Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bicycle & Motorcycle helmets – UK to Aus?

Bicycle & Motorcycle helmets – UK to Aus?

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 11:21 am
Pej
Forum Regular

Pej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nice
Default Bicycle & Motorcycle helmets – UK to Aus?

I’ve got a few bicycle and motorcycle helmets here in the UK. I’m wondering whether to put them on my ‘to take’ or ‘to leave’ list for Oz.

I know that helmets in Australia are supposed to satisfy the relevant Australian Standards (bicycle AS-2063 & motorcycle AS-1698 I think), but obviously none of my helmets have the appropriate AS label.

I was wondering how strictly enforced the requirement for an AS standard label was.

Has anyone got any experience or advice regarding taking/using helmets from UK to Oz?

Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bicycle & Motorcycle helmets – UK to Aus?

Good question and one that I would be interested in knowing the answer to as I have an Arai Quantum that I presumed I would be taking and using in Oz.

Surely if it's on their approved list (e.g Arai) you can get an AS sticker for it. I think you can get an ACU Gold sticker here a similar way.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

And also as its on the same sort of topic, bike licenses, how do they transfer?
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 11:39 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
In Qld you just take an extra 5 questions on your theory test based on bikes it's as easy as that.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cadman
Good question and one that I would be interested in knowing the answer to as I have an Arai Quantum that I presumed I would be taking and using in Oz.

Surely if it's on their approved list (e.g Arai) you can get an AS sticker for it. I think you can get an ACU Gold sticker here a similar way.
Found this on google groups http://tinyurl.com/5mebz - might help.

I'm going to opt for the easy route and buy a new one over there, but my lid is overdue for replacement anyway...
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

TheAncientGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gjn200
As far as I am aware it is similar to a car licence, for me I believe it will be a case of taking 2 theory tests; one to convert my car licence, the other to convert my bike entitlement.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 12:09 pm
Pej
Forum Regular

Pej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheAncientGeek
Found this on google groups http://tinyurl.com/5mebz - might help.

I'm going to opt for the easy route and buy a new one over there, but my lid is overdue for replacement anyway...
Thanks for the link. From reading through it, it looks like it’s illegal but you’re unlikely to get caught. Probably much the same as using a non-BS marked helmet in the UK I suppose.

I’m not sure what to do. Not so bothered about the 4 bicycle helmets, but the cost of replacing two Arais is going to be a bit steep.