Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

blimey, sussed it at last.

blimey, sussed it at last.

Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up blimey, sussed it at last.

Hello all, first posting here, took a while to sus it out!, have been looking at this site for nearly a year, it has given us some very useful infomation. we were ,are still looking at emigrating to aus, last year we discussed it and have been ever since. My wife is a paediatric nurse so no probs with the points bit, 2 states, queensland and victoria have both offered sponsership, but we keep blowing hot and cold on the idea, i expect everyone goes through this, my wife was all eager to start process 6 months ago, then after a visit from mum and gran started saying she didn't think she could live so far from family, they are in north wales, we are in essex, so it's not round the corner anyway, i'm not to bothered on the family front. As long as at the end of the day we had a simular standard of living i'ld be happy. i am a lorry driver and we have a 4 year old daughter, friends of ours emigrated 3 years ago, live in manly N.S.W. they absoulutly love it, havn't said a bad word since going. we will be going to aus next march for a month for a good probe and to gleen more info, will be visiting sydney, melboune, adelaide and brisbane, maybe after this the discision will be a little easier, or harder. Went to perth 11 years ago, beatiful, adored it, have seen some bad press about perth on here, seemed great 11 years ago, thou' there was a rape across from were we stayed in wembley. nice to get this off my chest and great to here all the good and bad stories on here. speak again soon, off for a ruby now!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: blimey, sussed it at last.

Originally posted by carryon
Hello all, first posting here, took a while to sus it out!, have been looking at this site for nearly a year, it has given us some very useful infomation. we were ,are still looking at emigrating to aus, last year we discussed it and have been ever since. My wife is a paediatric nurse so no probs with the points bit, 2 states, queensland and victoria have both offered sponsership, but we keep blowing hot and cold on the idea, i expect everyone goes through this, my wife was all eager to start process 6 months ago, then after a visit from mum and gran started saying she didn't think she could live so far from family, they are in north wales, we are in essex, so it's not round the corner anyway, i'm not to bothered on the family front. As long as at the end of the day we had a simular standard of living i'ld be happy. i am a lorry driver and we have a 4 year old daughter, friends of ours emigrated 3 years ago, live in manly N.S.W. they absoulutly love it, havn't said a bad word since going. we will be going to aus next march for a month for a good probe and to gleen more info, will be visiting sydney, melboune, adelaide and brisbane, maybe after this the discision will be a little easier, or harder. Went to perth 11 years ago, beatiful, adored it, have seen some bad press about perth on here, seemed great 11 years ago, thou' there was a rape across from were we stayed in wembley. nice to get this off my chest and great to here all the good and bad stories on here. speak again soon, off for a ruby now!

Welcome to the MADHOUSE! best of luck with your decision
rach, mark and chanelle
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum
Good luck with whatever u decide
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that, most of our friends are sick of me talking about australia, now i have an outlet, yipee!!!! regards, simon, haf{its a welsh name} and cerys.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that, most of our friends are sick of me talking about australia, now i have an outlet, yipee!!!! regards, simon, haf{its a welsh name} and cerys.
hehe i know exactly what you mean, i think my family and friends will be glad to see me go...will give there ears a rest that's for sure

Claire
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:11 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Welcome and good luck!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:42 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

If you're in Essex, why not come and meet some of us.

Essex Meet

Steve
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:15 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello welcome to the forum
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and welcome to the site...

I'm fairly new and have picked up so much...useful and not so useful!! They're a friendly bunch really!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 9:37 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Except for the flaming, and the insults, and the bitterness, and the out and out fighting on occasion.

Old Nov 21st 2003, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Well yes, i quite like some of the slagging off and snipping, couple of serious matters, one of the main reasons for considering emigrating is that we are sitting on 120,000 worth of equity, but if we stay here we cant do anything with it, unless we moved to some northern remote town{ no offence}. to any of you who are in process or considering is this a factor, plus this time of year is so dull and dismal. we have done a list of all the places and suburbs we want to investigate next year, so it wont just be a holiday. couple of weeks ago my wife was offered a paediatric post in alice springs, they even said they would pay air fairs and lay on accomadation, but alice springs, not to sure about that. we have a comfortable life here, but sometimes feel the need for something more, just finished a supurb curry, one thing that would be missed, as has been mentioned on here before. we had a curry in perth, it was crap, surly it has improved over the years. my wife insists that wherever we may go there must be a half descent indian. god if only that were the only consideration....going for another beer........simon
Old Nov 21st 2003, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Welcome to the site!!

It is a good idea to go on a reccie trip first at least you will get a chance to see if any of the areas will suit you.

At least you wont have to wait too long for the visa with Nurses being fast-tracked.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 6:11 am
Goodpubmisser

In Australia there are very few if any lorry drivers - you might have to get used to driving trucks.

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes, i quite like some of the slagging off and snipping, couple of serious matters, one of the main reasons for considering emigrating is that we are sitting on 120,000 worth of equity, but if we stay here we cant do anything with it, unless we moved to some northern remote town{ no offence}. to any of you who are in process or considering is this a factor, plus this time of year is so dull and dismal. we have done a list of all the places and suburbs we want to investigate next year, so it wont just be a holiday. couple of weeks ago my wife was offered a paediatric post in alice springs, they even said they would pay air fairs and lay on accomadation, but alice springs, not to sure about that. we have a comfortable life here, but sometimes feel the need for something more, just finished a supurb curry, one thing that would be missed, as has been mentioned on here before. we had a curry in perth, it was crap, surly it has improved over the years. my wife insists that wherever we may go there must be a half descent indian. god if only that were the only consideration....going for another beer........simon
I think it goes without saying that you will need to choose your location carefully in order to get the best from your equity. The average house price in Melbourne is currently $368k (this is out to a radius of about 40km from the CBD). However, somewhere like Alice Springs you could get a huge property with acreage and a pool for that price!! (But if a 'northern remote town' in the Uk doesn't suit, I'm not sure Alice would either!! )

Do you know what suburbs are you considering in Melbourne? (I posted a link recently to median house prices by suburb.)

What are you looking for in terms of lifestyle? (Do you want beach, lots to do, countryside, city, rural?)

Good luck with what you decide.
HP
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: blimey, sussed it at last.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We were all set to sell up and go having obtained our PR visas in just 4 weeks( I too am a nurse)

Having had several misgivings ,we have now decided to do a 6 week recce commencing beginning March,I am hoping that this will make our minds up

Once the visas are validated we have up until 2008 to decide.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Diane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.