Big Step !!

Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Thadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the rough
Default Big Step !!

Wow ! I cannot believe the emotions involved in this emigration business !?

I have read loads on threads on this so I am so surprised that I feel so
troubled.....excited.....scared.......troubled...e tc.

We are going to Adelaide for a recce trip in 5 weeks times and I feel as though I am going for good ! We have put so much effort into getting our visas and I want to feel excited and motivated but I am find that I am just feeling stressed. I know that I do not have to make an immediate decision over the actual move but I can't help but view it under these terms. Is this normal?

I wish I was feeling more adventurous. I do not believe it is an easy "well if you don't like it you can always come home" decision once you are finally there. Unless you are extremely luckly most people will give up a certain position in the UK that would be hard to come back to - finances aside !

I am not looking for an answer here....I don't think there is one. I just wanted to sound off I guess and check I am not alone in feeling like this....

Thanks for "listening".
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:03 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Step !!

Originally Posted by Thadie
Wow ! I cannot believe the emotions involved in this emigration business !?

I have read loads on threads on this so I am so surprised that I feel so
troubled.....excited.....scared.......troubled...e tc.

We are going to Adelaide for a recce trip in 5 weeks times and I feel as though I am going for good ! We have put so much effort into getting our visas and I want to feel excited and motivated but I am find that I am just feeling stressed. I know that I do not have to make an immediate decision over the actual move but I can't help but view it under these terms. Is this normal?

I wish I was feeling more adventurous. I do not believe it is an easy "well if you don't like it you can always come home" decision once you are finally there. Unless you are extremely luckly most people will give up a certain position in the UK that would be hard to come back to - finances aside !

I am not looking for an answer here....I don't think there is one. I just wanted to sound off I guess and check I am not alone in feeling like this....

Thanks for "listening".

Your definitely not alone...the visa process is a roller coaster of emotions, and there are people on here that are one minute totally focused about the move and then being Sh*t :scared: about the whole process.

Dont worry this phase will pass and then it will be something else......always make sure you have alcohol at hand for theses troubled times

Good luck with the reccie ....let us now how you get on
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Thadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the roughThadie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Issie
Your definitely not alone...the visa process is a roller coaster of emotions, and there are people on here that are one minute totally focused about the move and then being Sh*t :scared: about the whole process.

Dont worry this phase will pass and then it will be something else......always make sure you have alcohol at hand for theses troubled times

Good luck with the reccie ....let us now how you get on

Thanks......the alcohol sounds like a good idea.....now why didn't I think of that ?
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, pretty much sums up how we have felt at a few stages too.

It's quite normal
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:10 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks......the alcohol sounds like a good idea.....now why didn't I think of that ?
Seriously you will be fine....your feelings are the most natural in the world, the biggest decision/change is about to happen in your life and of course your bound to have these worries and doubts.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Seriously you will be fine....your feelings are the most natural in the world, the biggest decision/change is about to happen in your life and of course your bound to have these worries and doubts.

Sometimes you read other threads and they are so excited and counting the days until they arrive for their new life in Aus.....and then I wonder why I don't feel like that. The thought of not having a visa and the option to go is awful. Perhaps I am just not ready to make this decision at this time. I am hoping to keep an open mind on our trip there and also hoping I will fall in love with Adelaide......then negative thoughts pop into my head....how can I make that decision based on a holiday.... I mean I love Spain and France but do I want to live there?

Do you think others have felt like this and when they arrive there the negative thoughts just go and then they just know its right ! I wish I had a crystal ball that would just tell me it is all going to be okay and the best decision I could make......but lifes not like that!

Hope I cheer up for weekend !!! I'll get the alcohol out !!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:31 pm

Sometimes you read other threads and they are so excited and counting the days until they arrive for their new life in Aus.....and then I wonder why I don't feel like that. The thought of not having a visa and the option to go is awful. Perhaps I am just not ready to make this decision at this time. I am hoping to keep an open mind on our trip there and also hoping I will fall in love with Adelaide......then negative thoughts pop into my head....how can I make that decision based on a holiday.... I mean I love Spain and France but do I want to live there?

Do you think others have felt like this and when they arrive there the negative thoughts just go and then they just know its right ! I wish I had a crystal ball that would just tell me it is all going to be okay and the best decision I could make......but lifes not like that!

What made you want to go to Australia in the first place...have you already got your visa?
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

What made you want to go to Australia in the first place...have you already got your visa?

I have already visited Aus twice before and absolutely loved the country...but I never viewed it as a place to live at that time. My husband has always wanted to give it a try and now we have children I have too given it serious consideration. I just find it hard making that final decision....I cannot get my head around what if it doesn't work out. If it was just me and my husband I would not have a problem but I don't want to make the wrong decision for my children (age 9 and 5).

