Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bills, bills bills?! - Australia vs UK...

Bills, bills bills?! - Australia vs UK...

Old May 27th 2009, 7:09 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bills, bills bills?! - Australia vs UK...

I think I can make out an MP3 player, fitted to the dash?
Old May 27th 2009, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Far more engine damage is done when being driven hard from cold - and that can happen anywhere in the world.

Agree about the stop start driving although it depends where you live. Here in Melbourne I do a lot more stop start than I did living in Warwickshire, but it's more likely to be more prominent in UK cities.
The people in the UK who idle their cars whilst they de-ice their screens are causing damage. I turn on the engine and then put instant load on it - but don't tear the arse out of it. Could be wrong here...

The problem with being a vol firefighter is that I drive my old car hard up the hill to the fire station from cold
Old May 27th 2009, 8:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Why so bad in NT?
Not sure, but they have even had to introduce speed limits, and demerit points, up there to try to cut it down, but it hasn't worked.

Despite introducing a 130km/h limit for the region’s four main highways - the Stuart, Arnhem, Barkly and Victoria - and implementing a demerit point system, fatalities in 2007 have climbed to 57.

The toll has increased from 44 in the same period last year, and 35 in 2004. A report in 2006 found that NT roads had a death rate three times that of the rest of the country, which prompted the Government to slap limits on major highways in a knee-jerk reaction.
Maybe they can't get used to driving slower ?

Wait... I found this:

Clare Martin, NT Chief Minister:
"As Territorians we're proud of many things, but we can't be proud of our road safety record,'' she said. "We drink and drive, we don't put seat belts on, we run red lights. We are very poor drivers and we've got to change that, and I don't make any apologies.''

Old May 27th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Boy your brave, someone might accuse you of starting an argument, There is no TV licence for free telly, elecricity is pay what you use (from memory), petrol more expenzive, council tax cheaper, not mot choice for car insurance, not sure about the rest

Are the bills in Oz as expensive as they are in the UK, or cheaper? I presume where you'd save money on oil/gas etc to heat the home, you'd make up for it paying for air con which I'm sure can be expensive? What sort of prices would someone living on their own mount up monthly for each of the following? Also, are there any other bills that I've not taken into account? (apart from rent obviously)

* Electricity:
* Landline:
* Rates?:
* Filling up a petrol/diesel car:
* How much also, for a decent, second hand car? Prices starting from?:
* TV License/subscription to satellite tele etc:
* Cheap car insurance:
* Car tax?
* Normal monthly mobile tarrif:
* Broadband monthly tarrif (basic):

Thanks for any help anyone can offer....

Jen
Old May 27th 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

al_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud ofal_and_lucy has much to be proud of

Just to make all you Oz based people feel even better, petrol here is back over the ÂŁ1.00 mark, well just over at ÂŁ1.01 and still rising

Thats $2.05697 AUD according to XE
Old May 27th 2009, 3:31 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Its going up here to $1.33 litre for the long weekend

Roll on next tuesday when it should drop down to around $1.10
Old May 27th 2009, 3:43 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy

That's mental how it can leap up in mass sums like that, as opposed to 'creeping up' like it does over here, how can they justify that? My mate was telling me that's quite common...
Old May 27th 2009, 4:00 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

That's mental how it can leap up in mass sums like that, as opposed to 'creeping up' like it does over here, how can they justify that? My mate was telling me that's quite common...
Its a bank holiday weekend coming up here in WA so theres always a massive increase.

On a normal weekend it'll jump up about 10c on thursday evening and drop back down monday morning.

Aussies filling up their v8's and 4x4's for the weekend = massive profits
Old May 27th 2009, 4:05 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

It pisses me off beyond belief!
Old May 27th 2009, 5:04 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Its a bank holiday weekend coming up here in WA so theres always a massive increase.

On a normal weekend it'll jump up about 10c on thursday evening and drop back down monday morning.

Aussies filling up their v8's and 4x4's for the weekend = massive profits
How can they get away with that? I'm glad they don't do it in the UK!!! LOL
Old May 27th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

When we try people think we have ulterior motives so we give up

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Wow, now we have poms defending Aussie TV and Broadband.

I just had to check I was on the right forum.
Old May 27th 2009, 5:18 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

I take it people are 'wise' to this weekend pricing, and try to buy during the week instead?!
Old May 27th 2009, 10:42 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I take it people are 'wise' to this weekend pricing, and try to buy during the week instead?!
The big petroleum companies normally get wise to the practice of buying on the "cheap days" and consequently simply change their "price hike days" to match.

The irony is that one of them is a British company and they would never try this on in the UK. Remember the fuel-strikes?

This is a very Australian practice.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:07 pm
Cad and bounder

Its not always possible. Most Australian cars have big engines (i.e 3 litres and above) big engines equals high fuel consumption and if you want to go travelling on the weekend you have to fill the car with juice, alot of it too.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Yes. Tuesday and Wednesdays are always the cheap days here

These are my last costings, per litre unleaded (for my 3+ litre car).
$0.949 23-Dec-08
$0.959 30-Dec-08
$0.929 14-Jan-09
$0.975 4-Feb-09
$1.055 18-Feb-09
$1.095 4-Mar-09
$0.959 18-Mar-09
$0.937 25-Mar-09
$1.025 7-Apr-09
$1.000 24-Apr-09
$1.029 6-May-09
$1.029 20-May-09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.