Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bit of a daft question ...

Bit of a daft question ...

Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:41 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Bit of a daft question ...

... and not an important one but:

Do they use US spelling in Oz or not? I've seen 'Harbor' and 'Center' and just wondered ... ?
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:17 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit of a daft question ...

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl

Do they use US spelling in Oz or not? I've seen 'Harbor' and 'Center' and just wondered ... ?
No. Definetly not generally anyway.

Once though I had Oz spellcheck on, and it still spelt the word(forgotten which) the American way, and I knew it wasn't. So look out with spell check.
Oh, that was a word with 'z'. I think 'organisation'.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Simone
No. Definetly not generally anyway.

Once though I had Oz spellcheck on, and it still spelt the word(forgotten which) the American way, and I knew it wasn't. So look out with spell check.
Oh, that was a word with 'z'. I think 'organisation'.
Yeah, MS Word has "z" instead of "s" sometimes... bloody yanks ;-) but hey Bill Gates is not an Aussie, what can we do!

;-)

fafa
Old Oct 26th 2004, 12:11 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Yeah, MS Word has "z" instead of "s" sometimes... bloody yanks ;-) but hey Bill Gates is not an Aussie, what can we do!

;-)

fafa
I have changed the default langage in Word to 'English UK' so I don't get those annoying squiggley lines under my 's/z' words.
ACE
Old Oct 26th 2004, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

I puzzled over this when I arrived - so I asked some 'locals'.

The most popular answer seemed to be that they used to use English spelling way-back (30-ish years or so) . Then the eductaion departments tried to loosen the English leasons with a kind of 'spell it as it sounds' attitude - which led to an increased amount of US spelling. Lately some schools are encouraging a 'back to basics' traditional approach which means words are now being formally spelt using the UK spelling!

So the answer is 'both'.

Cheers.
AndyH
Brisbane.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

OZ definitely uses the English spelling way and not the American. Trust me I am an Aussie living in America

Cheers
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few other weird things to get used to - the date for example usually gets written as October 27, not October 27th, and they tend to use shortened versions of words a lot more, so you can refer to firies or ambos, whereas in the UK nicknames like that aren't really used in written English.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:46 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Good point!

Ooops, you've probably been reading some of my posts (remnants of a US education )

UK spelling as far as I can tell, but oddly they use some US words/phrases, here such as 'muffler' (= car exhaust/silencer).

I keep meaning to go buy the Macquarie Dictionary (Oz equivalent of the UK's Oxford) so I can start getting it right!

Cheers
Anya.