Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bit down in down under

bit down in down under

Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:46 am
Just Joined

peterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to all
Default bit down in down under

hi folks,i havnt posted since feb this year just before we flew out,and im afraid i hate to do this but weve hit the 6 month wall,lads results in school getting worse rather than better after a great start and weve all had the big arguement "i hate it here its crap i wanna go home"im gutted ive actually snook a look at flights tonight,were all working soo hard to settle i think weve took our eye off what really matters,i was promised good dollars for being a carpenter/joiner but you need a liscence and you cant get it that easy so im stuck in a workshop getting $20 an hour!!!!!!!!!!! until i can sort a better job,i really dont want to moan and ive made a point of not doing so to anyone here but im a long way from home and needed an outlet,is it gonna get easier ????
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: bit down in down under

oh dear!sorry i cant help just waiting to go..im sure others on this forum will let you know that ,that can be expected 6 months realy is no time at all.im sure it cant be easy especially with kids but if it helps a friend of mine came home after 6 months(kids hated oz) and now she says its the biggest mistake she made!!and the kids now wish they had stayed..
im sure things will get better with time
sending lotsa hugs,chin up it will all work out just give it some more time x
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

peterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to allpeterpamandryan is a name known to all

thanks for that ,going back downstairs now for a big family hug and talk tactics !! dont want to go back
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:02 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peterpamandryan
thanks for that ,going back downstairs now for a big family hug and talk tactics !! dont want to go back
mate its early days yet...try and all take a step back and chill...dont try so hard things will work out. It took us almost a year to really get settled and we struggled financially too in the beginning. But 3 years on we look back now and realise what we now have and its fab.....give it a bit longer....she'll be right mate

Take care
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

samrad is an unknown quantity at this point

Try and work out what issues are specifically problems related to being in OZ and which you could well have had back in the UK.

If it's low pay, well, you could have had to take a low paid job in the UK

If it's the kids results, that may have happened here too

A lot of it is to do with attitude, if you can convince yourself that you're not "a long way from home" and get those around you to stop saying "i wanna go home" and decide that Australia *is* your home you will be able to move forward more easily.

Best wishes anyway - you've come so far!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:12 pm
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

hi folks,i havnt posted since feb this year just before we flew out,and im afraid i hate to do this but weve hit the 6 month wall,lads results in school getting worse rather than better after a great start and weve all had the big arguement "i hate it here its crap i wanna go home"im gutted ive actually snook a look at flights tonight,were all working soo hard to settle i think weve took our eye off what really matters,i was promised good dollars for being a carpenter/joiner but you need a liscence and you cant get it that easy so im stuck in a workshop getting $20 an hour!!!!!!!!!!! until i can sort a better job,i really dont want to moan and ive made a point of not doing so to anyone here but im a long way from home and needed an outlet,is it gonna get easier ????
Sorry you're having a wobble but hang in there, things will improve. Most people have that OMG, what have we done thing...and most come out the other side in one piece and smiling.
Empathise with your predicament as a tradie, as my OH is a gas fitter and has encountered similar licensing problems but try to look further than the here and now.
It's such a massive move for everyone, there has to be a period of adjustment and balance to survive before the good times really begin to roll....and they will.
And just remember how cold and grey the UK will be in a couple of weeks, while we have months of blue skies and sunshine to enjoy.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:00 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way you can pull out all the stops and get your licence? Whereabouts are you? Maybe once you're licenced and can pull a bit more money in things will ease up a bit

I hope so
Old Sep 20th 2007, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I get the same from my kids daily. But they say it for different reasons now. It is a major concern, one that i hope goes away.
Still early days for you, but god knows how long you have to feel this way before you make a final decision.
As for the licence thing. I hear you mate. Takes ages. Nothing you can do about it except persist and insist. Good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

thanks for all your support ,i remember why we used expats sooo much before we came out here,we do love it here weather people places i think part of the problem is were still in the england rat race mentality,we always said it would be at least a year before we give a little sigh and go wow were here,thankyou all you are stears
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Don't throw in the towel mate.............. at least you have a job?

When we arrived with youngsters aged 1, 3, and 4 it was a real struggle for us because I couldn't get a job anywhere Two years straight on the Dole, no work at all apart from the odd shutdown or two when I picked up a short term pipe-fitting gig.

I was a plumber at the time......... certificates not recognised here....... need a license to do this....... a license to do that blah blah blah. It was depressing and we were almost on that plane back to nothingness in the UK on more than one occasion.

Luckily we put up with all the s**t for a while and never threw in the towel and returned to the UK. So glad we stuck it out. A recent rip back to the UK was enough to make me realise big time how lucky we are to be here?

I don't get depressed these days........... but......... if ever i do feel a little down...... I jump in the Jag and go for a drive ............ or I take a stroll around the firebreak ............ cheers me up no end

We've cracked it now after many years of hard yakka. Our bank managers just about love us.......... doubt if that could ever be the case in the UK?

Stick at it mate.............. if we can make it ........... so can you!!!

Hope everything turns out right for you?

good luck
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

where abouts are you,my OH is a carpenter and was under the impression that there is work ready available and the liciences dont take too long to sort out ! we are heading to the goldcoast
sarah
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bobcat

When we arrived with youngsters aged 1, 3, and 4 it was a real struggle for us because I couldn't get a job anywhere Two years straight on the Dole, no work at all apart from the odd shutdown or two when I picked up a short term pipe-fitting gig.
Are you entitled to the dole if you can't find work on a PR visa????
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Are you entitled to the dole if you can't find work on a PR visa????
Absolutely............ the government had taken enough off me in taxes when i was single prior to us returning to Perth as a family.

Mind you; wasn't on the Dole by choice............. would have much rather worked than draw Dole money.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Things are really hard at first. We've been here 15 months, just moved into our new house and things are starting to look rosier.

OH was on just under $20 when we arrived, had a pay rise since - not bad. Are you on PR and claiming centre link. This helped us out at the beginning.

Summers coming and things will look brighter. The winter months make everyone feel s..t.

Got to admit didnt think we'd last when we first arrived, money seemed to disappear and it was like OMG how are we suppose to survive on this wage when we go to get weekly shop and its $200, plus we had medical expenses for our kids (didn't expect to being seeing consultants as much as we have) but we now on our feet and the money issue is settling a bit, not so worried now.

EVERYTHING WILL TURN OUT ALRIGHT IN THE END.

Which part of Oz are you in?
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 12:04 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bobcat

I was a plumber at the time......... certificates not recognised here....... need a license to do this....... a license to do that blah blah blah. It was depressing and we were almost on that plane back to nothingness in the UK on more than one occasion.

Luckily we put up with all the s**t for a while and never threw in the towel and returned to the UK. So glad we stuck it out. A recent rip back to the UK was enough to make me realise big time how lucky we are to be here?

I don't get depressed these days........... but......... if ever i do feel a little down...... I jump in the Jag and go for a drive ............ or I take a stroll around the firebreak ............ cheers me up no end

We've cracked it now after many years of hard yakka. Our bank managers just about love us.......... doubt if that could ever be the case in the UK?

Stick at it mate.............. if we can make it ........... so can you!!!

Hope everything turns out right for you?

good luck
Hey bobcat plumber here in your wonderful suburb i bet you are not far from me, we are moving into greenhaven glades off rustic drive
dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.