs lol (not counting the varicose vein I've just had taken out!)!!!