Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BIK ON company cars

BIK ON company cars

Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Chef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to beholdChef69 is a splendid one to behold
Default BIK ON company cars

Can anyone tell me if you pay Benefit in Kind on company cars in Australia as you do here? If you do what is tax liability. I have searched the tax sites for Australia but can’t seem to find anything
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:01 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BIK ON company cars

Originally Posted by Chef69
Can anyone tell me if you pay Benefit in Kind on company cars in Australia as you do here? If you do what is tax liability. I have searched the tax sites for Australia but can’t seem to find anything
Starnge how know one has answered this. A chef with a company car? Anyway, I was talked out of a co. car over here (as I was in Ireland) and told unless you will be doing a LOT of mileage, the tax is quite bad! Instead, I get a nice car allowance each month on top of my salary.
We are from Wicklow and have some very good friends in Longwood!

Andrew
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chef69

Company cars come within the Fringe Benefits Tax regime.

This is assessed on the employer not the employee, but you'll find the FBT amount of the benefit included in your salary package so effectively you'll get less cash to compensate.

Jeremy
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not vouching that this is totally up to date or applies to anything other than car lease schemes (novated lease) but these are the figures I've got:

Mileage (kilometreage?)
under 15000km p.a. FBT is 26.85%
15-25k FBT is 20.65%
25-40k FBT is 11.36%
>40k FBT is 7.25%.

Note, I use my car exclusively for private use - not at all for work purposes.

So if you get this sort of deal, you basically pay FBT instead of income tax on the lease cost.

For example, say your lease was $500/month, you get this income tax free (and save as much as 48.5%), instead you pay (effectively back to your employer) the FBT rate, say 26.85%. Your saving then would be 22% or about $100/month. If you do 15-25k you save up to 48.5% - 20.65% or about $140/month.