Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The big question - is the grass greener?

The big question - is the grass greener?

Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

GILDOC will become famous soon enough
Default The big question - is the grass greener?

As above really, very early stages of thinking of emigrating. We have a good life here in scotland, family all around us, hubby works full time, i work part time, we have a 2 year old daughter and trying for another baby, and live in a small community where we know everyone. However, there are no opportunities for our children where we are, we dont want them growing up in the ned culture here, we hate the uk attitide to alcohol, its a part of life here and think the attitide. We like the thought of bringing our children up with an active lifestyle being involved in sports, being in the outdoors (ie its doesnt pee down of rain for 360 days of the year) and being amongst friendly people. Would like to live in a smallish community near to beach. So is it worth emigrating or shoudl we stay put and be content?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of
Default Re: The big question - is the grass greener?

Originally Posted by GILDOC
As above really, very early stages of thinking of emigrating. We have a good life here in scotland, family all around us, hubby works full time, i work part time, we have a 2 year old daughter and trying for another baby, and live in a small community where we know everyone. However, there are no opportunities for our children where we are, we dont want them growing up in the ned culture here, we hate the uk attitide to alcohol, its a part of life here and think the attitide. We like the thought of bringing our children up with an active lifestyle being involved in sports, being in the outdoors (ie its doesnt pee down of rain for 360 days of the year) and being amongst friendly people. Would like to live in a smallish community near to beach. So is it worth emigrating or shoudl we stay put and be content?
Go for it girl. Oz is wonderful. We've been twice and are going for good as soon as our visas come through.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:59 pm
Tracey and Chris

traceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to all

Well - only you can decide that really!
Have you sat down and written down a list of the pros and cons?
I have done that and found lots more pros for going to Oz!
Also think about whatyou could get out of moving as well as your children -after all - it is you who will be doing it all!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

TELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the roughTELLYADDICT1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by traceyandchris
Well - only you can decide that really!
Have you sat down and written down a list of the pros and cons?
I have done that and found lots more pros for going to Oz!
Also think about whatyou could get out of moving as well as your children -after all - it is you who will be doing it all!
Hi

I agree with traceyandchris.

We live in Scotland also, no kids. We made a list in March. In summary, we want a good social life that doesn't revolve around just getting drunk in the local pub, we want to eat out well without having to take out a second mortgage, we want to live in a more chilled out community, kids in Oz appear to be a wee bit more innocent & active & less threatening (in our opinion) and finally, I don't like what the future holds for nursing here and would prefer to work in Oz.

This list has been invaluable and we refer to it any time one of us has a bit of a wobbly ... "are we doing the right thing?". I may even laminate it!!

Personally, I would prefer to try, fail & return rather than 'bottle it' & regret it when I'm older.

Make sure you research well & the very best of luck, whatever your decision.

Slainte
TA
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

york1e is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome. why not go for a holiday and see for yourself. thats what i did and now i can't wait to get my visa
good luck with whatever you decide
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

we had the same dilemma, but after much thought we decided to go for it. we thought that we should do it now while the children are still young, and before my daughter who is 10, starts thinking about boys!
the way we looked at it was that if we didn't go for it, in years to come we would poberbly be kicking ourselves. life is an adventure and you only get one go at it.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

GILDOC will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice evryone, hopefully we will decide sometime soon! In the meantime I'll get a list started and get into my research. We stayed in Melbourne for 4 months while backpackign and loved it and then travelled the rest of Oz but would never be able to decide where to stay - oh the decisions!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:46 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

hi gildoc,

we are leaving for much the same reasons that you have outlined. you may find new zealand an interesting option too.

be warned though - not much grass at all in parts of australia
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:51 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience the Aussie attitude to alcohol is pretty much the same as that of the British. Then you've got the abundant pokies to consider.

It's nice out here, don't get me wrong, and it works for me and my family (and I think it's a better place to bring up kids, full stop) but I don't think you'll get away from everything that ails you.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 8:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
In my experience the Aussie attitude to alcohol is pretty much the same as that of the British. Then you've got the abundant pokies to consider.

It's nice out here, don't get me wrong, and it works for me and my family (and I think it's a better place to bring up kids, full stop) but I don't think you'll get away from everything that ails you.
Finally a reply from someone who actually LIVES in Australia rather than those trying to get there

Lots of people trying to get to Canada will also tell you exactly how great it is and how there are no yobs and just how perfect it is....and for about 6 months after you get here and get settled in it is, but then reality sets in.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

rabbitstew is an unknown quantity at this point

The grass will only be greener if thats what you want. Ive been here 5 weeks and its seems greener to me but as most people will tell you time will tell.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We've lived in Melbourne now for 2 1/2 years and we love it! Wouldn't even consider moving back. It's a really beautiful city with always something on and places to take the kids. We do a lot more in our time off than we ever did at home. Good luck in your decisions - we don't regret it for a minute (well ... maybe only that we didn't come here sooner!!)
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

There is still a big drink problem in Oz as there is in the UK. They also have a big problem with drugs however Im not sure if it is any worse than the UK or just more publicised here!

Living near to the beach, do you mean 5 mins walk or 10 mins drive because houses near the beach are at least $1m however move further inland and they get cheaper.

Where are you thinking of moving too?

We moved here for the guaranteed weather which you get. It also means the children can always play outside however they also always need suncream on!

We feel it is a better lifestyle for families and the Australians seem more family orientated than the British.

We wouldnt move back to the UK however I cant say its forever.

Good luck

Sue
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:50 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Finally a reply from someone who actually LIVES in Australia rather than those trying to get there

Lots of people trying to get to Canada will also tell you exactly how great it is and how there are no yobs and just how perfect it is....and for about 6 months after you get here and get settled in it is, but then reality sets in.
Aye, you've got to have realistic expections. I reckon if you emigrate expecting to escape something (either within yourself or external) then you are setting yourself up for failure.

In short - If you're miserable in the UK then you will be miserable anywhere.

Also, if you have a happy comfortable life where you are and the only reason for up-sticksing is to escape some factor that is more to do with human nature than location then you should think twice.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego

I picked up the alcohol thing too.

Yesterday I went to the doctors and while she was filling in my medical history she asked how much I drank every day. When I said I had perhaps 3 or 4 bottles of beer a week she said I'll put 2 per day to make you sound normal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.