Reload this Page >

The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

Old May 22nd 2005, 9:05 pm
Merlot

Default The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

I want to say thanks for listening here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/annou...nouncementid=5

Looks like blogs, meet ups and news columns (I assume for diary writers) are becoming a reality.

Well done Forum.

M

Old May 22nd 2005, 9:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The BIG Blog/Diary Debate

Originally Posted by Merlot
I want to say thanks for listening here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/annou...nouncementid=5

Looks like blogs, meet ups and news columns (I assume for diary writers) are becoming a reality.

Well done Forum.

M
I agree, the idea was excellent. Pity we are now being advised in another thread not to post diaries, meet ups etc !!!! Looks like Brissie/Perth nights out could be a thing of the past......
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:43 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I agree, the idea was excellent. Pity we are now being advised in another thread not to post diaries, meet ups etc !!!! Looks like Brissie/Perth nights out could be a thing of the past......
I don't think we need to worry, soon all what has happened over the last week will be forgotten and the forum will return to the happy carefree place it used to be

Louise
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:45 pm
Merlot

It is all becoming a confusing blur isn't it

Is it the darkless thread? I see where they are coming from with regards to crazy people out there and has made me extra wary.

Expats in Oz must keep the meets happening for all the new ones, I will certainly catch up with a few folks in a few years time.

M

Old May 22nd 2005, 9:47 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You just try it girl. I am on my way (nearly) and I intend joining you for at least one
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You just try it girl. I am on my way (nearly) and I intend joining you for at least one
Might have to pick up vibes through the air as to where to meet though, if we are no longer allowed to broadcast the details
Seriously, good news on the house - I'm looking forward to meeting you when you finally make it here!!!
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:53 pm
Merlot

Might have to pick up vibes through the air as to where to meet though, if we are no longer allowed to broadcast the details
Seriously, good news on the house - I'm looking forward to meeting you when you finally make it here!!!
Smoke signals work well

Old May 22nd 2005, 9:55 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Smoke signals work well
Or a very strong carrier pigeon

Louise
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Poll, I dont get to read all the posts can you tell me what was said??

Found it, warning personal info thread, dont think posting meet ups is that dangerous tho, often large numbers turn up in public too, I suppose tho if somone takes a real dislike to someone Crazy eh.

Last edited by jad n rich; May 22nd 2005 at 10:02 pm.
Old May 22nd 2005, 10:02 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sorry Poll, I dont get to read all the posts can you tell me what was said??
Not sure if it was this one????

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304487

M

Old May 22nd 2005, 11:01 pm
Home and Happy

Thats the one........following last week where Girlie Drinking meet threads were attacked as "boring" .....just got my goat when it was the first thread I read this morning!
Old May 22nd 2005, 11:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the one........following last week where Girlie Drinking meet threads were attacked as "boring" .....just got my goat when it was the first thread I read this morning!
I agree, they are boring if you're not attending. Thats why i don't read a thread entitled "Brisbane girlie drinks" Quite simple really

Dates and times have to be put up here otherwise where would everyone know where to go

However i do agree with not broadcasting the fact that you are going away/ alone etc. Also i really feel uncomfortable when people post pictures of their kids in full view, ie pictures that could be fiddled with, it creeps me out a bit. But everyone is different i guess, some people are even paranoid if you know their name :scared: Each to their own
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:00 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Merlot, I'm finding you to be a bit hypocritical, and I haddened expected this from you.

Yesterday you were making a lot of sarcastic references to the Perth girls out thread(s), and you might have seen it as a joke, but I didn't think so, I found it(all added up) offensive. And I'm not even speaking for others, for whom it seems it's 'pick on me' week and is now quiting the forum altogether partly because of your comments.

Your location was something like: 'not in bed with Perth ladies'

Then it;s:
Yes the more you have the more you can make people see you are popular and live a great life, whilst the rest of us stay at home with Horlicks and a good book
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...74#post2411574

But will we get to hear whose bed you wake up in?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...18#post2411518

Yes but don't forget to start a couple of threads talking about your night out, your hangover, whose bed you woke up in, how lovely your group of friends are and the price of lettuce.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...96#post2411496

And a few other references.

