Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Big repairs to the rental property: tenants rights?

Big repairs to the rental property: tenants rights?

Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Jasond is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Big repairs to the rental property: tenants rights?

Hello to all the people in this great forum.

A while ago we had a rainwater ingress problem in the apartment my girlfriend and I are renting in Brisbane, which made some damages to the carpet and the walls. Now the owner decides to have the strata repair the walls, which will be obviously an inconvenience to us.

We can live with the damage to the walls until the end of the tenancy agreement, however, we are wondering what our rights will be if the owner insists on carrying on the repairs while we are in the property.

In particular, we are wondering:

- if the owner "has to" offer us alternate accommodation or rent free during the repair time?

- if we can oppose the repairs without any legal consequences?

Any similar experience would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason
Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big repairs to the rental property: tenants rights?

I don't know but these people will be able to tell you
http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/