Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bicycle prices in UK and Oz

bicycle prices in UK and Oz

Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

anna collins has a spectacular aura aboutanna collins has a spectacular aura aboutanna collins has a spectacular aura about
Default bicycle prices in UK and Oz

I am wondering if anyone can help. My son almost needs a new bike and we cannot decide whether to get one here in the UK or wait til we've moved. Does anyone know if bicycle prices are wildly different in Australia compared to the UK?

Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:41 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bicycle prices in UK and Oz

Originally Posted by anna collins
I am wondering if anyone can help. My son almost needs a new bike and we cannot decide whether to get one here in the UK or wait til we've moved. Does anyone know if bicycle prices are wildly different in Australia compared to the UK?

Thanks for any help.
if you mean a brand-name bike (Giant, Trek, etc)
have a look on 99bikes.com.au
goldcross.com.au

those are the closest type of thing to a halfords - major bike chain. There arent really any big bike chains like halfords. Toys R Us do bikes too - 100-200$ if you mean that sort of thing , as to Target, BigW, and K-Mart they all have online catalogues if you look.

ebay.com.au as well.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spalen
if you mean a brand-name bike (Giant, Trek, etc)
have a look on 99bikes.com.au
goldcross.com.au

those are the closest type of thing to a halfords - major bike chain. There arent really any big bike chains like halfords. Toys R Us do bikes too - 100-200$ if you mean that sort of thing , as to Target, BigW, and K-Mart they all have online catalogues if you look.

ebay.com.au as well.
Just looked at the site, it seems ok, do you know of any sites with prices, Australlian web sites seem notorious for having no prices.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
Just looked at the site, it seems ok, do you know of any sites with prices, Australlian web sites seem notorious for having no prices.
it's easy to find prices on the sites..

Google "bike shop", "bicycle store" etc etc and narrow it down to Oz sites only.. then browse.

It's not hard to find the info you want.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:33 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anna collins

Thanks for any help.
Have not noticed a huge difference in branded bike costs. My Giant bike in uk cost £300 and a similar one here was $550. More of an issue is what happens to the exchange rate!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:46 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Have not noticed a huge difference in branded bike costs. My Giant bike in uk cost £300 and a similar one here was $550. More of an issue is what happens to the exchange rate!
At least here you have a warranty and somewhere that will take responsibility if its faulty. Only buy in the UK if its good value. In essence its slightly better in the UK at the moment because of the exchange rate. Sounds like you wont be spending much anyway so get it in Aus when you know where you are, what you want and how biking is here for you
Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by copa
it's easy to find prices on the sites..

Google "bike shop", "bicycle store" etc etc and narrow it down to Oz sites only.. then browse.

It's not hard to find the info you want.
But remember, all prices are negotiable

Never ever pay full price for most items.

Old Mar 19th 2010, 10:19 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But remember, all prices are negotiable

Never ever pay full price for most items.
true...

or ask for a few inner tubes and spare tyres to be included in the price..