I don't need to defend myself, but once again, I will.

If 'we' wanted to show how popular etc etc(who gives a stuff? You obviously) we are, wouldn't we post about all our meetups?
In actual fact, we only make the occasional one public, so that new people to Perth can join 'us'. Like how we met up in the first place, via this forum.

Who said you have to go out to have a great life. You seem to be implying that we think that's the case. Many of us stay home quite often with a good book(or tv, or this forum) or whatever. I'm more at home than I am out. And that's the way I like it(with the occasional girls night out) And what do you care anyway.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...46#post2406846
I think having your own website is the way to go, like Jad n Rich said it doesn't leave anyone open to being pelted with abuse or was it eggs.
This post confuses me: Do you think that just because we post on a public forum, it's ok to abuse people?
In that case: why don't you stop posting about drinking your wine, or meeting up at the northwest meet.
Or why don't we just stop posting altogether???!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for the 20th time(directed at several members, including you), I(I won't say 'we', because I don't you who exactly that is, but it definetly includes a few others), WEREN'T OFFENDED BY THE PARODIE (the potato peelers diary), IT WAS THE REMARKS MADE AFTER THAT, ABOUT PEOPLE BEING SAD IF THEY POST PERSONAL STUFF(AND IT WAS A BIT MORE NASTY THAN THAT).

Now, doesn't that count for all of us. EVERYONE IS POSTING PERSONAL STUFF ON HERE, some more than others.

Merlot, you have posted personal stuff, Threelegs has himself(with the baby for one), Moneypen has just posted about her house selling etc etc etc

Why does anyone care who posts what?(unless for concern of our safety, like Darkless)

If you don't like something(that's not offensive. If it is, report it), then don't read it. Don't go making snipey remarks in 3 different threads and your location.
You might think it's funny, but it has had some more serious consequences(not just your posts, but everyone's 'personal attacks' combined.

EDIT: btw, I wasn't going to post all this, because I don't want this argument to be brought up time and time again, but people are continuing with it(starting new threads...).
So yeah, I was just going to try and ignore it, but this morning I still felt angry and 'offended', and also others have emailed me and said they were totally quiting the forum.
For the first time in my 2 years on here, I also feel quite fed up with it all, but I'm not quitting, because I still have 'friends' on here, I like to help people on here, and I'm just too addicted.

Last edited by Simone; May 23rd 2005 at 3:29 am.
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

What I said was to exercise caution in what you post. If you want to post that you will be at the Pub Friday night, that you live in such a such a street, drive a yellow ute and that your bloke is on nights, then that is your look out. I was simply saying that combining this sort of information could be dangerous.

Regarding meet up times, surely the easiest thing is for people who are interested in going to PM the person organising it, who can they distribute details more securely.

Like I say, you can take or leave my advice... I was only trying to highlight the issue to those who haven't considered it.

Last edited by darkless; May 23rd 2005 at 2:45 am. Reason: Was a bit harsh!! :-)
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:55 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by darkless
What I said was to exercise caution in what you post. If you want to post that you will be at the Pub Friday night, that you live in such a such a street, drive a yellow ute and that your bloke is on nights, then that is your look out. I was simply saying that combining this sort of information could be dangerous.

Regarding meet up times, surely the easiest thing is for people who are interested in going to PM the person organising it, who can they distribute details more securely.

Like I say, you can take or leave my advice... I was only trying to highlight the issue to those who haven't considered it.
The main reason why we started posting time & place was so that people could just read it and then come along if they wanted to, without wondering if their pm would be answered, and without making definite plans.
The first "meets" I was involved with, 2 years ago in the UK, attracted people who just decided at the last minute to come along, having just read the threads.

I do see your point about personal security, and I have been concerned at the amount some people post, especially (as Hevs has commented) about their kids, when they add photos. I've often wanted to post funny photos of my nieces, but never would, this is just too public, and they are too young and vulnerable.

I wonder how many people have been scared off of meeting up with fellow forumites? Not all down to you, but somehow the fun has gone out of this place after the last week - though I may be alone in feeling that ,- I'm almost afraid to post anything for fear of starting another accusation of "boring" or "repetitive" or "scary".
Time to find a new forum to lurk on maybe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.