Bikes

Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Bikes

Hello,

Hope someone can help me with this quick question. Hubby has seen a bike he wants to buy but I've said wait until we get to Oz. Now he would like to know how much are bikes over there? And would it be cheaper to buy it here and ship it over (we are not taking much stuff - no furniture, just boxes).

Thank you in advance of any replies

Karen
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:51 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bikes

Originally Posted by parentsof2
Hello,

Hope someone can help me with this quick question. Hubby has seen a bike he wants to buy but I've said wait until we get to Oz. Now he would like to know how much are bikes over there? And would it be cheaper to buy it here and ship it over (we are not taking much stuff - no furniture, just boxes).

Karen
Will be looking to buy a bike over here shortly. From memory I think it does work out cheaper in the UK. But other BE members with more recent acquisitions may contradict this. Can you wait for a few days for an answer? If so let me know the type/brand etc of the bike your hubby wants so I can give you a good comparison. By the way we are in Melbourne if you are going to another state it might be different again.

Kiwi
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:09 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Karen
Depends of what brand, model, size, construction material and purpose. Bikes can range from $100 up to $10000+.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

parentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the roughparentsof2 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Bikes

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Depends of what brand, model, size, construction material and purpose. Bikes can range from $100 up to $10000+.
Thanks for your replies,

He's drank a bottle of red so not getting much sense from him at the moment!
He just wants a bog standard mountain bike (I think). We will hopefully be coming to Melbourne if thats any help.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:17 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

We will hopefully be coming to Melbourne if thats any help.
COOL
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:17 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
yeah i just bought i really nice bike from anaconda for$599 to use to bike to work... and then bought helmet shorts lock lights computer tools etc and it all came to just under a thousand dollars for the quality of bike i got and the make of the bike bits bought i got a good deal....bloody shame my other 2 bikes are still in the shipping ....thats a orange mountain bike and a handbuilt racing bike..
hope this helps ....try and find a anaconda and they are soul distributor of a brand called "fluid" which are pretty decend bikes IMHO....
steve
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found that bikes are cheaper in Aus without even thinking about the shipping. Maybe there are some brands that are more expensive.

Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've found that bikes are cheaper in Aus without even thinking about the shipping. Maybe there are some brands that are more expensive.

European brands have great kudos out here, so they're hugely expensive. However, they're made in exactly the same factory as the asian cheaper bikes out here. I saw a perfectly respectable looking mountain bike in KMart the other week for a couple of hundred dollars! Bog standard is cheap here. Lots also in big bike shops and some DIY places I've seen up here.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Saint Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Karen

I bought a new bike only yesterday here in Melbourne, a Giant Boulder, cost $450 for the 2007 model. We bought the same bike a couple of years back in the UK for £250 so i'd say buy it here and you don't have the risk of losing it or having it damaged in the shipping.

Andy
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:40 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Saint Andy
I bought a new bike only yesterday here in Melbourne, a Giant Boulder, cost $450 for the 2007 model. We bought the same bike a couple of years back in the UK for £250 so i'd say buy it here and you don't have the risk of losing it or having it damaged in the shipping.

Andy
Sounds similar to my experience. Some git stole my bike about 3 months before we moved. The UK bike cost £400, the Aus bike was $650. The upside is that I did get some insurance money back and I didn't have to scrub the bike for shipping.

Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Karen
have a look on here:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/
http://www.cyclery.com.au/
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Bikes

Thanks for all your help.

He will probably wait until we get there to buy one. Andy, he got all excited about your giant boulder (should I be worried do you think!

karen