Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bitten by a 'Jumping Jack Ant'

Bitten by a 'Jumping Jack Ant'

Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:10 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bitten by a 'Jumping Jack Ant'

Originally Posted by Ceri

If you get stung by Wasps - use an acid, vinegar, it's the opposite to ants. It will take the stinging/pain out

I remember this advice from the UK; for Vasps (i.e. wasps) use Vinegar and for Bees use Bicarb.

But don't ants inject formic acid???
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:23 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jayr
I remember this advice from the UK; for Vasps (i.e. wasps) use Vinegar and for Bees use Bicarb.

But don't ants inject formic acid???

Ant stings are acidic, and to counter this you use an alkaline. It does work.I'm always getting stung by the b*ggers

the bees/wasps here in Aus use vinegar. It works, believe me. Just a couple of weeks go, my hubby disturbed a wasp nest while mowing the grass at the side of the house - he didn't see the comb above him and banged it with his head - well lots of angry wasps, he got stung about 15 times all around the face and head - funny thing though he was running down the garden trying to escape them ( and not run into the house like any sensible person would do lol) - if he had been allergic to them -- he would have been in real trouble - so I came to the rescue, after he'd been stung how many times and tipped a bottle of vinegar over his face and head to get rid of the pain , I was ready to take him to hospital and was watching him for ages after just in case - inbeteen my laughing - I enjoyed that LOL !!!!- it took the sting out of it, it does do that. Lucky he is not allegric to them - or it would have been a serious matter

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 17th 2005 at 5:28 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hope shes ok Badge. Ring her and get her to take up ceri's advice, the acid / alkaline thing sounds about right to me
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:28 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
Ant stings are acidic, and to counter this you use an alkaline. It does work.I'm always getting stung by the b*ggers

I misread your earlier post; agree alkaline like soap or bicarb would do the trick with ants - though I never think of that when I get stung - usually just grimace and be brave (though perhaps not with multiple head stings!)
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:57 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Bitten by a 'Jumping Jack Ant'

Originally Posted by jayr
I misread your earlier post; agree alkaline like soap or bicarb would do the trick with ants - though I never think of that when I get stung - usually just grimace and be brave (though perhaps not with multiple head stings!)
The thing to remember with bull ants is when you see one, ignore it until you are sure you can kill it with one blow. If you annoy it or just wound it, it will signal its mates somehow(they must have mobiles :scared: ) and you will have them all over you

Alcohol is the only antidote, applied in moderation