Reload this Page >

Beware the imposter...

Wikiposts

Beware the imposter...

Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beware the imposter...

Having got rid of the dreaded blaster worm last week I was a tad annoyed this morning when the screen goes white and the box pops up telling me our computer is infected and its going to shot down in 50 secs...
Tool bar etc all disappeared but as we had already had the virus I you could see the difference in the pop up box telling you to "click here etc etc". Basically it is a bloody annoying advert for a virus checker

All you computer wizzes probably wouldn't be phazed by this but for a ickle technophobe like me I was a bit annoyed for a second or 2.

moan over..
Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

That's funny, the exact same thing just happened to me 2 minutes ago while I was reading a thread on this site. It looked a bit suspect to me so I just did a 3-finger salute, (alt-ctrl-del) to bring up the task manager and closed the offending application down.

I wonder what happens when it counts down to zero?

Ben
Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it took me a while to think of doing the 3 finger salute and so I saw it count right the way down. Another box comes up saying that your computer is at high risk... and then a full page advert comes up. This was when I realised what I had to do and zap the bugger.
I was on this site too when it happened..
Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:30 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware the imposter...

Originally posted by claireg3
Having got rid of the dreaded blaster worm last week I was a tad annoyed this morning when the screen goes white and the box pops up telling me our computer is infected and its going to shot down in 50 secs...
Tool bar etc all disappeared but as we had already had the virus I you could see the difference in the pop up box telling you to "click here etc etc". Basically it is a bloody annoying advert for a virus checker

All you computer wizzes probably wouldn't be phazed by this but for a ickle technophobe like me I was a bit annoyed for a second or 2.

moan over..
Ditto here as well
Congratulations to the site owners for allowing such a fu**ing stupid advert. Makes the forum so much more appealing when you can't access it for the bloody pop-ups. I don't mind the little boxes but full screen with no way of shutting down accept ctrl Alt del takes the bloody biscuit.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:55 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cresta57
but full screen with no way of shutting down accept ctrl Alt del takes the bloody biscuit.
There are other ways of shuutting them down;

1) If you can see your task bar then right click on the offending item and then select Close

2) If the offending window is the visible active window then you can press Alt-F4 (thats the Function 4 key)

But yes I have to agree that this site will be driving people away with the amount of crap that they are pushing out
Old Aug 17th 2003, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Why don't you get Norton Internet Security. I have never had a single ad or pop-up get through from any site since using it. Well worth £40. It has antivirus, firewall,privacy control, spam alert and parental control included.

The best software I have ever bought.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 10:05 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

oooopppsss! just happened to me but as i'd read this i did ctrl alt del. It seems to be fine for now!
Old Aug 17th 2003, 10:10 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP
There are other ways of shuutting them down;

1) If you can see your task bar then right click on the offending item and then select Close

2) If the offending window is the visible active window then you can press Alt-F4 (thats the Function 4 key)

But yes I have to agree that this site will be driving people away with the amount of crap that they are pushing out

Option 1 unavailable until taskmanager was visible then didn't close when right clicked
Option 2 Thanks for that one never heard of it before
Had to close i.e and reload the page again how many times will I do that before I don't bother any more

I have Norton Systemworks 2003 [Is it on that disc?]but it takes over the whole pc and on my little chipset the pc becomes very slow.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

AintMessin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cresta57
Option 1 unavailable until taskmanager was visible then didn't close when right clicked
If your taskbar is not visible you can press Ctrl Esc. This will bring your task bar up.

Alternativley you can use Alt Tab to cycle between open applications/windows and when you have the one open that you want to nuke press the Alt F4

:lecture:
Old Aug 17th 2003, 11:19 pm

Originally posted by AintMessin
If your taskbar is not visible you can press Ctrl Esc. This will bring your task bar up.

Alternativley you can use Alt Tab to cycle between open applications/windows and when you have the one open that you want to nuke press the Alt F4

:lecture:
Thanks for the tips
I'm off sick for a couple of days tendonitis could it be tooooo much typing?.Naaaa
No it's not that either
Cheers
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

alextoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got zonealarm and never had any pop-ups.

Its free and you can download it from

www.zonealarm.com

All the best

Alex
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

I also use ZoneAlarm and am connected via a router than has a built in firewall too. This is the first pop-up I've ever had but I suspect it's been coded into the site as opposed to a random messenger type pop-up. The fact that those of us who were 'victim' to it were surfing this site at the time is a bit of a clue...

Ben
Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:21 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by alextoo
I've got zonealarm and never had any pop-ups.

Its free and you can download it from

www.zonealarm.com

All the best

Alex

I took note of a previous post advising t use Zone Alarm and also an even earlier one advising ABG anti virus They are both free and have both earned their time with me alfready the ZA advises it has already stopped some over 1200 interferences in 8 days and some were high risk and the AVG found 186 viruses immediately (and I have an up to date norton anti-virus and the anti-virus which comes with my computer package (can't remember the name)

Between these and the stop pop-up[s from AOL 8 I am not having any trouble at present.