Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bit of help please with WA ??

Bit of help please with WA ??

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Lucie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bit of help please with WA ??

Have finally talked my husband in to seriously considering emigrating. Yayyyy !!!

Got loads of questions going round in my head, so any help I be really grateful.

I'm a nurse been qualified 5 years, and my husband is a fireman. I'm looking at a pr visa, due to my husband only being able to apply for the fire brigade as a pr resident. The biggest holdback keeping us in the uk is my husband does not want to give up his job. Does anyone know how hard it is to get into the fire service in Australia.??

The area we are looking into is around Perth, one of the areas being Secret Harbour. We are a young family, so any advice on the area would be great.

Also, I'm confused about whether or not I need to do an ielts test ?
Would anyone know if I would get taken on with my experience, roughly what wage I would be looking at ?

Last of all sorry does anyone know of any uk interviews coming up ? So I could take my husband to find out a bit more info for him.

Thanks in advance , for any advice.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:18 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of help please with WA ??

Originally Posted by Lucie1
Have finally talked my husband in to seriously considering emigrating. Yayyyy !!!

Got loads of questions going round in my head, so any help I be really grateful.

I'm a nurse been qualified 5 years, and my husband is a fireman. I'm looking at a pr visa, due to my husband only being able to apply for the fire brigade as a pr resident. The biggest holdback keeping us in the uk is my husband does not want to give up his job. Does anyone know how hard it is to get into the fire service in Australia.??

The area we are looking into is around Perth, one of the areas being Secret Harbour. We are a young family, so any advice on the area would be great.

Would anyone know if I would get taken on with my experience, roughly what wage I would be looking at ?

Last of all sorry does anyone know of any uk interviews coming up ? So I could take my husband to find out a bit more info for him.

WA Fire http://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/contactus/Pages/default.aspx

WA Nursing http://www.nursing.health.wa.gov.au/home/
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Very difficult to get into the Fire Services over here - several people have looked into it in the past - they have no shortage of applications from people already here, which is why they don't need to sponsor. Generally he would have to apply with everyone else and take his chances working up from the base grades again.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 3:14 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I knew a fireman that moved over, he's now in the police force couldn't get back into the brigade. Doesn't mean that'd be the case for everyone though.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks all.
Hi kelly, ats interesting as the only job he would leave the fire service for is the police force. Do you know if you have to be a pr, to be able to apply ?
Also, how hard is it to get into the police force ?

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2013, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

We lived in Secret Harbour for 10 months. Loved it, it is a beautiful place with a good community and great surf beaches.
Had to move for work and we miss it there.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.
Hi kelly, ats interesting as the only job he would leave the fire service for is the police force. Do you know if you have to be a pr, to be able to apply ?
Also, how hard is it to get into the police force ?

Thanks
Yes you have to have PR for the police in W.A. but as the police have quite a high turn over of staff and are nearly always recruiting, I'd say it's less competitive than the fire service.
That said, I don't think the UK fire service is any less competitive, so if your husband was successful there, no reason to think he wouldn't get in over here.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks Geordie,

Our only hold back here in the uk is his job. If could have a job offer it would be fabulous of knew he wouldnt be out of work long over there.

Does anyone know of any job fairs or anything like that coming up it he uk, that I can drag him off to, to try and give him some more insight.

Thanks lucie