Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Big one or little ones?

Big one or little ones?

Old Nov 11th 2006, 1:47 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Big one or little ones?

Someone has asked me whether it's any cheaper to send one large parcel or somehow cheaper to send multiple smaller ones? A friend of hers claims the latter but I can't quite get my head around how this could be. Anyone able to enlighten me?
Old Nov 11th 2006, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Big one or little ones?

Where are you sending from and to and what kinda size are we talking about?

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
Someone has asked me whether it's any cheaper to send one large parcel or somehow cheaper to send multiple smaller ones? A friend of hers claims the latter but I can't quite get my head around how this could be. Anyone able to enlighten me?
Old Nov 11th 2006, 2:14 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Its done on Weight, so their might be a weight range that you pay for....

I think you can get a schedule of these rates from the post office....
Old Nov 11th 2006, 2:23 am
Account Closed

I don't know the weight etc to be honest. I think it was Christmas pressies from UK to Australia but she wasn't specific. I know that doesn't help to give a specific answer but was just curious as to why there might be a difference between a single large item or several small ones. I don't know the answer but logic tells me there would be no difference as the weight is the same.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

The post office will only carry parcels up to a certain size and weight. Go beyond that, and you get into shipping boxes which costs a LOT more. Could that be what she means?
Old Nov 11th 2006, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Perhaps. My wife mentioned something about size but not certain we were discussing the same thing...
Old Nov 11th 2006, 5:51 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps. My wife mentioned something about size but not certain we were discussing the same thing...

You shouldnt be talking about such things anymore.....5 is enough,dont you think???

Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Never say never! Anyway, I think she was referring to the fact that due to the size of the aircraft, parcel sizes were restricted......I heard the word jumbo so assume she was talking about aircraft
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:44 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Never say never! Anyway, I think she was referring to the fact that due to the size of the aircraft, parcel sizes were restricted......I heard the word jumbo so assume she was talking about aircraft
If you trot down to the Post Office, they have some large boxes with christmassy decorations on for sending stuff overseas. It specifically explains how you need to pack items out and fill up any gaps between items to stop them from moving around inside.

Go and have a look, then that may give you an idea of the size of box that they are willing to carry, and what sort of size things you can stuff into them.

S