Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bill Bryson was wrong about Canberra!

Bill Bryson was wrong about Canberra!

Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:22 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bill Bryson was wrong about Canberra!

Just got back from a holiday to Canberra. 1st time there and we thought it was great! It was very un-Australian if that makes sense. It seemed to have a much better work ethic and service in the shops was so much more than just jobsworths. The chav to not chav ratio was very small and a very refreshing change. The Bryson book make have been accurate about Canberra a few years ago, but to me it's a proper city now with a definite European class feel to it.

So if like me you are not finding chav Australia to your liking it might be worth you checking out Canberra first before flying home too quick.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

jrob has a spectacular aura aboutjrob has a spectacular aura aboutjrob has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bill Bryson was wrong about Canberra!

Originally Posted by arkon
Just got back from a holiday to Canberra. 1st time there and we thought it was great! It was very un-Australian if that makes sense. It seemed to have a much better work ethic and service in the shops was so much more than just jobsworths. The chav to not chav ratio was very small and a very refreshing change. The Bryson book make have been accurate about Canberra a few years ago, but to me it's a proper city now with a definite European class feel to it.

So if like me you are not finding chav Australia to your liking it might be worth you checking out Canberra first before flying home too quick.
Quick tell Arkon. Someone his using his name in vain
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:36 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jrob
Took a while for my poor brain to work this one out, having spent a week with a much more educated populace it's difficult to dumb your brain down again!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

jrob has a spectacular aura aboutjrob has a spectacular aura aboutjrob has a spectacular aura about

Took a while for my poor brain to work this one out, having spent a week with a much more educated populace it's difficult to dumb your brain down again!

None taken!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Firiends of ours live there and love it and we visit when we can. I must say that if work allowed it then we would definately move over there. Saying that though we are in the middle of nowhere so it doesn't take much to impress us .

Nicky
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:05 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Has it changed your mind about going back to the UK , do you plan to stay in Canberra a few years before going back
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:11 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jrob
Looks like someones stolen his username and pretending to be Arkon.
Theres no way the real Arkon would say customer service and work ethic is good in OZ
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Has it changed your mind about going back to the UK , do you plan to stay in Canberra a few years before going back
I was wondering the same thing. I hear people saying try somewhere else before heading back but it is often harder to do when you are tied to work.
Nicky
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Bill Bryson on this one, but each to his own!
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thribble
I'm with Bill Bryson on this one, but each to his own!
Just curious - Have you actually visited Canberra - or just founding your opinion on a book?
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Why didn't you let me know you was coming - I would have liked to have met you.

Glad you liked it here
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that BB got it wrong about Canberra. It's amazing how people can give the wrong impression of a place when they have a blinkered view.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I agree that BB got it wrong about Canberra. It's amazing how people can give the wrong impression of a place when they have a blinkered view.
Whatever Bill Bryson's personal views on Canberra, he told it all in such a funny and entertaining way! We went to Canberra once, and I'm sorry to say we did actually agree with Bill Bryson, but then again we were in a bit of a hurry and didn't actually manage to find the "real" Canberra. We couldn't see where people lived, and the city centre was dead as a dodo - it was as though everybody had just left the city and gone home, which was probably true, even though it was about 4.00 in the afternoon. I would like to visit again to see what we missed out on, as I am interested in the opinions of those who live there. We have a friend in Australia who is from Canberra and raves about the place so I would like to see it again when we're in less of a hurry.
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
Whatever Bill Bryson's personal views on Canberra, he told it all in such a funny and entertaining way! We went to Canberra once, and I'm sorry to say we did actually agree with Bill Bryson, but then again we were in a bit of a hurry and didn't actually manage to find the "real" Canberra. We couldn't see where people lived, and the city centre was dead as a dodo - it was as though everybody had just left the city and gone home, which was probably true, even though it was about 4.00 in the afternoon. I would like to visit again to see what we missed out on, as I am interested in the opinions of those who live there. We have a friend in Australia who is from Canberra and raves about the place so I would like to see it again when we're in less of a hurry.
Good for you - you certainly missed the 'real' Canberra - but it all depends on what your priorities are I suppose
Old Jul 18th 2006, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sasbear
Good for you - you certainly missed the 'real' Canberra - but it all depends on what your priorities are I suppose
Our priorities were getting to our next accommodation before dark, and a longer drive than anticipated! Otherwise I think we would have been able to spend a lot more time in the city. I would certainly give it another chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.