Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bird bouncing off the window?

Bird bouncing off the window?

Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:40 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Question Bird bouncing off the window?

I keep getting those black and white squaky birds thumping themselves off my window. They sit on the fence between my house and next doors and fly between the two boucing their feet off the window - anybody know why?

Kareena
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:51 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bird bouncing off the window?

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I keep getting those black and white squaky birds thumping themselves off my window. They sit on the fence between my house and next doors and fly between the two boucing their feet off the window - anybody know why?

Kareena
They are territorial and sometimes around breeding time, they see their reflection in the window and attack it
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:55 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Ah, thank you!! That would explain it!!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 6:57 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, thank you!! That would explain it!!

A lot of people put that trellis stuff in front of windows which have a reflection so as to stop the birds cracking the glass. They're buggars those birds but only doing what's natural I suppose.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Magpie larks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magpie-lark

The scariest thing is when they attack your driving mirrors while you are parked at traffic lights - there is one total nutter who attacks cars exiting one of our Civic car parks.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

When we first put our tinted windows in, we had birds smashing into the windows every couple of weeks. It's the reflection.

But once we put blinds in, the birds could see that it wasn't sky, so they stopped braining themselves on our windows.

Now we just have 2 plovers who reckon they own our garden and attack up when we go out.

JTL
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Kareena
have the kids stuck breadcrumbs to the windows.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 8:56 am
Living the dream!

Originally Posted by irishbloo
have the kids stuck breadcrumbs to the windows.
Hmm, that is the sort of thing my boys would do!!

Just checked, we're okay! The crumbs are on the inside from where my little one has wiped his hands while watching the bird!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We have kookaburras that are the thickest birds out: they will sit on the birdbath looking at their reflection, take off and fly straight into the window, fall to the ground, get back on the birdbath for a couple of minutes - and do the same thing over and over again.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Wol
We have kookaburras that are the thickest birds out: they will sit on the birdbath looking at their reflection, take off and fly straight into the window, fall to the ground, get back on the birdbath for a couple of minutes - and do the same thing over and over again.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:15 am
Just Joined

lynn59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Bird bouncing off the window?

Kareena
no but i have the same problem lol