Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Blimey.... not always 20 years behind!!!!

Blimey.... not always 20 years behind!!!!

Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:14 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Blimey.... not always 20 years behind!!!!

How refreshing a nice positve thread

PJ
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:23 am
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point

I think most Aussies are really helpful. I went into a shop the other day...along with two kiddies, one in a pushchair...you get the scene?

I decided to buy a garden pergola, you know the cream canvas ones that go up like a brolly but you can peg them down? Well, it was on sale at $99, couldn't resist a bargain.

I tipped the little'un out of her buggy (don't panic, she can walk!) put the pergola into the buggy, veered my way through the slalem course of shop displays and when I got to the checkout the assistant said "can I help?" I thanked her and accepted gratefully...she buggered off into the precinct and returned a minute later with a shopping trolley for me!! Now how helpful was that eh? No worries!!

Can you really imagine one of those not so smiley assistants at B&Q doing that?
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:08 am
ABCDiamond

After reading all this I can't resist mentioning my local fruit & veg shop. They have someone to pack your purchases and then offer to carry it to your car for you. And this actually does happen 50% of the time.
They also send weekly emails out with all their special offers on, (lettuce is 96c)

Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:11 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Thanx for tip-off Hevs

I must remember to put the war paint and bra on then :scared:

Don't think they photograph your tits.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
Another thing I love about the libraries here - NO FINES!! If you bring your books back a few days late they don't charge you. When I enrolled the girl was telling me the system so I asked about fines, she said ' as long as they are not too late we don't worry about it'

Great for me as I often forget!!
'Tis great for you, but what about other people that may want to borrow the book(s)?
Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:16 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Bordy
Nah but everything needs to be pert and in proportion

Good job anyways....they wouldn't get them on the card

Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:26 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Nah but everything needs to be pert and in proportion

Good job anyways....they wouldn't get them on the card

Just as well. I'm sure you would have every copper stopping you & saying can I see your License maam.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:31 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

They don't? Oh well, I'm not going to bother getting a license, then

Anya.
Old Sep 10th 2004, 12:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaj
Another thing I love about the libraries here - NO FINES!! If you bring your books back a few days late they don't charge you. When I enrolled the girl was telling me the system so I asked about fines, she said ' as long as they are not too late we don't worry about it'

Great for me as I often forget!!
OOh Tina! As a fully qualified librarian, I shall put on my bun and glasses and frown at you severely...... mind you, I have to admit that when I was packing to come over here I seem to have several books with the name of my old school library inside....and I was in charge there!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 1:21 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Just as well. I'm sure you would have every copper stopping you & saying can I see your License maam.
LOL

Brings new meaning to "let me see your particulars madam"

Old Sep 10th 2004, 1:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holte end
I think most Aussies are really helpful. I went into a shop the other day...along with two kiddies, one in a pushchair...you get the scene?

I decided to buy a garden pergola, you know the cream canvas ones that go up like a brolly but you can peg them down? Well, it was on sale at $99, couldn't resist a bargain.

I tipped the little'un out of her buggy (don't panic, she can walk!) put the pergola into the buggy, veered my way through the slalem course of shop displays and when I got to the checkout the assistant said "can I help?" I thanked her and accepted gratefully...she buggered off into the precinct and returned a minute later with a shopping trolley for me!! Now how helpful was that eh? No worries!!

Can you really imagine one of those not so smiley assistants at B&Q doing that?
Yup, they loaded 8 big bags of chipbark into the back of the car for my wife last week (they offered to do it without being asked).
Old Sep 10th 2004, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

And theres more.....

I have to go and buy horse feed and although I can get it in my car, they always offer to deliver it at no extra charge.
Used to have to pay a fiver extra in the UK.

Whisky