Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is a bfpo address a uk address?

Is a bfpo address a uk address?

Old Sep 13th 2013, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of
Default Is a bfpo address a uk address?

I am sending a parcel to a bfpo address in cyprus via surface mail for Christmas, do I tell the post office that its going to cyprus or uk for when they are working out the cost? When I usually send a card I put uk on the address, I want to make sure it gets there as the contents of the parcel is worth a bit more than a card.
Thanks
Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is a bfpo address a uk address?

Postage to Operational BFPO addresses (i.e. Afghanistan, Iraq and certain ships) is free up to a certain size and weight limit. The post office will have the list of BFPO addresses that incur a fee and advise you of what it will cost; which should be less than standard parcel post. BFPO addresses in Cyprus are not classed as Operational addresses.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

Thanks for the reply,I sending the parcel from oz so guessing there is no free postage to anywhere even if it was operational. On the address able do I put bfpo 51 uk or bfpo 51 cyprus?
Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sormesher
Thanks for the reply,I sending the parcel from oz so guessing there is no free postage to anywhere even if it was operational. On the address able do I put bfpo 51 uk or bfpo 51 cyprus?

Just address it as (Example)

Name
Unit/Squadron/Ship
BFPO 051
London
UK

I'm not sure how it works in Australia, but if the parcel is going to a serving ADF member, there may be some system in place for mail to the military. If it's going to serving UK personnel, unfortunately you'll be paying full postage.

All BFPO mail goes through a central sorting office in London.

Last edited by Gaz_F; Sep 13th 2013 at 1:22 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot, just wanted to make sure it's right. Not looking forward to the moment when I to.d the price, but the thought of the faces on the other end is priceless.
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/british-forces-po...ress-bfpo-mail

BFPO numbers for Cyprus are 53 for Episkopi, 57 for Akrotiri, 58 for Dhekelia or 59 for Ayios Nikolaos.

The correct format for addressing the parcel if sending from outside the UK is:

Service number, Rank and Name
Unit or Regiment
Operation name (if applicable)
BFPO number
c/o BFPO HQ
United Kingdom

Last edited by BritInParis; Sep 14th 2013 at 9:19 pm. Reason: Changed for posting from Australia.
Old Sep 15th 2013, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future

At our post office (Frankston, Vic) they do not charge for postage even if its going to an English/British regiment as long as its operational, we send regular parcels to our Nephew when he is on duty in Afghanistan and have never paid a Cent.

Cheers,

Rob.