We have permanent resident visas - granted in Oct 2005.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:47 pm

I have already visited Aus twice before and absolutely loved the country...but I never viewed it as a place to live at that time. My husband has always wanted to give it a try and now we have children I have too given it serious consideration. I just find it hard making that final decision....I cannot get my head around what if it doesn't work out. If it was just me and my husband I would not have a problem but I don't want to make the wrong decision for my children (age 9 and 5).

We have permanent resident visas - granted in Oct 2005.

So you still have a few more years to think about it yet so dont panic just yet, but you do have to think about schooling for the kiddies especially the eldest going to high school.

What is the wrong decision ??? would it be to stay and that way you will never know.

What is the right decision?? no one knows the answer to that but if you dont give it a go ever time something happens you will always say to yourself ' if only we had gone...would it be different'

If it doesnt work out ( sorry to be negative) then your kids will have spent apart of their growing in a counrty that most will only dream about. See it as an adventure for you and the kids. It will be an amazing and life changing experience for you all......and dont put a time limit on it if that makes you feel better.

I am so scared too ......but with lots of support and encouragement from the wonderful guys on here i know if i dont go i will regret it for the rest of my life.
Old Feb 17th 2006, 2:55 pm
Here and loving it!

cheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond reputecheri-pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Thadie

I do know exactly how you are feeling. We decided to move to Oz a few years ago but then things started to go so well here we forgot about it for a while. However, about 18 months ago the urge to move returned and we found an agent to get the ball rolling. We discussed it with the kids (they were about 10 or 11 at the time) and all decided we would move with a 'get out' clause that if any one of didn't like it we could return after six months. We had never been to Australia and didn't see the point in making a reccie trip - we just wanted to go as soon as possible. But things have since moved very slowly and putting a business plan together took about a year (sub-consciously delaying perhaps!). Anyway the agent kept on at us to visit Oz to help with the business plan and research so we eventually went to three weeks last summer.

I absolutely was dreading going, just like you, all sorts of thoughts kept going round my head - what if we hate it? what if it is just not right? too hot? too humid? what if we love and don't get visas? everything!!

Anyway three weeks in Australia was enough to convince all of us that is where we will spend the rest of our lives - somehow, visas or not! We made some business contacts, decided where we wanted to live, what we were going to do and that was all that mattered.

Although there are still a lot of questions going round my head at least there are no doubts. The trouble now is that it is all a secret and will stay a secret until we have sold everything here and got our visas. That is the way we must do it according to hubby. I thought I would go insane until I found this site - now I can talk and tell everyone on here WE ARE GOING TO LIVE IN AUSTRALIA !!! Dreading telling the parents though!

Enough about me, but I do understand what you are going through as I am sure lots of people on here does.

Go and have fun, remember it is a big place and if you don't like one area there are plenty of other areas to try.

Good luck
Cheri x
Old Feb 17th 2006, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheri-pie
Hi Thadie

I do know exactly how you are feeling. We decided to move to Oz a few years ago but then things started to go so well here we forgot about it for a while. However, about 18 months ago the urge to move returned and we found an agent to get the ball rolling. We discussed it with the kids (they were about 10 or 11 at the time) and all decided we would move with a 'get out' clause that if any one of didn't like it we could return after six months. We had never been to Australia and didn't see the point in making a reccie trip - we just wanted to go as soon as possible. But things have since moved very slowly and putting a business plan together took about a year (sub-consciously delaying perhaps!). Anyway the agent kept on at us to visit Oz to help with the business plan and research so we eventually went to three weeks last summer.

I absolutely was dreading going, just like you, all sorts of thoughts kept going round my head - what if we hate it? what if it is just not right? too hot? too humid? what if we love and don't get visas? everything!!

Anyway three weeks in Australia was enough to convince all of us that is where we will spend the rest of our lives - somehow, visas or not! We made some business contacts, decided where we wanted to live, what we were going to do and that was all that mattered.

Although there are still a lot of questions going round my head at least there are no doubts. The trouble now is that it is all a secret and will stay a secret until we have sold everything here and got our visas. That is the way we must do it according to hubby. I thought I would go insane until I found this site - now I can talk and tell everyone on here WE ARE GOING TO LIVE IN AUSTRALIA !!! Dreading telling the parents though!

Enough about me, but I do understand what you are going through as I am sure lots of people on here does.

Go and have fun, remember it is a big place and if you don't like one area there are plenty of other areas to try.

Good luck
Cheri x

Thanks Guys

I really appreciate your replies........I feel so much better knowing I am not alone feeling like this.

I have my tickets booked, we are staying at a really nice hotel in Adelaide and we will be checking out schools, houses etc whilst there.

I suppose my fear for the children is that they are happy here and I don't want to spoil that for them. BUT to be positive, maybe they can be happier in Aus ! Who knows and if we don't try.........

Thanks again for your kind advice and support.